SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MeyroNW

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MeyroNW »

I have double-checked the Makemkv version, it is the latest (1.17.2). But I still get the same error message from AnyDVD HD (this is also the latest version 8.6.3.0). No idea, what to do. Any help is highly appreciated!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Since SDFTool and AnyDVD are failing there is something fishy going on. Do you have Makemkv installed in the default file location?
MeyroNW

Post by MeyroNW »

Yes, I have not adjusted any of the pre-set file locations during the installation process: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkv.exe"
Same is true for AndDVD "C:\Program Files (x86)\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVDtray.exe"

There are no problems with DVDs or BDs, only with UHDs...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MeyroNW wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:11 pm
Yes, I have not adjusted any of the pre-set file locations during the installation process: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkv.exe"
Same is true for AndDVD "C:\Program Files (x86)\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVDtray.exe"

There are no problems with DVDs or BDs, only with UHDs...
Have you tried opening a UHD in makemkv to download the sdf?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MeyroNW

Post by MeyroNW »

Opening in makemkv is working without problem, both for extracting an .mkv file and for "backing up" the full content of the UHD. Works both, under Windows and OSX.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I suggest to post a log file over in the Redfox forum.
MeyroNW

Post by MeyroNW »

Yes, that's probably the right forum - this discussion landed somehow "by accident" in the SDFtool Flasher forum. But anyway - thanks for all sugestions here!
MeyroNW

Post by MeyroNW »

Unfortunately, the Redfox forum could not help. The suggestion was (again) to try and flash my drive. This, however, is not possible (see screenshot).
Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-20 um 14.28.03.png
Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-20 um 14.28.03.png (51.4 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
And, as stated before, MakeMKV states that LibreDrive is enabled. Any idea what I could try to do?
Forgot to mention: the error message cannot be correct since MakeMKV (see earlier screenshot) states that the platform is MT 1959.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You should do what Billycar11 suggested above and load an UHD. Make sure that internet access is allowed. I guess the newest SDF.bin is missing. It will be downloaded when you insert an UHD. Then try again.

BTW- You most likely don't have to flash your drive. But just run SDFToolFlasher if it behaves now OK. Then try if AnyDVD works now also.
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

Hi everyone,

I have a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK on witch I have updated the firmware with SDFTool 1.3.5 to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin.

When I open MakeMKV and I insert a BR, I have:
MakeMkv.JPG
MakeMkv.JPG (55.95 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
=> The drive does not run the BR (seems that the disk is not turning inside) and MakeMkv tells that no disk is inserted.

For information, I have tryied also with these MK firmwares and the result is the same:
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BN12-0M01001-211905141415 (I suppose my Buffalo is a Japan version as it's written in this language on the box)
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin (it's the old version of 1.04)

I have also tried with a the DE version: DE_Buffalo_BRUHD-PU3_BU10.bin
This one seems to have worked 1 time, but seems it does not work anymore.

Thank you in advance for your help.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:40 pm
Hi everyone,

I have a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK on witch I have updated the firmware with SDFTool 1.3.5 to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin.

When I open MakeMKV and I insert a BR, I have:
MakeMkv.JPG

=> The drive does not run the BR (seems that the disk is not turning inside) and MakeMkv tells that no disk is inserted.

For information, I have tryied also with these MK firmwares and the result is the same:
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BN12-0M01001-211905141415 (I suppose my Buffalo is a Japan version as it's written in this language on the box)
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin (it's the old version of 1.04)

I have also tried with a the DE version: DE_Buffalo_BRUHD-PU3_BU10.bin
This one seems to have worked 1 time, but seems it does not work anymore.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Might be silly but do you have both USB Plugs connected to your PC?

Did you power cycle the drive after flashing?

Also, don't open MakeMKV until after the disc has been initialised by the OS.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

I have tried with 1, and 2 USB plugs connected and the result is the same. just for information, 1 USB seems to be suffiscient as the led light is green (not red).

What do you mean by "Did you power cycle the drive after flashing" ? I have unplugged it and repluggued it, and I have tried several USB ports.

The problem is that the drive is initialized by the OS, but not the disc. I have tried inserting a simple audio CD also. I don't know if it could help, but I have tried to run DVDFab also and it indicates that the drive is not compatible with backup because of the firmware. I didn't have this message with the DE firmware, but DVDFab could read my BR just 1 time, and now it's not working anymore :/. And unfortunatly, it's not better with MakeMKV.

In a perfect world, I'm interested in having my driver working with both MakeMKV and DvdFab. Is HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin the good firmware ? Hope I don't have broken my drive flashing it. Is there a tool to diagnose issues ?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:31 am
I have tried with 1, and 2 USB plugs connected and the result is the same. just for information, 1 USB seems to be suffiscient as the led light is green (not red).

What do you mean by "Did you power cycle the drive after flashing" ? I have unplugged it and repluggued it, and I have tried several USB ports.

The problem is that the drive is initialized by the OS, but not the disc. I have tried inserting a simple audio CD also. I don't know if it could help, but I have tried to run DVDFab also and it indicates that the drive is not compatible with backup because of the firmware. I didn't have this message with the DE firmware, but DVDFab could read my BR just 1 time, and now it's not working anymore :/. And unfortunatly, it's not better with MakeMKV.

In a perfect world, I'm interested in having my driver working with both MakeMKV and DvdFab. Is HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin the good firmware ? Hope I don't have broken my drive flashing it. Is there a tool to diagnose issues ?
No, for compatibility with both programs, you should use DE BU40N 1.00. Buffalo BU10 may also be compatible.

Both USB Plugs must be used as 1 generally provides data and the other ensures the drive receives enough power. Usually a disc won't be able to be read or will cut out during reading if the drive isn't getting enough power. If using a laptop you may need a powered hub as sometimes the laptops USB ports don't put out enough power.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

I have installed DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin (slim drive) firmaware, crossing fingers it would work with my Buffalo (as it's named *LG*). Unfortunately, disk is not turning in the drive..
For information I have connected both USB plugs (my PC is not a laptop, so I suppose all USB ports can provide enough power).

It's really strange because I have no error, and my drive is visible in the DeviceManager. If you have ideas about how I can check if the drive has a problem or not, it would be great.

Another point: I used SDFTool with the "READ" option to backup the firmware before to flash it. So I have a folder "Firmware_Dumps" with 6 .bin files in a .tar file. Do you know how I can restore it ? I have tries one by one with SDFTool but seems it's not the good way.

Thank you in advance
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shaka wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:50 pm
I have installed DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin (slim drive) firmaware, crossing fingers it would work with my Buffalo (as it's named *LG*). Unfortunately, disk is not turning in the drive..
For information I have connected both USB plugs (my PC is not a laptop, so I suppose all USB ports can provide enough power).

It's really strange because I have no error, and my drive is visible in the DeviceManager. If you have ideas about how I can check if the drive has a problem or not, it would be great.

Another point: I used SDFTool with the "READ" option to backup the firmware before to flash it. So I have a folder "Firmware_Dumps" with 6 .bin files in a .tar file. Do you know how I can restore it ? I have tries one by one with SDFTool but seems it's not the good way.

Thank you in advance
The tar file only contains the important bits of the firmware, not the complete firmware.

It still sounds like the drive isn't getting enough power. Make sure you are using USB 3.0 ports (not USB 2.0).

Please show us what MakeMKV says on the right hand side.