lg wh16ns40, 2014 firmware, bdxl compatibility?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
FREEDOM35

lg wh16ns40, 2014 firmware, bdxl compatibility?

Post by FREEDOM35 »

just got a good deal on a used wh16ns40, manufactured in November 2014. will old drives like this rip blu rays without any firmware changes? and does the old firmware have any compatibly issues for non ripping use cases, such as making bdxl(3 layer)data discs for archival purposes)? I ordered the drive on offer-up(15 dollars) so I will give more info when it arrives. my main purpose for blu ray burners is archival on m discs, and i use a lot of bdxl m discs, so if the old firmware has issues with these discs i may upgrade despite the uhd lock, but im hoping the old firmware works fine on windows 10 and bdxl discs so I can keep the old firmware and also maybe rip a few blur rays.
Woodstock

Re: lg wh16ns40, 2014 firmware, bdxl compatibility?

Post by Woodstock »

It is not capable of the "BDXL" used for UHD, but it should be an "adequate" drive for regular BD reading.

As for writing disks... I had a slightly newer version of that drive that I removed from service a couple of years ago, and I was unable to get it to write 2-layer BDs. Didn't bother trying anything higher, since they would be more expensive coasters.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging