BP60NB10 firmware question on disc playback

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
obscura

BP60NB10 firmware question on disc playback

Post by obscura »

Hi, a quick question:

Does flashing my BP60NB10, a UHD official drive, to an MK firmware make it more UHD friendly, thereby allowing me to playback directly off a disc through DVDFab Player or VLC? I've tried to playback with original firmware and it seems to crash or hang.
MartyMcNuts

Re: BP60NB10 firmware question on disc playback

Post by MartyMcNuts »

obscura wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Hi, a quick question:

Does flashing my BP60NB10, a UHD official drive, to an MK firmware make it more UHD friendly, thereby allowing me to playback directly off a disc through DVDFab Player or VLC? I've tried to playback with original firmware and it seems to crash or hang.
BP60NB10 1.00 MK is the firmware of choice. I believe you should be able to play UHD using DVDFab player. Don't know about VLC.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
obscura

Post by obscura »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 am
BP60NB10 1.00 MK is the firmware of choice. I believe you should be able to play UHD using DVDFab player. Don't know about VLC.
Thanks for the response! The drive I got recently was manufactured back in May 2020 and came with version 1.01 -- am I correct to assume that I'll have to flash it to the 1.01 MK or 1.02 MK firmware first before I can downgrade to 1.00 MK?

I just thought as a UHD official drive I would be able to playback using DVDFab player without any modification, but it seems like all the third party software other than PowerDVD will only work on UHD friendly drives.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

obscura wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:02 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 am
Thanks for the response! The drive I got recently was manufactured back in May 2020 and came with version 1.01 -- am I correct to assume that I'll have to flash it to the 1.01 MK or 1.02 MK firmware first before I can downgrade to 1.00 MK?

I just thought as a UHD official drive I would be able to playback using DVDFab player without any modification, but it seems like all the third party software other than PowerDVD will only work on UHD friendly drives.
Correct. Flash 1.01-MK first, then 1.00-MK.

Yep, anything other than PowerDVD requires flashed firmware.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
obscura

Post by obscura »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Thank you good sir for the clarification. Sorry, just one more newb question, is there a thread somewhere that describes how to backup the original firmware (that is if it is even possible)?

When I get the chance (it might be a few weeks as I don't have time right now), I'll be sure to provide updates on my experiences with flashing the different firmwares and testing of playback so others can use this thread as a reference.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Davidson wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:24 am
I have been in contact with both LG support and MS support about this issue so far they have not been able to solve it.

I try with this forum as the issue seems to connected to the manufacture of the HW/PC.
Microsoft and LG are the last people that are going to help you unofficially playback a UHD disc. What are your PC specs?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

obscura wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:22 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Thank you good sir for the clarification. Sorry, just one more newb question, is there a thread somewhere that describes how to backup the original firmware (that is if it is even possible)?

When I get the chance (it might be a few weeks as I don't have time right now), I'll be sure to provide updates on my experiences with flashing the different firmwares and testing of playback so others can use this thread as a reference.
Not possible to back up the firmware. The best you can do is dump the user data. To do this, grab my SDFtool_flasher from viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896, select your drive, select READ firmware and click START. The user data will be dumped to a folder called "Firmware_Dumps" which will be created in the same directory as the flasher.
obscura

Post by obscura »

Apologies folks for my late update as it took me a lot longer than anticipated to finish my build due to trying to obtain a graphics card. :lol:

I can confirm playback works in VLC with the latest 1.02 firmware.

The only other player I tried was DVDFab Player Ultra, which didn't work as the application will display a prompt saying it is an incompatible drive for playback -- it looks like it's just reading the model of the drive and doesn't bother trying if it's not in its list of compatible drives. I downgraded the firmware to 1.01 and 1.00 to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't.

Has anyone been successful in playback with DVDFab Player or are there any other software players you would recommend to try?