Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Someguy1234

Re: My Disc Drive no longer reads discs - "No Disc"

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:59 am
Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:54 am

I'm not at all familiar with flashing a drive, in fact, I had to buy this drive flashed. I don't get why this is happening to mostly LG and almost the same if not same models?

It's very worrying and I'm not sure I should consider getting an LG as a replacement if I have to.
well the lg and asus 5.25 drives are the same so i wouldn't let that scare you off.
but i highly recommend the BU40N i sell if you want a drive.
but it does not work with anydvd for UHD
Oh, I never even wanted AnyDVD HD. I had used it in the past before I switched to this and I was only trying to use it to see if I might have to use it in the future. See, I was worried the website for MakeMKV wasn't loading and reading some reddit posts. ALWAYS A BAD IDEA. LOL.. But, long story short here. I don't know what this drive is now aside from a BRICK. :oops: :? :cry:

Now I can't rip a damn 4K disc or read anything in this drive, and had to resort to putting another LG drive that's not flashed in it. So, again, I'm stuck only able to rip Blu-ray and this friggin' SUCKS.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:59 am
Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:54 am

I'm not at all familiar with flashing a drive, in fact, I had to buy this drive flashed. I don't get why this is happening to mostly LG and almost the same if not same models?

It's very worrying and I'm not sure I should consider getting an LG as a replacement if I have to.
well the lg and asus 5.25 drives are the same so i wouldn't let that scare you off.
but i highly recommend the BU40N i sell if you want a drive.
but it does not work with anydvd for UHD
Would using your autoflash kit you mention in your signature work?? At this point, I'm willing to try to figure out what to do with this drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am

Would using your autoflash kit you mention in your signature work?? At this point, I'm willing to try to figure out what to do with this drive.
we could give it a shot its free if it does not work.
email me with your info again and i'll send it over
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

FINAL UPDATE:

This drive could not be fixed. I have no clue what happened to it. Very alarming. :roll: :?:
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Have you had any windows updates recently? Sometimes the malware protection settings in windows can do this to drive's.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:45 am
Have you had any windows updates recently? Sometimes the malware protection settings in windows can do this to drive's.
YES! Hmm... Everyone take note of that. I also have malware protection going, as do most. So, this could be why. But, what's the solution to it? :?:
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
YES! Hmm... Everyone take note of that. I also have malware protection going, as do most. So, this could be why. But, what's the solution to it? :?:
See if there is a way to add the drive as an exception or whitelist.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:28 pm
Someguy1234 wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
How would you go about that say for just the typical Windows Defender? Or AVG or such?? Are you saying that some firewall or software could actually attempt to block the drive from reading?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:40 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Someguy1234 wrote:

How would you go about that say for just the typical Windows Defender? Or AVG or such?? Are you saying that some firewall or software could actually attempt to block the drive from reading?
Please ignore my previous messages. I was getting 2 separate issues mixed up. What I was thinking of is MakeMKV couldn’t see the drive any longer, which lately seems to be the windows 10 ransomware tool. You can add MakeMKV exe flies as exceptions which usually resolves this issue but your problem is discs not being read. Sounds like the laser could be dirty or stuffed, especially if windows explorer can’t even see the disc content.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am
Someguy1234 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:40 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Please ignore my previous messages. I was getting 2 separate issues mixed up. What I was thinking of is MakeMKV couldn’t see the drive any longer, which lately seems to be the windows 10 ransomware tool. You can add MakeMKV exe flies as exceptions which usually resolves this issue but your problem is discs not being read. Sounds like the laser could be dirty or stuffed, especially if windows explorer can’t even see the disc content.
As many discs I as insert, it's no wonder I could make a laser go out. I killed the Blu-ray laser in my original PS3 because I inserted like 2000+ Blu-ray Discs in it. However, it seems a tad odd to me that it went out right after using AnyDVD HD and DVDFab, competitors.
Vertigo99

Post by Vertigo99 »

Hi, I have been having this same problem. I have both MAKEMKV and AnyDVD installed. It was working fine for several years until suddenly one day about a month ago, out of the blue, the drive could not see ANY DVD, Blu Ray, or 4K movie disks. It did not even recognize that they were inserted, but it worked just fine with reading and writing any kind of data disk. Even Windows does not recognize that there is a disk inserted in the drive. It had been working just fine for several years. Strangely enough, even a portable USB Blue Ray burner that works fine on my other computers, will not recognize movies when it was plugged into this computer. The internal drive is an LG WH16NS60 that originally had Firmware 1.05 on it when it was working. I downgraded the firmware to 1.02 to see if that would help, and it did not. The USB drive was an LG BE12LU38 that looks like it is running firmware 1.00.

