SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
cloudyapple

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by cloudyapple »

The VLC Integration worked like a charm!
Now it plays with no problem!
boiledsnowman

Post by boiledsnowman »

Hello! I acquired a BP50NB40 that's been sitting in someone's closet for a while, and long story short, I didn't realize it was an older revision. It has the SVC code NB40, not NB50. So despite the fact that it was on 1.00 firmware (which I did dump before doing anything, and I have that file still), after flashing

Code: Select all

DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin
, it no longer functions. (I was wanting to get UHD support). When I press the eject button, the LED flashes a bunch but then nothing happens. Tried unplugging/replugging, same deal, it looks like I have a dead drive. I tried using the RECOVER option to go back to the file I dumped, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It "finishes" instantly and the behavior of the drive stays the same.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks!
domus31

Post by domus31 »

Hello all,

I am part of the idiots who "upgraded" his BH16NS40 version 1.03 to 1.05 SVC code NS50, and since then my drive is no more responding (can only be used as a retractable beer glass support ...).
So I found with high interest this thread hoping to resuscitate my drive !

My environment : Win 10 64 bits, MakeMKV 1.16.5, SDFtool Flasher 1.2.3

I can run SDF tool with no issue to Read the current firmware in my drive (which appears under the label H: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS40_1.05_212005061331_SIK98D81A201). This is creating the Firmware_Dumps folder and and a zip file with 6 .bin files :
fd_fwdate.bin
fd_sn.bin
inq.bin
rom_1EC000.bin
rom_1F0000.bin
rom_003000.bin

I got from another thread the HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.03-A0_NOBJ.bin file which is, if I understood correctly, the one corresponding to the target FW I wan to reinstall (BH16NS40_1.03-A0(ew)) : download/file.php?id=2116&sid=ce613216f ... 640d2a0b4e

The problem I face in the RECOVER Drive process, is that I need to provide the currently installed wrong firmware under a ".bin" file, but I only have the LG .exe file (BH16NS40_SVC code NS50(1.05).exe). How can I retrieve this .bin from the .exe ? Or is the expected .bin one of the 6 .bin files that I have read from the current drive (see above), but in this case which one to use ? I prefer avoiding trying one by one to kill definitively my drive ... I have been stupid enough on that subject.

So, I should be not far from the Gloria moment, but still missing this "currently installed wrong firmware" bin file ...
If a charitable soul can help me on that subject ?

Thanks a lot !

Bruno
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

domus31 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am
Hello all,

I am part of the idiots who "upgraded" his BH16NS40 version 1.03 to 1.05 SVC code NS50, and since then my drive is no more responding (can only be used as a retractable beer glass support ...).
So I found with high interest this thread hoping to resuscitate my drive !

My environment : Win 10 64 bits, MakeMKV 1.16.5, SDFtool Flasher 1.2.3

I can run SDF tool with no issue to Read the current firmware in my drive (which appears under the label H: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS40_1.05_212005061331_SIK98D81A201). This is creating the Firmware_Dumps folder and and a zip file with 6 .bin files :
fd_fwdate.bin
fd_sn.bin
inq.bin
rom_1EC000.bin
rom_1F0000.bin
rom_003000.bin

I got from another thread the HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.03-A0_NOBJ.bin file which is, if I understood correctly, the one corresponding to the target FW I wan to reinstall (BH16NS40_1.03-A0(ew)) : download/file.php?id=2116&sid=ce613216f ... 640d2a0b4e

The problem I face in the RECOVER Drive process, is that I need to provide the currently installed wrong firmware under a ".bin" file, but I only have the LG .exe file (BH16NS40_SVC code NS50(1.05).exe). How can I retrieve this .bin from the .exe ? Or is the expected .bin one of the 6 .bin files that I have read from the current drive (see above), but in this case which one to use ? I prefer avoiding trying one by one to kill definitively my drive ... I have been stupid enough on that subject.

So, I should be not far from the Gloria moment, but still missing this "currently installed wrong firmware" bin file ...
If a charitable soul can help me on that subject ?

Thanks a lot !

Bruno
You will need to flash your drive to WH16NS60 1.02-MK firmware, then flash again to WH16NS60 1.00 firmware, then use the old dosflash method to recover the drive.

There are countless posts about this issue.The search function is your friend.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
epipremnum

Post by epipremnum »

SteelBookCollector wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Got a brand new WH16NS40 with 1.05 Firmware.

SDFTool v1.2.0, trying to flash to WH16NS60 v1.02 from the old folder, check the enc box.

Getting error code 0x8f056103

On Windows 10 X64. dotNet newer then 4.7.2

What am I doing wrong?
I got the same error with SDFTool 1.2.3 and didn't know how to proceed.
Since the SDFTool is just a wrapper for the commandline utility, i dared to execute the command in the PowerShell like in 'ye olden days'.

