steps to reflash?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jfields

steps to reflash?

Post by jfields »

I'm on a Linux distro with makemkv 1.15.1 installed.

Here's the drive firmware prior to flashing my new external Archgon UHD

Code: Select all

$ makemkvcon f --list
00: dev_21:2, /dev/sr1, /dev/sr1
  HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.01_211712221221_MO6JAJ93453
and after flashing with the wrong FW (DE_LG WH16NS60_1.00.bin) doh!

$ makemkvcon f --list
00: dev_21:2, /dev/sr1, /dev/sr1
  HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__WH16NS60_1.00_211704251756_MO6JAJ93453
Unfortunately now mkv doesn't even recognize any disc once manually inserted (have to use the paper clip technique to even get the drive to open). Altho the drive is recognized, none of the other programs on my distro recognize any inserted disc either.

I've tried reflashing (via command line using the same commands as the original flash) and makemkvcon outputs 'success' but the drive still seems stuck on the FW from my original flash. This is even after rebooting. Ideally I just want to reflash too DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin

Thanks in advance.
Billycar11

Re: steps to reflash?

Post by Billycar11 »

Dos flash is now the only way I have used
Look at the usefull for recovery section of my UHD guide
There maybe another way I will ask about it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Steps:
0. make sure you have the latest SDF.bin
1. select the "right" firmware to flash (like DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin).
2. confirm that this is a "silent flash" failure - try flashing it, sdftool should report "OK", but the FW stays the same
3. Learn the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware - open the FW with hex editor and note the string at offset 0x3000. It should read something "MT19x9 Boot Bla-Bla-Bla". The string is exactly 16 chars in length. Note - it could contain space(s) at the end.
4. ensure that there is no disc in drive, tray closed.
6. flash with following command:

rawflash main,nowait,nocheck,boot="boot_id_from_step_2" -i DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
7. do not try this method blindly for anything else, as you can brick the drive for real with this one.

Also, please note - do not keep the wrongly-flashed drive on for prolonged periods of time. Ideally, only turn it on to reflash. There are real reports of slim drives literally burning when flashed to desktop FW (wrong FW applied max current to laser, burning the plastic and setting the drive on fire).
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm
Steps:
0. make sure you have the latest SDF.bin
2. confirm that this is a "silent flash" failure - try flashing it, sdftool should report "OK", but the FW stays the same
3. Learn the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware - open the FW with hex editor and note the string at offset 0x3000. It should read something "MT19x9 Boot Bla-Bla-Bla". The string is exactly 16 chars in length. Note - it could contain space(s) at the end.
4. ensure that there is no disc in drive, tray closed.
6. flash with following command:

rawflash main,nowait,nocheck,boot="boot_id_from_step_2" -i DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
7. do not try this method blindly for anything else, as you can brick the drive for real with this one.

Also, please note - do not keep the wrongly-flashed drive on for prolonged periods of time. Ideally, only turn it on to reflash. There are real reports of slim drives literally burning when flashed to desktop FW (wrong FW applied max current to laser, burning the plastic and setting the drive on fire).
Awesome Mike!!

Could this also work for old NS40 drives that have been flashed to newer NS50 firmware?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:34 am
Could this also work for old NS40 drives that have been flashed to newer NS50 firmware?
Yes.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:04 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Yes.
Mike,

I have a BH16NS55 (with faulty lasers) that I am using for some flash testing. I have flashed it with BU40N 1.00 firmware. I tried the following command to recover it but I get an error. I copied the string from 0x3000 in hex editor.

Command:

sdftool --all-yes -d N: rawflash main,nowait,nocheck,boot="MT1959 Boot JB8 " -i C:\Users\kelly\Desktop\Remote_Flash_Folder\DE_LG_BH16NS55_1.02.bin

Output:

Reading input file C:\Users\kelly\Desktop\Remote_Flash_Folder\DE_LG_BH16NS55_1.02.bin
Custom boot mark invalid
DEBUG: Code 4279570437 at @\q<.gXW<W7.p( dvLvFxo6VrqDHKd)I:29395701

Command produced error code 0x8f151005

Any ideas???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am
mike admin wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:04 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Yes.
Mike,

I have a BH16NS55 (with faulty lasers) that I am using for some flash testing. I have flashed it with BU40N 1.00 firmware. I tried the following command to recover it but I get an error. I copied the string from 0x3000 in hex editor.

