My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Woodstock

Re: My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Post by Woodstock »

Host key revocation applies to the key the "player" software uses. MakeMKV's key is different than AnyDVD's, so even if AnyDVD was revoked, MakeMKV's should still work.

But a revoked host key should not result in "no disk".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

htkrs wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:53 pm
Hi, I believe using AnyDVD caused the drive to brick. Newer BD and UHD disks come with updated list of revoked host certificates which the drive copies into its flash memory when those disks are inserted. Perhaps you put a disk with newer AACS list and then AnyDVD presented a revoked AACS host certificate to the drive causing the drive to brick.

This post talks about AACS host revocation: viewtopic.php?p=70119#p70119

I see that one of your drives is flashed with LibreDrive. That surprises me because a feature of LibreDrive is to disable this host revocation.
No, to the guy below, this isn't a conspiracy theory. What he's saying is likely the case. Meanwhile, my drive is still bricked and I'm never using Any DVD again. I'll trust over what I figured in theory, to begin with, over you just coming in and saying "no, that's not how things work" based on your theory of? Your cred of? You came into this with just shaking your head. I'm not trying to be rude, but that's not any help at all. This update on my theory of it is because I was using two other pieces of similar software (competition to MakeMKV) is very insightful, however, the reason that it just brought me to see your disapproval was a bit much. At the same time though, I did see this reply finally.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Insane conspiracy theory by both of you guys. I guess the BluRay laser is dead. That's it.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Can I just add my new woes to this thread?

I have literally just flashed my WH16NS40 and began ripping films. I ripped Dunkirk and Lock Up absolutely fine. Then I inserted American Psycho and when the disc was trying to load instead MKV brought up loads of text. Sadly I dont have the exact text but there was dozens of lines of mentioning "security certificate" over and over again and SCSI was mentioned a lot. I now cannot load any discs, even the ones that worked fine before (Dunkirk and Lock Up).

I have only used VLC Player to play the ripped files.

I just tried to insert a regular blu ray and that wont recognise either.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: KLZ*******
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
kdheslop@gmail.com

Post by kdheslop@gmail.com »

Wondering if any other updates on this? I have been using MakeMKV for 4-5 years now. May of 20 bought

Drive Information
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: KL7K35A5447
Firmware date: 2117-04-25 17:56
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00

No disc inserted

About two weeks ago started getting a "No Disk" message on one of three UHD disks used, now all UHD, DVD are reporting "no disk."
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

kdheslop@gmail.com wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 pm
Wondering if any other updates on this? I have been using MakeMKV for 4-5 years now. May of 20 bought

Drive Information
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: KL7K35A5447
Firmware date: 2117-04-25 17:56
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00

No disc inserted

About two weeks ago started getting a "No Disk" message on one of three UHD disks used, now all UHD, DVD are reporting "no disk."
Clean the disc and drive laser if that don't work it's dead.
You can try reflashing the firmware but that rarely fixes it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
marky

Post by marky »

I'm new here but I've seen this with my asus bw-16d1ht drive... mine won't read any discs through windows but stopped working after a recent windows update (i know!) strange thing is i tried a DVD (an old windows vista setup disc i had handy) and that wasn't recognised through windows. however it was recognised through the boot loader when i tried to restart and setup kicked in!

To me, this seems to me to point to something in windows preventing access somehow...
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:27 am
A SAD PERHAPS FINAL UPDATE:

WELL. I’m left using this older Blu-ray drive now and as a result, as a said before, my old drive seems to have been “bricked” in some way by using the DVDfab and/or AnyDVD HD software trial versions in conjunction with MakeMKV. Because, that drive now is just a “no disc” machine. It won’t even begin to read the disc and nothing will show up in for instance on Windows 10 for the disc under This PC listing all my drives. Usually it would at least load a title for both 4K UHD and the Blu-ray Discs inserted. Now it won’t even attempt to acknowledge anything has even been inserted into the disc tray via either Windows (PC) or even on a a Mac. It’s an external enclosure USB 3.0 drive with a power button, which I have used to try to reset the drive in Windows to no avail. I even went as far as to remove the drive in Windows in device manager, again with no luck. This is really getting me rather sad as I was using this drive a lot for primarily 4K discs. Now, I’m on a drive I have to only be able to access Blu-ray on. So, I need to find some way to figure out if this drive is indeed bricked, FUBAR, what have you, to the point it cannot be fixed even if someone were to flash the drive. It feels like I’m just going to have to end up finding a new drive from someone. Anyone up for the challenge of trying to help me here and fix this? I’ll be happy to pay someone to fix it or do a trade and pay you for a new drive, so that it can at least be used again by someone. I need 4K capabilities back and it seems something involving using the software I mentioned before has caused this. The drive was working perfectly fine before I installed those, yet the next day it never would read a thing again. Even in those softwares before I uninstalled them. My worry is that when I first used them as trials and uninstalled them, it saw I had MakeMKV and decided to also take note I had a drive with correct firmware to do 4K in hopes I’d turn to using their software. I know this sounds like some crackpot conspiracy theory but all I can tell you for sure is I have a drive that’s useless now, as far as I can tell and yeah… that’s pretty much where I’m at.

:( :( :?: :| :cry:

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone else can offer some sort of help. Feel free to private message me if you’re more comfortable with that.
Send me the drives and I will fix free of charge, I feel sorry for all the hassle you have had. I will advise if parts are required. If you are based in Europe or the UK this would be okay.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
marky

Post by marky »

to test my theory, I booted into linux and unfortunately, i had the same symptoms there, no disc recognised, so I'll give it a clean and see if we can recover!
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

marky wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:17 am
to test my theory, I booted into linux and unfortunately, i had the same symptoms there, no disc recognised, so I'll give it a clean and see if we can recover!
I agree with Billy, likely Bluray laser gone. I would advise you to buy a new BU40N of Billy saying you are in the states and you have already been talking to him.

Bye for Now

Asmcom
phileeny

Post by phileeny »

I too have this problem of drive no longer reading discs.
I have two LG BH16NS55 drives, the first was down graded to 1.02 to read 4k Blu-rays and worked great for a long time, then it started to give me errors on 4k rips like.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading
and hash errors like
Too many hash check errors in file 00055.m2ts. (always the main film file)
But DVDs and Blu-rays would rip fine, so I decided to get another LG BH16NS55 as a backup ripping drive just in case, this second drive came with firmware 1.04 but ripped 4k Blu-ray out of the box with LibreDrive.
Then one day months later the first drive didn't see a disc loaded, took it out and gave it a clean and it ripped fine, then it was hit and miss if the first drive would read a disc.
As of today the first drive will not detect any 4k Blu-ray or Blu-ray loaded with any software, I can hear it trying to read the disc then It says no disc, oddly DVD still read and rip fine.
The second drive reads and rips DVDs and Blu-rays fine but with 4k Blu-rays I always get a (Too many hash check errors in file...m2ts.) even on discs I've ripped fine before.

I'm going to remove the first drive and open it up and clean the laser with isopropanol.
Unraid media server (self confessed data hoarder)
Zidoo x9 player
65" TV
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

phileeny wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:04 am
I too have this problem of drive no longer reading discs.
I have two LG BH16NS55 drives, the first was down graded to 1.02 to read 4k Blu-rays and worked great for a long time, then it started to give me errors on 4k rips like.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading
and hash errors like
Too many hash check errors in file 00055.m2ts. (always the main film file)
But DVDs and Blu-rays would rip fine, so I decided to get another LG BH16NS55 as a backup ripping drive just in case, this second drive came with firmware 1.04 but ripped 4k Blu-ray out of the box with LibreDrive.
Then one day months later the first drive didn't see a disc loaded, took it out and gave it a clean and it ripped fine, then it was hit and miss if the first drive would read a disc.
As of today the first drive will not detect any 4k Blu-ray or Blu-ray loaded with any software, I can hear it trying to read the disc then It says no disc, oddly DVD still read and rip fine.
The second drive reads and rips DVDs and Blu-rays fine but with 4k Blu-rays I always get a (Too many hash check errors in file...m2ts.) even on discs I've ripped fine before.

I'm going to remove the first drive and open it up and clean the laser with isopropanol.
Make sure when you buy a drive that it is a 2021 model with latest hardware. I found this model LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B to give a lot of problems. The BH16NS55 drives I have are very reliable. In over 750 drives I have had 3 faulty. :mrgreen:
marky

Post by marky »

yep, laser gone, replacement drive now in and working!
phileeny

Post by phileeny »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:46 am
I found this model LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B to give a lot of problems. The BH16NS55 drives I have are very reliable. In over 750 drives I have had 3 faulty.
I have seen the drive for sale as:
LG BH16NS55.AVBR10B
LG BH16NS55.AHLU10B
LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B
my problem drive has three logos on the draw left to right (m-disc, LG, Blu-ray)
my second drive has two logos on the draw left to right (Super multi, Blu-ray)
and I've seen another drive with four logos, on the draw (LG) and under (Blu-ray, m-disc, BD recorder)
but how do I know which is the latest 2021 model
Zidoo x9 player
65" TV
phileeny

Post by phileeny »

Just a quick note I've just ordered the BU40N and a compatible sata cable to connect to computer.
Zidoo x9 player
65" TV