No disk inserted and various reading problems

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Daxelinho

No disk inserted and various reading problems

Post by Daxelinho »

Hi,

since today I cannot read bluray and UHD-disks reliable anymore.

I use an Asus BW-16D1HT drive and flashed a BC-12D2HT firmware on it with the Asus Odd FW Changer. I attached a screenshot from MakeMKV for all information. This worked since I bought the drive. Until today.

It all started with "The Prestige" by Christopher Nolan in UHD. Initially, it didn't work, it showd "No disk inserted". So I updated the firmware and MakeMKV and then it worked somehow. The next UHD-disk was Dunkirk, everything worked flawlessly and fast. After that I tried "Batman Begins" in UHD and here the trouble started to kick in.
It took some time (around 2 minutes) to recognize the Disk and then the errorcode 002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-ROM ASUS BC-12D2HT 3.11' at offset '2752512'

After that no other disk, whether a normal Bluray that I already ripped succesfully nor UHD disks I ripped succesfully (e.g. Dunkirk) were recoginzed at all. Only "No disc inserted" after a minute or so.
I can provide the log file if that helps.
That said, there are a few "'.tar" and "*.tgz"-files in the MakeMKV folder. I can provide information about them as well if that helps.

I hope someone can provide some help or give me a push in the right direction.

Best regards
Daxelinho
Attachments
MakeMKV.png
MakeMKV.png (50.79 KiB) Viewed 19914 times
Daxelinho

Re: No disk inserted and various reading problems

Post by Daxelinho »

Theres progress!

I was just able to open a disk or at least get it to start loading. It was "Inception" in UHD.

But in the process there were only errors mostly this one:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00061.m2ts' at offset '0'
Code 100864261 at "-3g'LSG4y)fI{BUb}:121263084
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at "-3g'LSG4y)fI{BUb}:29395149
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at 6U|+czx4G wB(hAY:213139667
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at j7:y}aL_t[):](~/:213130559

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-ROM ASUS BC-12D2HT 3.11' at offset '1048576'
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at 6U|+czx4G wB(hAY:213139667

I attached the log file and a screenshot of MakeMKV
Attachments
MakeMKV2.png
MakeMKV2.png (64.19 KiB) Viewed 19881 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
(845.95 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Daxelinho wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:49 pm

I use an Asus BW-16D1HT drive and flashed a BC-12D2HT firmware on it
Why that is a worse firmware it has nothing to do with your problem but that's no where near the best firmware.

The only advice I can give is clean the discs and clean the lasers
Other wise the drive is trash like 25% of my desktop lg and asus drives.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

Thanks for your reply!

How do I clean the laser? And for the disc I can use soap and water + a microfiber cloth, right?

For the firmware: There is a firmware in the package for the 16D1HT in the folder (it's called "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014") but it wont't work with the Asus Odd FW Changer.

I select everything, press "Start", it opens the tray and immediately gives the Error Message "Updating Failure #5".

What other software that might be better can I try? I don't want to try random firmware and hope for the best of course.

Best regards
Daxelinho
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Yes, clean the discs the way you mentioned. Try again. Clean again. Try again.

Stay on that firmware!

Buy a CD laser cleaning disc. CD! It has samll brushes that wipe the laser lens. All lasers are co-positioned. CD, DVD, BD. If the lens gets polluted there are still chances that the drive reads CDs. Therefore a CD laser cleaning disc.
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

Thanks, as a matter of fact, I actually had one of those cleaning DVD, the drive even read it properly. But BDs are still not working.
I will repeat the process until it eventually works.
For the case it should work, do I have to go through this cleaning process with every disk I want to rip?

Perhaps my drive is trash, just so that I can think about it, what is the best drive to get right now? I then would buy it from a seller already flashed with the proper firmware and tested.

-Daxelinho
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The BD laser might be dead. Can you see anything in Windows Explorer if you insert the disc? If not most likely the BD laser is dead.
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

So DVDs work, I ripped one without any problems and it worked quick and was displayed in the explorer, as well.

But BD, neither normal BDs nor UHD discs works. It won't show in MakeMKV and in the Explorer it says empty and asks me to insert a disc.

I read about that CDs and DVDs are less vulnerable to laser damage than BDs because of the larger gaps between the lines (probably wrong terminology. :D ).
I think there are at least two seperate lasers for DVD and BD, is this correct?

If I understand it correctly the drive is "trash" at least for Blurays, right?

-Daxelinho
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

There are 3 lasers and BD is the most sensitive. CD, DVD then BD. From most robust to most sensitive. Try the cleaning disc. If it doesn't work your drive is kaputt for BD.
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

I already used it like 10 times at this point. :D I guess it's kaputt then.

I assume there is no chance for a replacement via warranty, right? :D

For a new drive: What is the best to buy right now?

-Daxelinho
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Billy and MartyMcNuts say that the slim drives are more reliable than the 5,25" drives. But these work only for Makemkv. If your drive is supposed to work not only with Makemkv you can follow my guide. But that's just a suggestion:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-f ... dvd.79023/

You need an account to see the pictures.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Just to let you know. I bought 2 LG BH16NS55 2 years ago and flashed both to Asus. One of them died just 2 months ago and I replaced it with another LG BH16NS55. Flashed to Asus. These drives are not lasting long. They are excellent for backing up BD and UHD. They are bad burners for 50 Gb discs. If you want to burn 50 Gb discs get a Pioneer drive in addition.
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:50 pm
Billy and MartyMcNuts say that the slim drives are more reliable than the 5,25" drives. But these work only for Makemkv. If your drive is supposed to work not only with Makemkv you can follow my guide. But that's just a suggestion:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-f ... dvd.79023/

You need an account to see the pictures.

I assume you just mean in context of movies so I will be able to read game disk for example nonetheless, right?

Other than that to be quite honest I don't want to burn anything besides maybe a music CD for my mom's car. :D

If I remember correctly slim drives can be used as an internal drive with a frame in the 5,25" slot or as an USB-drive with the right frame. Which option is preferable? I don't mind the immobility, I just care for the technical facts like reliability or speed.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You are detour in several ways..
Redfox account needed to see my guide with pictures.

If you don't want to burn discs that makes it easier.

As far as I know slim drives can be put in laptop drives or in enclosures attached by USB.
Be warned -slim drives only work with Makemkv!
Daxelinho

Post by Daxelinho »

I don't want to watch movies directly from the disc anyway. I rip the movie to my pc and then watch the mkv.

I want to burn CDs but no blurays.

What model would you recommend? UHD friendly or UHD official? LG BU40N with a 5,25" frame, LG WH16NS60, LG WH14NS40, LG WH16NS40 or any other model? There are so many models and I don't really know where the benefit of each one lays and what drive would fit the best in my case. :D

-Daxelinho