Command:

sdftool --all-yes -d N: rawflash main,nowait,nocheck,boot="MT1959 Boot JB8 " -i C:\Users\kelly\Desktop\Remote_Flash_Folder\DE_LG_BH16NS55_1.02.bin

Output:

Reading input file C:\Users\kelly\Desktop\Remote_Flash_Folder\DE_LG_BH16NS55_1.02.bin
Custom boot mark invalid

Any ideas???
@mike admin

Not sure if you saw this the other day. Any ideas???
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

bump....

@mike admin,

Any ideas about resolving the error in my previous post?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Custom boot mark invalid
Sigh. This is called a bug. I've updated the sdf.bin, also the instructions were somewhat incorrect and incomplete. Updated instructions:

Steps:
0. make sure you have the latest SDF.bin , specifically at least version 0x7B
2. locate the firmware file for the "wrong" firmware - one currently flashed to the drive.
3. confirm that this is a "silent flash" failure - try flashing the correct firmware, sdftool should report "OK", but the FW stays the same
4. Learn the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware - open the FW with hex editor and note the string at offset 0x3000. It should read something "MT19x9 Boot Bla-Bla-Bla". The string is exactly 16 chars in length. Note - it could contain space(s) at the end.
5. Learn the "boot ID" of the "wrong" firmware - the same way as in step 4
6. ensure that there is no disc in drive, tray closed.
7. flash using "right" boot id with following command:

rawflash "main,nowait,nocheck,boot=boot_id_from_step_4" -i DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
Note the quotes around entire "flashing flags" argument, not just around the boot id.

8. If (7) fails, try the "wrong" boot id from step (5)
7. One of the boot Ids is bound to work. Do not try this method blindly for anything else, as you can brick the drive for real with this one.

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Custom boot mark invalid
Sigh. This is called a bug. I've updated the sdf.bin, also the instructions were somewhat incorrect and incomplete. Updated instructions:

Steps:
2. locate the firmware file for the "wrong" firmware - one currently flashed to the drive.
3. confirm that this is a "silent flash" failure - try flashing the correct firmware, sdftool should report "OK", but the FW stays the same
4. Learn the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware - open the FW with hex editor and note the string at offset 0x3000. It should read something "MT19x9 Boot Bla-Bla-Bla". The string is exactly 16 chars in length. Note - it could contain space(s) at the end.

Note the quotes around entire "flashing flags" argument, not just around the boot id.

7. One of the boot Ids is bound to work. Do not try this method blindly for anything else, as you can brick the drive for real with this one.

Ok, the first try with the boot ID from the correct firmware didn't work. It said it successfully completed but didn't actually change the firmware.

The second try using the boot ID from the wrong (current) firmware worked.

Thanks Mike!! You're a legend!!
jfields

Post by jfields »

Had all but given up here a few months ago - on a whim I logged in last night and lo and behold - in all their glory are the
...steps to reflash (and they work!)
Your steps worked! And just completed a successful run. Thank you

I did run into the same issue as Marty did (this thread) where the boot code from the 'right' FW didn't work on reflash so I tried the boot code from the 'wrong' FW (originally and incorrectly used) and that worked. You say its a bug... I'm curious which method is the 'bug'. Using the boot code from an incorrect FW file or a boot code from the correct (and soon to be flashed) FW?

Either way I'm glad I checked the thread. Thanks again Mike! Great work.
boiledsnowman

Post by boiledsnowman »

mike admin wrote:
Steps:

Hello! Sorry for bringing this thread back to life again. Today I made the mistake of flashing the DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin firmware onto a BP50NB40 with a SVC Code of NB40 with the intention of getting UHD reading working, which I now know was a mistake a) because it doesn't work, displaying the same behavior as described in this thread (drive won't open or close, SDFtool Flasher says it successfully flashed the firmware I read off of it originally but the FW doesn't actually change) and b) because I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=24336 Looks like I killed the drive with no possibility of UHD for it at all anyway.

I found this thread and it gave me new hope, and I found the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware (the firmware I dumped off the drive before flashing), however, when I run the command, it doesn't seem to actually flash.... it just sends the image over. is there something in the command I'm doing wrong?

