My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Someguy1234

My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Post by Someguy1234 »

So,

While MakeMKV's site was down I tried several pieces of software, AnyDVD and DVDFab. When I came back the next day, after rebooting and then uninstalling them, I could no longer read any discs in my external USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive. It will not even try to spin up the disc and show the contents in Windows, and when I put it in MakeMKV I see the dreaded "No Disc" up top. No attempt to even load or read the disc.

So, I've tried to uninstall the external drive from Device Manager in Windows 10 and everything and I've had the same experience each time. Nothing. No disc read activity or anything anymore. I'm fearful that the software I was using may have messed with my drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Billycar11

Re: My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Post by Billycar11 »

What drive do you have?
Does the case have a power switch?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

It was an LG and I just put in another LG to see if it was the drive. It still says No Disc in MakeMKV and will not even read the disc in Windows 10.

BD-RE WH14NS40 is what I just put in and a UH12NS40 is what I took out. The latter was able to read 4K. Neither read anything now because I think the software I used has messed with the external drive being recognized by Windows.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:23 am
What drive do you have?
Yes, It has a power switch. I've turned it off and on a few times, in hopes that might help it reinstall the drive with Windows but no luck. :(
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:23 am
What drive do you have?
UPDATE:

So the older LG drive is able to at least read a Blu-ray now. It just was the 4K discs it wasn't even trying to read. I am seeing it popup in MakeMKV but the older drive may have been bricked or something by AnyDVD or DVDFab? It doesn't work for either 4K or Blu-ray discs anymore.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

So, essentially I had to put an older LG Blu-ray drive in my external enclosure to be able to read a disc again. My original LG drive that could read 4K discs now will not read anything on PC or Mac. I've tried both. MakeMkv will say "No Disc" for it on either type of computer. I don't understand how that AnyDVD HD or DVDFab could have done this to my drive? Does anyone have any idea of how or heard of this type of thing happening? Where AnyDVD has a clone drive ability and such, it could have done something to the drive? Also, DVDFab has some drive software they claim to be able to flash drives, and maybe it in version 12 of their software caused it to try to on my drive? I was just using free trials for both.

Sorry if this is all confusing, it's just very frustrating. Looking for some help to fix the drive that was able to read 4K and now cannot read any discs.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

A SAD PERHAPS FINAL UPDATE:

WELL. I’m left using this older Blu-ray drive now and as a result, as a said before, my old drive seems to have been “bricked” in some way by using the DVDfab and/or AnyDVD HD software trial versions in conjunction with MakeMKV. Because, that drive now is just a “no disc” machine. It won’t even begin to read the disc and nothing will show up in for instance on Windows 10 for the disc under This PC listing all my drives. Usually it would at least load a title for both 4K UHD and the Blu-ray Discs inserted. Now it won’t even attempt to acknowledge anything has even been inserted into the disc tray via either Windows (PC) or even on a a Mac. It’s an external enclosure USB 3.0 drive with a power button, which I have used to try to reset the drive in Windows to no avail. I even went as far as to remove the drive in Windows in device manager, again with no luck. This is really getting me rather sad as I was using this drive a lot for primarily 4K discs. Now, I’m on a drive I have to only be able to access Blu-ray on. So, I need to find some way to figure out if this drive is indeed bricked, FUBAR, what have you, to the point it cannot be fixed even if someone were to flash the drive. It feels like I’m just going to have to end up finding a new drive from someone. Anyone up for the challenge of trying to help me here and fix this? I’ll be happy to pay someone to fix it or do a trade and pay you for a new drive, so that it can at least be used again by someone. I need 4K capabilities back and it seems something involving using the software I mentioned before has caused this. The drive was working perfectly fine before I installed those, yet the next day it never would read a thing again. Even in those softwares before I uninstalled them. My worry is that when I first used them as trials and uninstalled them, it saw I had MakeMKV and decided to also take note I had a drive with correct firmware to do 4K in hopes I’d turn to using their software. I know this sounds like some crackpot conspiracy theory but all I can tell you for sure is I have a drive that’s useless now, as far as I can tell and yeah… that’s pretty much where I’m at.

:( :( :?: :| :cry:

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone else can offer some sort of help. Feel free to private message me if you’re more comfortable with that.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

post your makemkv drive info for the broken drive lets see if anything changed?
im a bit confused does that drive still read regular blurays? you seem to flip back on that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Thanks,

No, it will not read anything anymore. Someone else has a thread with the exact same problem and they also are using AnyDVD. It quit reading discs identical to how it did for me for them. Let me out the drive I’ve been temporary using as a replacement and put the problematic drive back in and give you more info about the drive. Sorry if I had you confused. I was putting another drive in and making sure things still worked and it was just the drive that’s not working. I’ll get you that info about the drive that’s broken we will call it for now. A few moments.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 am
im a bit confused does that drive still read regular blurays? you seem to flip back on that
Billycar11,

Here is the info I get in MakeMKV about the problematic drive. I'll also send a reply later with a link to the thread of the other person having the seemingly identical problem.

