Is LG-BU40N limited by USB power?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
IGiveYouAll

Is LG-BU40N limited by USB power?

Post by IGiveYouAll »

Hi everybody!

Lurker in here reading all I can to rip my Bluray collection.

I have lots of doubts but may I concrete one in this first post.

I'm looking into buying my first UHD drive, don't mind if it is internal or external, so I have read about you guys talking nicely about the LG-BU40N.

That you use to pair with this Vantec enclosure https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193X0KKO

Having read somewhere in this forum that USB powering this thing can limite the speeds of the drive or give malfunctions.

I ask you, is this true? How do I get this drive to be at full speed while connected to USB, do all USB ports offer the same power? And what if I am in a laptop?

Thank you, I have searched a lot on this forum but this lil problem keeps me away from buying now.
Woodstock

Re: Is LG-BU40N limited by USB power?

Post by Woodstock »

All USB-powered drives can have problems with the available USB power on the port they're plugged in to.

If it is a "fully powered" USB 2 or 3 port, it should not be an issue. If you use a hub, make sure it has its own power supply.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jaylumx

Re: Is LG-BU40N limited by USB power?

Post by jaylumx »

IGiveYouAll wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:35 am
Hi everybody!

Lurker in here reading all I can to rip my Bluray collection.

I have lots of doubts but may I concrete one in this first post.

I'm looking into buying my first UHD drive, don't mind if it is internal or external, so I have read about you guys talking nicely about the LG-BU40N.

That you use to pair with this Vantec enclosure https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193X0KKO

Having read somewhere in this forum that USB powering this thing can limite the speeds of the drive or give malfunctions.

I ask you, is this true? How do I get this drive to be at full speed while connected to USB, do all USB ports offer the same power? And what if I am in a laptop?

Thank you, I have searched a lot on this forum but this lil problem keeps me away from buying now.
Just make sure you use USB 3.0 or you will have problems.

When I used USB 1.0, the movie I was playing would cut out in less than five minutes and when I used USB 2.0 I would get halfway through the film before it cut out.