Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Shaka »

My motherboar is an Asus STRIX Z270F GAMING Socket 1151
So it only contains USB 3.1 ports.

Please would you find below what is displayed by MakeMKV :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (55.02 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
Firmware is : DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin
(taken from DE-firmware-pack/Slim drives)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:09 pm
My motherboar is an Asus STRIX Z270F GAMING Socket 1151
So it only contains USB 3.1 ports.

Please would you find below what is displayed by MakeMKV :

Capture.JPG

Firmware is : DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin
(taken from DE-firmware-pack/Slim drives)
I don't see any reason why that should not work. It appears to be flashed correctly and you're using 2 USB 3.1 ports. If it won't even initialize any disc at all, it's probably faulty.

Sorry I can't help you further.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

No problem, thank you for your help :)

Is it possible to reinstall original firmware that had beed dumped by SDFTool in Firmware_Dumps folder ?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:55 pm
No problem, thank you for your help :)

Is it possible to reinstall original firmware that had beed dumped by SDFTool in Firmware_Dumps folder ?
I'm not sure what it originally came with but for example, if it came with BU13, the easiest way is to flash the drive with BU12-MK then get the latest BU13 direct from Buffalo website.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

Oh we cannot reinstall the dumped firmware directly ?
It was just in case I would need to return the drive back to the seller.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:58 am
Oh we cannot reinstall the dumped firmware directly ?
It was just in case I would need to return the drive back to the seller.
No, as I said previously, the 70kb tar dump only contains the important bits of the firmware, not the complete firmware.
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

Ok, so what is the goal of this dump ?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 am
Nothing really. It's just a backup of the important drive data.

Technically, if you had a clean firmware file, you could copy the bytes of each file into the clean firmware file to create your own drive specific firmware but it's much easier to do it the way I already suggested.

If it came with BU13, simply flash the drive with BU12-MK, then download the original BU13 firmware from Buffalo and update the drive.
crapulas

Post by crapulas »

Hi all,

Thanks for this tool. However I'm facing an issue while trying to flash my drive.

I have bought an Archgon Slim UHD drive (MD-8107-U3).

I can't get the drive being flashed and always get the same error as you can see in the attachment.

I post the drive info and the error. You can see the options I have used and the firmware.

Same error whatever the status of encrypted box is.

I tried from the tool with a GUI on Windows and from a Mac using command line, same behavior, it fails.

Thanks in advance for your help
Attachments
error flash.png
error flash.png (63.12 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
drive info.png
drive info.png (46.07 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

crapulas wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:59 am
Hi all,

Thanks for this tool. However I'm facing an issue while trying to flash my drive.

I have bought an Archgon Slim UHD drive (MD-8107-U3).

I can't get the drive being flashed and always get the same error as you can see in the attachment.

I post the drive info and the error. You can see the options I have used and the firmware.

Same error whatever the status of encrypted box is.

I tried from the tool with a GUI on Windows and from a Mac using command line, same behavior, it fails.

Thanks in advance for your help
Never seen that error code before. Make sure there's no disc in the drive and the tray is closed. Also make sure that all USB Plugs are connected so that the drive is getting enough power.
crapulas

Post by crapulas »

Hi,

I tried it being connected to USB-C port on my laptop and with both USB A connectors (2). I get the same error. It seems the firmware is sent to the device but it stops with this error.

I get the same using command-line on MacOS.

Tray is closed and no-disc in the drive.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I've seen similar issues and it seems it's the fault of the USB->SATA chip of the enclosure. The Makemkv GUI version has some fixes for those but not the command line version which is invoked by SDFToolFlasher. So pretty much the only chance is to remove the drive from the enclosure and use a) a good USB->SATA adapter or even better b) connect it directly to SATA of a PC.

Try this using a command window and go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV

Then enter there (replace G: with the letter of your optical drive):

makemkvcon64.exe f -d G: --info

Post the result here.
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:51 pm
Shaka wrote:

Technically, if you had a clean firmware file, you could copy the bytes of each file into the clean firmware file to create your own drive specific firmware but it's much easier to do it the way I already suggested.

If it came with BU13, simply flash the drive with BU12-MK, then download the original BU13 firmware from Buffalo and update the drive.
Just for my culture: why should I install the previous MK version (BU12-MK) before installing last Buffalo firmware ? And why MK and not DE ?
Indeed, I thought I could flash any version, from any one...
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:47 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:51 pm
Shaka wrote:

Just for my culture: why should I install the previous MK version (BU12-MK) before installing last Buffalo firmware ? And why MK and not DE ?
Indeed, I thought I could flash any version, from any one...
No you can't just flash any version from any other one.

If you don't have a firmware version prior to the current one flashed, you will not be able to update to the current one using the original Buffalo flasher.

If you don't want to follow the advice given, then fine, do whatever you want. Just don't come back here crying when you can't figure it out.
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

Thank you for your response.

But be cool please. Nobody has told your advice wouldn't be followed. Asking questions to understand how things are working is not crying.