Quite new BH16NS55 died -- anything I can do?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
nabla

Quite new BH16NS55 died -- anything I can do?

Post by nabla »

My quite new LG BH16NS55 just died, I think. I had it for just one month. I was inserting a bluray and it could not read it so I ejected it and tried again. Maybe there were some unusual noises, anyway failure again. From this time on, whenever I insert a disk, the drive is just blinking regularly, maybe twice a second. And it does not really try to read the disk as it makes very little noise.

I had flashed HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-NM00400-212004211049.bin in it and also tried a HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.03-NM00600-212005081010.bin now. Until the issues started, I was successfully ripping bluray and 4K discs.

Any idea what I could try? Is the device broken although it's really that new?

Thanks a lot for comments.
exitguy

Re: Quite new BH16NS55 died -- anything I can do?

Post by exitguy »

nabla wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:49 pm
Any idea what I could try? Is the device broken although it's really that new?
Sometimes they do that if the disc is "dirty", i.e. a film is on the surface. I have a BH16NS55 and that has happened a few times.
Use a microfibre clothe and give the surface a really good wipe, place on a flat surface with recorded side up and then use the clothe backwards and forwards pushing down hard, repeat till you go around the whole surface. Sometimes you may need to clean a few times, I had one disc that I cleaned 4 times before it would read and rip.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

You could try completely powering down your drive. If it is in an external enclosure, power it down/unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it in again. If it is inside your computer, power off your computer (don't just restart). Unplug the machine for 20 seconds just to be sure.

There's a tiny computer in your optical drive that runs the firmware and makes your drive do things. Sometimes that tiny computer needs to be restarted. The only way to do that is to completely power off the optical drive.
nabla

Post by nabla »

Thanks for your help.

It's definitely the drive. It starts blinking without a disk when the computer is started and would even stop the booting process. Unfortunately, also disconnecting the power for a while did not help.