Asus BW-16D1HT scratched UHD Disc

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
agent4797

Asus BW-16D1HT scratched UHD Disc

Post by agent4797 »

Has anyone else had problem with the BW-16D1HT scratching disc before? One of my UHD disc is so damaged that Makemkv can’t copy the file anymore.

Do I have a very rare defective model or is that normal? Any way to fix it or should I return it under warranty?
Billycar11

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT scratched UHD Disc

Post by Billycar11 »

agent4797 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 am
Has anyone else had problem with the BW-16D1HT scratching disc before? One of my UHD disc is so damaged that Makemkv can’t copy the file anymore.

Do I have a very rare defective model or is that normal? Any way to fix it or should I return it under warranty?
sadly any drive can do this it usually happens when it is having a hard time reading the disc and is moving the laser up and down to focus.
any time you hear a drive struggling to read a disc speeding up and down stop it right away and clean the disc to try and prevent this.
the laser lens may be permanently damaged i think they are just plastic and so is the disc so they can scratch each other.
i would ask asus to replace the disc but good luck with that its not worth the time to put in to it.
if the drive functions normal still and does not scratch any other discs keep it if not return it every one of those asus and lg 5.25 drive is a gamble if its good or not
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
morbius

Post by morbius »

this happened to me not long ago, my Asus badly damaged a Chernobyl UHD disc, deep circular scratch, not even my LG BU40N could get past it. I bought a new Asus on the assumption that the drive should probably not be used again (I like its read speed for my blu rays), but I'll probably stick with the LG for UHD's from now on.
agent4797

Post by agent4797 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 am
agent4797 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 am

sadly any drive can do this it usually happens when it is having a hard time reading the disc and is moving the laser up and down to focus.
any time you hear a drive struggling to read a disc speeding up and down stop it right away and clean the disc to try and prevent this.
the laser lens may be permanently damaged i think they are just plastic and so is the disc so they can scratch each other.
i would ask asus to replace the disc but good luck with that its not worth the time to put in to it.
if the drive functions normal still and does not scratch any other discs keep it if not return it every one of those asus and lg 5.25 drive is a gamble if its good or not
Thank you for the tips! It actually made some nasty noises when trying to read the disc so it must've been dirty or something. I'll keep in mind next time it makes the same sound so I can clean the disc before putting it in again
agent4797

Post by agent4797 »

morbius wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 pm
this happened to me not long ago, my Asus badly damaged a Chernobyl UHD disc, deep circular scratch, not even my LG BU40N could get past it. I bought a new Asus on the assumption that the drive should probably not be used again (I like its read speed for my blu rays), but I'll probably stick with the LG for UHD's from now on.
hmm that's interesting, I was actually thinking about buying a second unit to speed up my ripping. I'll go with the LG one and see which one works better :) thx