LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting)??

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
njweb

LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting)??

Post by njweb »

I did a search for 'BU40N' and 'spinning' but could not find any hits.
When I perform a disc ripping operation (e.g. with one of my UHD original discs), even after the operation has completed (100%), the drive stays in spin up mode / disc keeps spinning.
Unless I open the tray, the spinning continues indefinitely which could wear down the motor over a period of time.

Aside from manually ejecting the drive tray every time when the disc reading operation has completed, which is not a convenient solution since sometimes I leave for a while and come back an hour or more later, is there any systematic way to stop this continual spinning / spin up from happening?
Woodstock

Re: LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting

Post by Woodstock »

That may be MakeMKV trying to get around the sleep bug - a lot of UHD drives won't work after they stop spinning.

You can test this by exiting MakeMKV. If the drive doesn't stop, something else is keeping it moving.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
njweb

Re: LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting

Post by njweb »

Thanks.
Sorry, to clarify, I posted here since I bought it based on recommendations here for use with MakeMKV, which I have used. This was happening with CloneBD, but I think it happens with MakeMKV too (but have not use MakeMKV for over a month). Pretty sure that even after exiting the program it continues, until I eject the tray...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

The default behavior of makemkv is after rip is done drive spins down you have something else causing that
Every BU40N I ever tested spins down after rip
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com