For other reasons, I needed to clean off the drive for this computer, reformat and reinstall windows. I reinstalled MakeMKV and AnyDVD, and the drive will still not recognize any movie disks from DVD's on up to 4k's. But it is ok with various DVD and Blu Ray data disks. Strangely enough though, the portable USB drive will now recognize movie disks. For the present time anyway. I will uninstall AnyDVD and see if that helps, because I think that this problem might have started happening several weeks after I installed AnyDVD. But during those several weeks, it was working just fine. Below is the drive information from MakeMKV

Internal Drive Information:
Drive Information
OS device name: K:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK97G3KA522
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

USB Drive Information:
Drive Information
OS device name: L:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BE12LU38
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K9RC2HN1414
Firmware date: 2011-06-07 12:34:56
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Status: Possible, might be supported in future, but not likely soon
Drive platform: RS1013
Firmware version: 1.00-C1
:wink:
Vertigo99

Post by Vertigo99 »

As an update to my previous post. I uninstalled Any DVD and rebooted and the drive will still not recognize any movie disk. So then I uninstalled MakeMKV and rebooted, and the drive will still not recognize any movie disk. I tried reflashing the firmware after removing MakeMKV and Any DVD and that did not change anything either, but I have not rebooted after reflashing, so I will try that after I finish up some work.

I don't think that this is a dirty laser issue, because the drive can read and write DVD and Blu Ray data disks just fine. Plus it is not having problems reading a movie disk, it just does not even try to read the disk when you insert it. You can easily tell when a drive is having problems with a disk, as it tries over and over to read it. But there is none of that going on. When you insert a movie disk, it's just dead silence.
:wink:
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Vertigo99 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 pm
As an update to my previous post. I uninstalled Any DVD and rebooted and the drive will still not recognize any movie disk. So then I uninstalled MakeMKV and rebooted, and the drive will still not recognize any movie disk. I tried reflashing the firmware after removing MakeMKV and Any DVD and that did not change anything either, but I have not rebooted after reflashing, so I will try that after I finish up some work.

I don't think that this is a dirty laser issue because the drive can read and write DVD and Blu Ray data disks just fine. Plus it is not having problems reading a movie disk, it just does not even try to read the disk when you insert it. You can easily tell when an optical disc drive is having problems with a disk, as it tries over and over to read it. But there is none of that going on. When you insert a movie disk, it's just dead silence.
That's exactly what happened to my drive, which is now dead IMO. I had to replace it with another drive, ironically a very similar one. The drive (that died) will not even make noises, as you said, attempting to read a disc. As you said, when there's a problem with a drive reading a disc it can sound as loud as a jet engine about to take off. Not a single noise is made once you insert the disc into the tray. It'll blink the light once and just gives up. It has to be something here to do with the use of the competitor software. I think they bricked our drives when we uninstalled AnyDVD HD and kept MakeMKV. That may sound crazy, but they can honestly do whatever they want to your drive when using software like this and they know you aren't going to be able to do a thing about it legally.

Vertigo99, I hate to tell you but the drive is probably best to just get rid of and find a new drive. It's odd that you were not on a "flashed" drive before this happened, as I was. I think that firmware is what caught the attention of AnyDVD HD and perhaps DVDFab. They saw I didn't need their tool and really even software, and when I go to uninstall - BAM! Bricked.
htkrs

Post by htkrs »

Hi, I believe using AnyDVD caused the drive to brick. Newer BD and UHD disks come with updated list of revoked host certificates which the drive copies into its flash memory when those disks are inserted. Perhaps you put a disk with newer AACS list and then AnyDVD presented a revoked AACS host certificate to the drive causing the drive to brick.

This post talks about AACS host revocation: viewtopic.php?p=70119#p70119

I see that one of your drives is flashed with LibreDrive. That surprises me because a feature of LibreDrive is to disable this host revocation.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

htkrs,

that's plain bullshit and a conspiracy theory. We want to stay with facts.