Probably need to buy another drive...

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
thejm

Probably need to buy another drive...

Post by thejm »

Hey guys!

I have 1 LG WH14NS40 drive and 2 LG WH16NS40 drives in the same computer all flashed to accept 4k disks and all were working properly until recently.

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that my newest WH16NS40 drive stopped showing up in windows. I rebooted the computer, changed out the power cable, swapped the SATA cable on the back and nothing fixed the problem permanently. It will come back for a day and then leave. It is only 4 months old and have probably ripped ~50 disks or so with it. It is running HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_WH16NS40_1.02 FW.

Is it time to get a new one? Is there any sense in using the warranty? It was only like $70 new so im not too concerned about the warranty just disappointed I guess and am wondering whether i should go for a different, more reliable model or whether i got a lemon.

If I get a new drive, what model would you recommend? I have seen a recommendation for the BH16NS55 but cant find any for sale. I have flashed the 3 drives i have on my own so i can probably flash the new one but am also open to buying a flashed one if it make sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!
JM

PS if you suggest a flashed one please give me a recommendation on who to contact or where to get it. Thanks!

when i go to the suggested vendors in the below about halfway down the page below it takes me to a Russian site and says the page if blocked.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
Billycar11

Re: Probably need to buy another drive...

Post by Billycar11 »

I recommend the BU40N the BH drive is exactly the same as the WH drives and the same as the asus BH just means it comes in a box WH I guess is wholesale/oem bare drive.
If you want a preflashed and tested one see my link below
Last edited by Billycar11 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thejm

Post by thejm »

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in the OP that the drive needs to fit into an 5.25" bay.

I see that drive is slimmer than the standard 5.25" bay. Is there some sort of adaptor that it fits in to make that work?

What is the speed of the drive compared to the WH16 drives that i already have?
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

thejm wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 pm
Hey guys!

I have 1 LG WH14NS40 drive and 2 LG WH16NS40 drives in the same computer all flashed to accept 4k disks and all were working properly until recently.

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that my newest WH16NS40 drive stopped showing up in windows. I rebooted the computer, changed out the power cable, swapped the SATA cable on the back and nothing fixed the problem permanently. It will come back for a day and then leave. It is only 4 months old and have probably ripped ~50 disks or so with it. It is running HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_WH16NS40_1.02 FW.

Is it time to get a new one? Is there any sense in using the warranty? It was only like $70 new so im not too concerned about the warranty just disappointed I guess and am wondering whether i should go for a different, more reliable model or whether i got a lemon.

If I get a new drive, what model would you recommend? I have seen a recommendation for the BH16NS55 but cant find any for sale. I have flashed the 3 drives i have on my own so i can probably flash the new one but am also open to buying a flashed one if it make sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!
JM

PS if you suggest a flashed one please give me a recommendation on who to contact or where to get it. Thanks!

when i go to the suggested vendors in the below about halfway down the page below it takes me to a Russian site and says the page if blocked.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
Why are these LG drives failing?? I have a similar issue. My drive quit reading discs entirely.

viewtopic.php?p=108383
thejm

Post by thejm »

I ended up calling Alex at the info in the link below and purchasing an ASUS BW-16D1HT from him already flashed.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829

I have flashed 3 of my own drives but wanted his advice on which drive to get since I wasn't happy with the LG drives so I decided to buy one from him. Really happy that I did so I didn't throw my money away on another LG.

I have only ripped 1 4K movie with the new drive but seems to be working fine. It also finished about a third faster than my LG WH16N40 drive. Don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

If you are in the market for a new drive, shoot him a text or email!

@jonghotti