LG BU40N region relevance

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
arcyfire

LG BU40N region relevance

Post by arcyfire »

I am pretty new here and just yesterday flashed a LG BU40N (came with 1.04) with the 1.04MK firmware - I used the SDFtool Flasher and everything worked first try. Flashed it on a windows tablet and using the drive on Mac now (which I will probably only use with MakeMKV unless it stops working).

I knew (or thought) no matter what I want to do afterwards I first need to patch 1.04 with 1.04MK and then downgrade (either 1.03MK or 1.00). So I looked through the BU40N folders and the only one containing a 1.04 was the "BU40N-N-Main". "Main" sounded right so I used this, checked the "enc" box, flashed the "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin" and everything worked as described. Tested the drive on the Mac and noticed it was LibreDrive enabled so no need for 1.03MK downgrade.

However afterwards I read somewhere that there are region differences for the BU40N and now I am a little worried. I am from Europe (Germany) and bought the drive from Amazon (no market place). If there are region differences I should have the U version? This was in no way evident before or on the drive sticker (which also said 1.04 btw). N however is said to be USA. So did I crossflash the drive and now have a US drive? What confuses me even more is the fact that the other (europe?) folde is called "BU40N-U-Tier2-Non-UHD".

So was this the intended way or did I do something strange? If I crossflashed or changed the region, will there be some consequences for this I may not notice now? Maybe some region issued which might affect the output MKV?
And if this was indeed wrong, is there a different 1.04 mk or other working firmware for the European version?
Billycar11

Re: LG BU40N region relevance

Post by Billycar11 »

No don't worry region does not matter
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
arcyfire

Post by arcyfire »

Do you mean in general as "the region of the drive does not matter for ripping" or "the region of the BU40N does not matter, they are all the same"?

Because I am still confused why the EU version is listed as "non UHD" in the firmware folder, it was listed as UHD.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

arcyfire wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:20 pm
Do you mean in general as "the region of the drive does not matter for ripping" or "the region of the BU40N does not matter, they are all the same"?

Because I am still confused why the EU version is listed as "non UHD" in the firmware folder, it was listed as UHD.
The region of firmware you flash does not matter
And makemkv makes the drive region free
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
bachelorbob

Post by bachelorbob »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:03 pm
I flashed my LG BU40N long ago and posted the route to success on a Mac. Now I have my first non-Region 1 discs (DVDs; Region 2) and the drive is rejecting them.

How is it that the 'downgrade' to firmware v1.00 left it as Region 1?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bachelorbob wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:32 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:03 pm
I flashed my LG BU40N long ago and posted the route to success on a Mac. Now I have my first non-Region 1 discs (DVDs; Region 2) and the drive is rejecting them.

How is it that the 'downgrade' to firmware v1.00 left it as Region 1?
how is it rejecting them?
makemkv should get around it what are the errors?
bachelorbob

Post by bachelorbob »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:44 pm
I do not use makemkv, other than for the initial firmware flash. I use DVDFab (BD/UHD) and MDRP (DVD) for full disk copying to ISOs on a Mac.

Both applications and Apple's DVD Player reject the Region 2 DVDs, as the drive reports as Region 1. A prior (non-UHD) drive worked as Region 0 / region-free, so it is possible. So the issue is either the LG BU40N or makemkv not successfully flashing to Region 0.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bachelorbob wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:14 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:44 pm
I do not use makemkv, other than for the initial firmware flash. I use DVDFab (BD/UHD) and MDRP (DVD) for full disk copying to ISOs on a Mac.

Both applications and Apple's DVD Player reject the Region 2 DVDs, as the drive reports as Region 1. A prior (non-UHD) drive worked as Region 0 / region-free, so it is possible. So the issue is either the LG BU40N or makemkv not successfully flashing to Region 0.
ask dvdfab i guess u bet it would work on makemkv
bachelorbob

Post by bachelorbob »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:36 am
Hard to interpret that sentence.

DVDFab is not the issue, as multiple applications see the drive as Region 1. Apple's DVD Player even offers to reset the region. Ergo, the issue is within the drive, the firmware flash not having properly set it to Region 0.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

bachelorbob wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:59 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:36 am
Hard to interpret that sentence.

DVDFab is not the issue, as multiple applications see the drive as Region 1. Apple's DVD Player even offers to reset the region. Ergo, the issue is within the drive, the firmware flash not having properly set it to Region 0.
IF I'm reading your issue correctly, the FW change doesn't make the drive "region free" (or region specific). That's always been a native function of MakeMKV & won't necessarily extend to other apps. FW just (re-) enables LibreDrive functionality in MakeMKV.
bachelorbob

Post by bachelorbob »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:54 pm
IF I'm reading your issue correctly, the FW change doesn't make the drive "region free" (or region specific). That's always been a native function of MakeMKV & won't necessarily extend to other apps. FW just (re-) enables LibreDrive functionality in MakeMKV.
A-ha! Here is the problem.

So, is there a firmware that *does* set an LG BU40N drive to Region 0? (I accomplished this on a Panasonic/Matshita drive back in the 4x DVD days, long before BD or UHD.) I also have a Matshita UJ-267 and Apple SuperDrive. If none can be flashed to Region 0, I will have to set one to Region 2 in order to access Black Mirror S1-4 DVDs.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Ir's been years since I saw a "region free" FW for any drive (but I haven't really looked).

- Rip titles to .mkv w/ MakeMKV, as they will now have no notion of "region".

- Use MakeMKV to rip to folder (BD, decrypt)/ISO (DVD). The result should then be "region free" to do w/ as you will.

- Use VLC w/ the MakeMKV "integration" feature (IIRC, requires a paid license?) for playback.

edit: This old school method MAY still work to achieve the same result?