Turns out I get the same error, but with a better description:
commandline
commandline
Screenshot 2021-11-30 171601.png (30.98 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
You need to remove any disc in the drive before flashing firmware!
alow1shus

Post by alow1shus »

boiledsnowman wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Hello! I acquired a BP50NB40 that's been sitting in someone's closet for a while, and long story short, I didn't realize it was an older revision. It has the SVC code NB40, not NB50. So despite the fact that it was on 1.00 firmware (which I did dump before doing anything, and I have that file still), after flashing

DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin
, it no longer functions. (I was wanting to get UHD support). When I press the eject button, the LED flashes a bunch but then nothing happens. Tried unplugging/replugging, same deal, it looks like I have a dead drive. I tried using the RECOVER option to go back to the file I dumped, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It "finishes" instantly and the behavior of the drive stays the same.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks!
nearly same here:
tried to flash an BP55EB40 SVC: EB40 1.00 from November 2016
as there is no EB40 firmware, i tried the NB50 1.03 like i read in another thread:
PeterRatgen wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:09 am
One last update. I flashed the BP60NB10 1.00 Hybrid firmware to my BP55EB40 SVC: EB40 running the LG BP50NB40-NB50 1.02-MK. This made the drive UHD Friendly! I couldn't be more happy! All the firmware and the ASUS flasher used i found at: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933.
it seems to have worked out (100% finished), allthough i got the error 0x8f062900 (only at this very first attempt)
fehler.PNG
fehler.PNG (121.21 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
But now i have similar problems:
eject button on drive, softeject from windows or makemkv only produces led flashing and animation in makemkv but the drive doesn't open
opened with a pin manually it will not recognise or play any dvd,bd or uhd
i tried different other 20200720-firmwares, "old" ones and recoveries but nothing solved the problem so far (allways flashing without any errors/problems)
current version:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: MZEGBTF4641
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
need help (or advise for a new drive)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

epipremnum wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:16 pm

SDFTool v1.2.0, trying to flash to WH16NS60 v1.02 from the old folder, check the enc box.

What am I doing wrong?
Since the SDFTool is just a wrapper for the commandline utility, i dared to execute the command in the PowerShell like in 'ye olden days'.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 171601.png

Yes, it helps if you read the instructions! This is clearly mentioned in the first post.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
epipremnum

Post by epipremnum »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:09 am
epipremnum wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:16 pm

What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2021-11-30 171601.png

Yes, it helps if you read the instructions! This is clearly mentioned in the first post.
Oh gosh it really does..
I must have skipped it twice!

I feel dumb now, but maybe it helps anyone still..
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SDFtool Flasher has been updated to v1.2.4 as I have added Buffalo BU13 to the encrypted firmware list.
freespace

Post by freespace »

New user, first post - I recently bought a UHD blu ray disc so I can watch it on my external Blu-ray drive and this where the rabbit hole started. The UHD disc was not recognised.
The device is Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB-US which supposedly can read and write BDXL discs. I tried to read as much information on the forum as possible and found other people with similar drives have success to make it possible to read UHD discs but this hasn't been the case for me.
Looking at Make MKV this is what I see:
MakeMKV.PNG
MakeMKV.PNG (42.58 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
No mention of Libre and the Revision: 1.00 seems odd (as in - I didn't find posts on the forum with the same revision :))
Further more opening SDFTool Flasher I am greeting with the bad news that the device is not on the MT1959 platform:
sdftool.PNG
sdftool.PNG (10.36 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
And this where my brain is getting contradictory thoughts - how can it be that the drive is listed as supporting BDXL (triple and quad layer) and not be able to read UHD movie discs?
Here's a photo of the label on the back of the drive:

Would you say that I have a chance of making this drive being able to read and play UHD discs or is this just a wishful thinking on my side?

P.S. apologies if I messed up the correct place to ask this question - feel free to point/push/throw me in the proper area.
Attachments
20211218_234746.jpg
20211218_234746.jpg (268.32 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

freespace wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:59 am
New user, first post - I recently bought a UHD blu ray disc so I can watch it on my external Blu-ray drive and this where the rabbit hole started. The UHD disc was not recognised.
The device is Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB-US which supposedly can read and write BDXL discs. I tried to read as much information on the forum as possible and found other people with similar drives have success to make it possible to read UHD discs but this hasn't been the case for me.

MakeMKV.PNG

No mention of Libre and the Revision: 1.00 seems odd (as in - I didn't find posts on the forum with the same revision :))
Further more opening SDFTool Flasher I am greeting with the bad news that the device is not on the MT1959 platform:

sdftool.PNG

And this where my brain is getting contradictory thoughts - how can it be that the drive is listed as supporting BDXL (triple and quad layer) and not be able to read UHD movie discs?

Would you say that I have a chance of making this drive being able to read and play UHD discs or is this just a wishful thinking on my side?

P.S. apologies if I messed up the correct place to ask this question - feel free to point/push/throw me in the proper area.
BDXL capability does not automatically mean UHD readability. There are a lot of other drives that can read/write BDXL that can't read UHD.

A couple of questions for you...

1. How old is your drive?
2. Are you able to open it up and see what the actual drive model is?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

freespace wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:59 am

sadly there are 2 versions of that drive and this is why i left it out of the guide the eu version is not a BU40N and cant do UHD only the US version can another case of same model number different drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
freespace

Post by freespace »

@MartyMcNuts - here's a photo of the drive inside the enclosure. According to the label it is manufactured March 2016. Does the photo gives you more insight? I don't see a reference to LG nowhere - only to Panasonic.

@Billycar11 - according the photo of the external enclosure this is a US drive (which makes sense since I bought it on the other side of the pond - in Canada).
20211219_182103.jpg
20211219_182103.jpg (479.19 KiB) Viewed 7964 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

freespace wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:35 pm
@MartyMcNuts - here's a photo of the drive inside the enclosure. According to the label it is manufactured March 2016. Does the photo gives you more insight? I don't see a reference to LG nowhere - only to Panasonic.

@Billycar11 - according the photo of the external enclosure this is a US drive (which makes sense since I bought it on the other side of the pond - in Canada).

20211219_182103.jpg
Yeah, out of luck with this drive. It's a Panasonic.
freespace

Post by freespace »

Thanks, at least I have a confirmation and could direct my energy someplace else.
So looking for a new drive - is it still the case that all drives that officially support playback of UHD can't be used to RIP them? No-exceptions that anyone is aware of?