SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Coopervid

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Coopervid »

Native Windows? Any chance to connect it to another computer?
Timberflake1983

Post by Timberflake1983 »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm
Native Windows? Any chance to connect it to another computer?
What's native Windows? No, it's the only computer in the house.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Plain Windows. You can run also Windows in virtual machines on Linux and macOS.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Most likely you are not the most technical savvy person. I suggest to take the drive out of the USB enclosure and connect it directly to the SATA port in your PC and try the flash. Maybe you have some friend who could assist you doing that.
Timberflake1983

Post by Timberflake1983 »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:15 pm
Most likely you are not the most technical savvy person. I suggest to take the drive out of the USB enclosure and connect it directly to the SATA port in your PC and try the flash. Maybe you have some friend who could assist you doing that.
No its fine thanks, I built my PC, I've just never heard of Windows referred to as 'Native'. And yes, its Windows 10
brucehvn

Post by brucehvn »

Okay, I've read the whole thread here and have a couple of questions.

I have an older (2013) LG WH14NS40 that got flashed with NS50 firmware. I want to try to recover it using SDFTool. In the first post, the firmware it says to use for recovering old LG drives is DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.01.bin.zip. Am I okay to flash that firmware to a WH14 drive? If so, would that then be an interim step to then follow by flashing the proper WH14NS40 NS40 v1.01 which is what the drive came with originally? Or would that WH16 firmware just work as-is and I shouldn't need to bother with it.

I have the latest MakeMKV on Linux installed. Would the command line SDFTool that comes with that be able to do this recovery? If so, what would the command lines be? The drive is currently flashed with a 1.02 non-encrypted firmware. I assume there's one command line to backup the current firmware, then another to do the recovery.

If the Linux version can't do it, I have no problem getting into Windows and doing it that way if necessary. I just hate Windows :)
xxWheixx

Post by xxWheixx »

Hi, I bought a used WH16NS40 and stupidly updated the firmware to 1.05 and now wont recognize any dvd i put in it, its a 2014 model. I tried recovering the drive but I am at a loss for how to select the current "wrong" firmware when you select recover.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I still say that the UHD flashing thread is much too optimistic regarding flashing and the process is having too less warnings. Have a look at my guide here that goes step by step telling if it's safe flashing your drive:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-f ... dvd.79023/
brucehvn

Post by brucehvn »

xxWheixx wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm
Hi, I bought a used WH16NS40 and stupidly updated the firmware to 1.05 and now wont recognize any dvd i put in it, its a 2014 model. I tried recovering the drive but I am at a loss for how to select the current "wrong" firmware when you select recover.
If you are trying the SDFTool as described in this thread, you need to first do a READ to dump the current firmware. Then when you try and RECOVER, the firmware dump you made would be the bad firmware. At least that's how I believe it should be done. I have not attempted it yet with my 2013 WH14NS40.
xxWheixx

Post by xxWheixx »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:21 pm
I still say that the UHD flashing thread is much too optimistic regarding flashing and the process is having too less warnings. Have a look at my guide here that goes step by step telling if it's safe flashing your drive:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-f ... dvd.79023/
were you replying to me? my drive does not apply since it was a 2014 model, i already upgraded the firmware and was wondeing how i could recover it, and where i can select my current wrong firmware when you select "recover"
xxWheixx

Post by xxWheixx »

brucehvn wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm
xxWheixx wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm
If you are trying the SDFTool as described in this thread, you need to first do a READ to dump the current firmware. Then when you try and RECOVER, the firmware dump you made would be the bad firmware. At least that's how I believe it should be done. I have not attempted it yet with my 2013 WH14NS40.
The current firmware when i dump it is a tar file not a bin and can not select it
brucehvn

Post by brucehvn »

xxWheixx wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:20 am

The current firmware when i dump it is a tar file not a bin and can not select it
Can you un-tar the tar file? Or are you on Windows? I'm guessing the .bin file is inside. If you are on Windows, you can use 7zip to unpack the tar file.
xxWheixx

Post by xxWheixx »

The tar files got about 6 bin files in it with one being larger than the others and would not work when i recovered the drive
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

xxWheixx wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 pm
The tar files got about 6 bin files in it with one being larger than the others and would not work when i recovered the drive
The tar file does not contain the complete fw from your drive. It only contains the important fragments, making it possible to create a complete fw file by using another fw file and replacing those important sections.

The tar file cannot be used for recovery.

Did you even read the instructions?? Please don't listen to brucehvn. I know he is trying to help you but he has no idea what he is talking about.

Regarding your issue,

When you say you updated the drive to 1.05, did you mean the official 1.05 via LG's website? or the MakeMKV 1.05-MK firmware?

If you updated via the official LG 1.05 flashing tool, you must flash the drive to a MK firmware (I recommend WH16NS60 1.02-MK) then flash to a DE firmware (I recommend DE WH16NS60 1.00), then use the old DOSFLASH method to recover your drive.

Read here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p104021
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
xxWheixx

Post by xxWheixx »

i did it via lgs website, annd when you mean write firmware to the drive with the sdf tool? i tried that and nothing changed using the old de files 1.02.