I've made it bold to make it stand apart from this text.

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH16NS40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2115-12-11 14:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

AND, yes, my serial number now shows up as nothing. It seems to have been erased. That was not at all a text edit by me. That's how it appears in MakeMKV. And, YES, the firmware date is that insane year 2115. WTH?! :shock: :shock:

Finally, here's the thread for the person (Vertigo99) having an identical problem and that used AnyDVD as well.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25189
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
I also have found some things in the Events in Windows under the device that date right around when this happened and the latter changes were likely me trying to uninstall and reinstall the drive via the device manager in Windows 10.

4/30/2021 8:06:06 PM
Device Deleted

4/30/2021 8:06:13 PM
Device configured (cdrom.inf).

4/30/2021 8:06:14 PM
Device started (cdrom)

and then,

4/30/2021 8:06:52 PM
Device deleted

And, under "Information" in the device's Events tab I have this which I could fully copy/paste:

Device USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_HL-DT-ST&PROD_BD-RE__BH16NS40&REV_1.02\201712000AC2&0 was deleted.

Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

As I said, I think this was me and it shows the only other previous timestamps for the device before these were back in June of last year. I have no clue what happened then, as that's not when I first started using it on this Windows 10 PC.

Lastly, under the device's Driver tab (in Windows), I'm seeing this.

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 USB Device

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.1
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

AND, "Roll Back Driver" is totally grayed out and not an option.

Don't know if any of this info will help but I felt I'd share it. Also, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device (as said and perhaps shown). I'm not sure what to do to try to reset it but not lose the firmware being able to read a 4K UHD disc.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:55 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Billycar11,

Here is the info I get in MakeMKV about the problematic drive. I'll also send a reply later with a link to the thread of the other person having the seemingly identical problem.

Drive Information
Serial number:

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted

AND, yes, my serial number now shows up as nothing. It seems to have been erased. That was not at all a text edit by me. That's how it appears in MakeMKV. And, YES, the firmware date is that insane year 2115. WTH?! :shock: :shock:

Finally, here's the thread for the person (Vertigo99) having an identical problem and that used AnyDVD as well.

i see yeah your dive info all shows as it should work the no serial number is defiantly weird.
2115 is normal idk they add 100 years lol
i have seen this many times with anydvd but usually a simple power cycle fixes it. but 2 threads about it in recent succession is worrying.
i have a few weird ideas how to fix your drive but its probably not worth it like using dos flash with a serial number edited in to see if that fixes it and is unlikely to fix it but i do know the serial numbers location in the firmware just after line 001EC010
but another idea apparently when going between encrypted and unencrypted firmware your seral number can change so maybe that prosses got mess-up on you when you were flashing stuff?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22593&p=92750&hili ... ber#p92750
i dont think i have ever seen it though
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 am
Someguy1234 wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:
Billycar11,

Drive Information
Serial number:

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted

i see yeah your dive info all shows as it should work the no serial number is defiantly weird.
i have seen this many times with anydvd but usually a simple power cycle fixes it. but 2 threads about it in recent succession is worrying.
i have a few weird ideas how to fix your drive but its probably not worth it like using dos flash with a serial number edited in to see if that fixes it and is unlikely to fix it but i do know the serial numbers location in the firmware just after line 001EC010
but another idea apparently when going between encrypted and unencrypted firmware your seral number can change so maybe that prosses got mess-up on you when you were flashing stuff?
I'm not at all familiar with flashing a drive, in fact, I had to buy this drive flashed. I don't get why this is happening to mostly LG and almost the same if not same models?

It's very worrying and I'm not sure I should consider getting an LG as a replacement if I have to.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:54 am

I'm not at all familiar with flashing a drive, in fact, I had to buy this drive flashed. I don't get why this is happening to mostly LG and almost the same if not same models?

It's very worrying and I'm not sure I should consider getting an LG as a replacement if I have to.
well the lg and asus 5.25 drives are the same so i wouldn't let that scare you off.
but i highly recommend the BU40N i sell if you want a drive.
but it does not work with anydvd for UHD
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 am
Someguy1234 wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:
Billycar11,

Drive Information
Serial number:

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted

And see it's important that you know that, I never flashed this drive. It came to me flashed. I haven't done anything to it, itself. All I did was use AnyDVD HD and also DVDFab. It seems that a few people having this issue, ALSO on LG drives that seem to be the same model if not similar, have also used that software along with MakeMKV. As I said before, AnyDVD HD has a clone drive ability to make an ISO or such into a drive that will appear in Windows. Well, I had clicked "Enable AnyDVD" and then "Disable AnyDVD" and uninstalled it. I even tried to reinstall it and try that all over again, hoping it would read the drive or fix things and it didn't help one bit.