SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Coopervid

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Coopervid »

Very nice!! :D

Marty,

Can you elaborate please? So no misflashs of MT1939 based drives possible anymore?
How is encrypted firmware detected? Just by drive model and firmware version? But then if an already flashed drive gets flashed again?

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:36 am
Very nice!! :D

Marty,

Can you elaborate please? So no misflashs of MT1939 based drives possible anymore?
How is encrypted firmware detected? Just by drive model and firmware version? But then if an already flashed drive gets flashed again?

Thanks!
1. If MakeMKV does not detect the drive platform as MT1959, the S T A R T button will not do anything.
2. Yes, the SDFtool Flasher obtains the selected drive model & firmware version then checks an internal list. If found in encrypted list, then "enc" is automatically applied.

EDIT:
While typing the above, I thought of a slight hiccup. Thanks Coop! I have made a minor adjustment to the code, so now the latest version is v1.2.2. Please re-download. So now, when SDFtool Flasher checks for encrypted firmware, it uses the following 3 checks:

1. drive model
2. drive firmware version
3. firmware type (original or MK)

This way, SDFtool Flasher won't mistake a MK version as encrypted. EG: BH16NS55 1.05 MK will be detected as "not encrypted". BH16NS55 1.05 original will be detected as "encrypted".
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

I have made a minor code adjustment so that the encrypted firmware checks are more accurate.

The latest version is v1.2.2. The download link in the first post of this thread has been updated. Those that downloaded v1.2.1 yesterday, please download the latest version.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea that's definitely a good update to make. LOL I assume you'll release a new version come November for what should be obvious reasons to us? ;) :D
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:58 am
Yea that's definitely a good update to make. LOL I assume you'll release a new version come November for what should be obvious reasons to us? ;) :D
Uuummmm..... What's happening in November?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:55 am
SamuriHL wrote:
i feel the same i thought only i was confused
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Thanks Marty!

Now I will update my flashing guide over in the other forum within the next couple of days.

The oracle - SamuriHL - must know something we don‘t know. I would also be fine with a Christmas present provided by Marty. :lol:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
And you two call yourselves developers. :P Right now you changed this to use .NET 6 Core and that's all well and good, but, it's only currently out in RC. Official release isn't until November. :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

One more question Marty,

can your updated tool read encrypted firmware (I don't have a drive with encypted firmware anymore). And if yes, will it decrypt it or is reading an encrypted firmware impossible or useless?

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Coopervid wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:41 pm
One more question Marty,

can your updated tool read encrypted firmware (I don't have a drive with encypted firmware anymore). And if yes, will it decrypt it or is reading an encrypted firmware impossible or useless?

Thanks!
Ever since MakeMKV could remove encrypted firmware, it has been able to read it. A 70kb dump file is created. If you look at the files produced in hex editor you can see the decrypted information.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:10 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:

And you two call yourselves developers. :P Right now you changed this to use .NET 6 Core and that's all well and good, but, it's only currently out in RC. Official release isn't until November. :D
Which doesn't really matter too much, so long as it continues to work. What I'm really waiting for is .net MAUI, but will no longer be coming in November. It has been delayed to early 2022. :(
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm
Which doesn't really matter too much, so long as it continues to work. What I'm really waiting for is .net MAUI, but will no longer be coming in November. It has been delayed to early 2022. :(
I know, I'm mostly giving you a hard time. :) However, keeping people on an RC1 runtime COULD potentially pose problems in theory. Rebuilding it shouldn't take a lot. But as you said, as long as it works and doesn't cause issues it should be fine.
amk1247

Post by amk1247 »

Just wanted to a throw a big thanks out for this tool. Recently had to replace my archgon BU40N external after the previous one bit the dust. This was painless and idiot proof, flashed and running again in 5 minutes. Last time I had to do the CLI version which wasn't difficult, but as usual with CLI tools I feel the need to double and triple check I'm doing the right things before hitting enter.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

amk1247 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 am
Just wanted to a throw a big thanks out for this tool. Recently had to replace my archgon BU40N external after the previous one bit the dust. This was painless and idiot proof, flashed and running again in 5 minutes. Last time I had to do the CLI version which wasn't difficult, but as usual with CLI tools I feel the need to double and triple check I'm doing the right things before hitting enter.
:D
HEONTHETOILET

Post by HEONTHETOILET »

Created an account to post in this thread specifically -

First of all, fantastic tool. Kudos to you.

I ordered an LG BU40N internal slim drive from Newegg and it arrived today. Used MakeMKV to do some rips of Blu Rays & DVDs to my NAS and so far so good (Plex Media Server).

Figured it was time to try UHDs, but I obviously need to flash the drive.

Downloaded the tool, downloaded the "All you need" firmware pack. Since I just purchased this I assumed it would come pre-loaded with the encrypted firmware, and sure enough it did.

Attempted to load up the BU40N 1.03 firmware, and got a pop-up with the following error:

Command produced error code 0x8f1e7101

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if anyone else winds up reading this and has the same issue, what I wound up doing was cross-flashing to the LG Slim BP60NB10 firmware, then hitting the Recovery option and selected the proper BU40N firmware and then it flashed successfully. No error codes, no sleep bug, currently ripping Ex Machina on UHD.