MakeMKV Crashes Computer When Accessing UHD Friendly Drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
BlenderRookie

MakeMKV Crashes Computer When Accessing UHD Friendly Drive

Post by BlenderRookie »

I have an Asus asus BC-16D1HT blu ray drive that has firmware version 3.0 so it is a UHD friendly drive. The drive works fine in every application other than MakeMKV, but when MakeMKV tries to access it, my computer locks up.

I also have an Asus BC-12D2HT with firmware version 3.01 which isn't natively UHD friendly and it works fine with MakeMKV.

Is this a precursor to a drive failure or has the LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=0C5D2E3D15D1) been updated and something about it now doesn't like firmware 3.0 and older?

I first noticed this glitch after installing a new MB and updating MakeMKV. MakeMKV v1.15.4 win(x64-release)

Feel free to move this thread if it's best discussed in a different location

UPDATE: I updated MakeMKV to v1.16.1 and the issue seems to be gone. I will update again if it changes.

FINAL UPDATE: After updating to v1.16.1 the issue largely went away. However, it sometimes would still happen. So I think there was an issue with the previous version v1.15.4. However, I also was having RAM timing issues after replacing my MB. The RAM timing issues were fixed prior to using makeMKV. But, in the meantime the timing issues caused multiple crashes. Multiple crashes caused some corrupt system files. These corrupt system files were also causing windows file manager to act weirdly. I ended up running the command prompt and the sfc /scannow command to verify the integrity of the system files, of which several dozen files(some in system 32) were identified as corrupt and repaired. As of now all the issues seem to be fixed. I am having no more makeMKV, optical drive or file manager issues.

I added all that information because the issues were(I believe) caused by an entire chain of events that led to multiple small problems.