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d "I:" rawflash "main,nowait,nocheck,boot=MT1959 Boot BUP1" -i "FW.bin"

Reading input file FW.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Faking existing boot loader with custom boot mark = "MT1959 Boot BUP3"
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BP60NB10_1.00_211711211720_MDAG75J5333
Ready to write drive flash memory. (auto confirmed)
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive
 100% Operation finished
Done successfully
Like, when I run the rawflash command without the new arguments shown in these instructions, it sends the flash image to the drive and then programs the flash, which takes a lot longer.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d "I:" rawflash -i "FW.bin"

100% Operation finished
Operation started: Programming flash
 100% Operation finished
Done successfully
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated! I really hope I didn't kill this poor drive, although if I did it would be 100% my own fault.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

boiledsnowman wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:52 am
mike admin wrote:
Steps:

Hello! Sorry for bringing this thread back to life again. Today I made the mistake of flashing the DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin firmware onto a BP50NB40 with a SVC Code of NB40 with the intention of getting UHD reading working, which I now know was a mistake a) because it doesn't work, displaying the same behavior as described in this thread (drive won't open or close, SDFtool Flasher says it successfully flashed the firmware I read off of it originally but the FW doesn't actually change) and b) because I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=24336 Looks like I killed the drive with no possibility of UHD for it at all anyway.

I found this thread and it gave me new hope, and I found the "boot ID" of the "right" firmware (the firmware I dumped off the drive before flashing), however, when I run the command, it doesn't seem to actually flash.... it just sends the image over. is there something in the command I'm doing wrong?

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d "I:" rawflash "main,nowait,nocheck,boot=MT1959 Boot BUP1" -i "FW.bin"

Faking existing boot loader with custom boot mark = "MT1959 Boot BUP3"
 100% Operation finished
Done successfully
Like, when I run the rawflash command without the new arguments shown in these instructions, it sends the flash image to the drive and then programs the flash, which takes a lot longer.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> .\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d "I:" rawflash -i "FW.bin"

100% Operation finished
Operation started: Programming flash
 100% Operation finished
Done successfully
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated! I really hope I didn't kill this poor drive, although if I did it would be 100% my own fault.
Try the recovery option of the SDFtool Flasher. I suggest trying to flash the BP50NB40_1.01-MK firmware onto it to start with.
boiledsnowman

Post by boiledsnowman »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:22 am
Try the recovery option of the SDFtool Flasher. I suggest trying to flash the BP50NB40_1.01-MK firmware onto it to start with.
Thanks for the reply!
I've been trying the Recover option with the firmware that I read off the drive, I haven't tried any of the images from the pack because they are all for NB50 as far as I can tell. I did go ahead and try that, and no dice unfortunately. It finished near-instantly and the firmware didn't actually update, just like with the FW image I read off the drive. Is there anything else I can try?

I've even gone so far as trying to use DosFlash, but I've never succeeded in using it because when I try to read or write the firmware it just says "Unknown Flash Chip." So maybe it is really rekt.

I feel like the steps in this thread are my solution, I just need to figure out why the command doesn't seem to actually program the flash, it just sends it over.

EDIT: Through a lot of trial and error, I have successfully flashed BP50NB40_1.01-MK firmware by using the Recover option in SDFtool Flasher! however, the drive still does not function, and I cannot flash the firmware I dumped off of it originally, unfortunately. and DosFlash still gives the "Unknown Flash Chip" error.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

boiledsnowman wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:43 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:22 am
Thanks for the reply!
I've been trying the Recover option with the firmware that I read off the drive, I haven't tried any of the images from the pack because they are all for NB50 as far as I can tell. I did go ahead and try that, and no dice unfortunately. It finished near-instantly and the firmware didn't actually update, just like with the FW image I read off the drive. Is there anything else I can try?

I've even gone so far as trying to use DosFlash, but I've never succeeded in using it because when I try to read or write the firmware it just says "Unknown Flash Chip." So maybe it is really rekt.

I feel like the steps in this thread are my solution, I just need to figure out why the command doesn't seem to actually program the flash, it just sends it over.

EDIT: Through a lot of trial and error, I have successfully flashed BP50NB40_1.01-MK firmware by using the Recover option in SDFtool Flasher! however, the drive still does not function, and I cannot flash the firmware I dumped off of it originally, unfortunately. and DosFlash still gives the "Unknown Flash Chip" error.
I was hoping that if you could get BP50NB40_1.01-MK onto it, you could then try the recover option again, selecting the BP50NB40_1.01-MK as the incorrect file, then select your original firmware bin file in the drop box.