UHD Disc exploded

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Skijackz

UHD Disc exploded

Post by Skijackz »

So I just had Inception explode and almost disintegrate in my WH16NS40 drive trying to rip. Sounded like a circuit popping and bam, pieces of the blu-ray.

Why would this happen? Should I exchange the player?
zukb86

Re: UHD Disc exploded

Post by zukb86 »

Hey there, I just had the same thing happen to me on a regular bluray (From Russia with Love). I had been trying to rip Black Hawk Down UHD earlier last week though and the drive had been acting strangely (ASUS BW-16D1HT). I bought via a seller on here with the firmware so I could rip UHDs.
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Are there no other replies and possible explanations for this? How is this even possible? I take it the drives are completely destroyed in both instances.

If it's bad firmware can you name the firmware used, and the seller? I've just ordered a drive so now I'm worried!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Exploding" disks do not necessarily take out the drive, just as a plate shattering on a floor doesn't necessarily damage the floor itself. Both certainly need to be CLEANED.

A disk can shatter due to unseen cracks in its structure. Technically, the design calls for them to withstand 300 rpm, which is "1x speed". The cracks can be tiny.

I put some blame on the case designers. I get a LOT of disks in shipping cases that have been damaged in shipment, but I also get a lot where trying to release the disk from the case involves a lot of flexing. I'm seriously grateful that ripping makes it unlikely to need to take those disks out multiple times over their lives.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

That's really interesting, thanks. Most of my discs are in mint or near new condition having only been ripped or played a couple of times, so I reckon it's extremely unlikely I'd encounter anything like this.

I know when trying to manually break discs in the past (from failed burns etc) it requires a lot of muscle indeed, so I'm still surprised. Is it the heat of the laser that causes expansion along a minor crack or weakness causing it to shatter?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

More the general resistance to flexing that makes them "strong".

Next time you feel the urge to break a disk, though, take a pair of needle-nose pliers and take a VERY small chunk out of the hub area. It will probably break a lot easier.

My copy of Last Starfighter has a rather large chunk missing from the hub, due to it being "stuck" in the case. I've ripped it twice successfully, but I limited the speed by slowing MakeMKV's writing to disk when I did it. I probably should have returned it when I found it broken, but...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging