SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

cobhc2022 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 pm
Hi all, I have an LG BP55EB40 on the way which I'm looking to crossflash to enable UHD ripping.

From what I understand I need to flash the MK firmware that matches the one that comes with the drive to enable downgrading and then the recommendation is to flash to BP60NB10 MK 1.00, correct?
Correct.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
cobhc2022

Post by cobhc2022 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:12 am
cobhc2022 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 pm
Hi all, I have an LG BP55EB40 on the way which I'm looking to crossflash to enable UHD ripping.

From what I understand I need to flash the MK firmware that matches the one that comes with the drive to enable downgrading and then the recommendation is to flash to BP60NB10 MK 1.00, correct?
Great, thanks for confirming!

Correct.
ElOsoTito

Post by ElOsoTito »

Hey Marty!

I just wanted to clarify and make sure of a couple things before I flashed my new BP60NB10. I have the correct mk firmware ready to go however I was reading on the forum that this would still not allow the newest AACS encryption. Is that what the DE firmware is? Or is there simply not a way to get into that encryption yet? I'm sorry if these questions are dumb, as I am learning as I go. The pioneer drive I had was giving me so many hash errors so I am hoping to have better luck with this one.

SO with the SDF flasher tool I can flash the write firmware to 1.02MK. Is there an option for read?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions and Thank you so much!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ElOsoTito wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 pm
Hey Marty!

I just wanted to clarify and make sure of a couple things before I flashed my new BP60NB10. I have the correct mk firmware ready to go however I was reading on the forum that this would still not allow the newest AACS encryption. Is that what the DE firmware is? Or is there simply not a way to get into that encryption yet? I'm sorry if these questions are dumb, as I am learning as I go. The pioneer drive I had was giving me so many hash errors so I am hoping to have better luck with this one.

SO with the SDF flasher tool I can flash the write firmware to 1.02MK. Is there an option for read?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions and Thank you so much!
Libredrive and MK (or DE) firmware have nothing to do with AACS encryption. Totally separate things.

Having libredrive enabled wil stop your drive's host certificate from being revoked when there is an AACS version that is newer than the device/processing keys MakeMKV uses.

With a newer AACS version, you would still have to wait for MakeMKV to be updated to be able to decrypt discs using that newer AACS version, same as always. Nothing has changed with regards to the AACS decryption process.

SDFtool flasher always has the READ option available, although with newer drives, you will only get a 70kb tar file that contains the important bits of the firmware. If you want to save this info, perform READ first, then WRITE the BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ElOsoTito

Post by ElOsoTito »

Wow that is the best anybody has ever explained it to me. Thank you so much!

So just to be 100% sure because I am a stickler for details.

When you say "perform READ first" do you mean flash the drive with "READ firmware" selected first then "WRITE firmware".

However am I flashing BOTH read and write with 1.02MK??

Thank you Marty for the quick response and your patience with us beginners.

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ElOsoTito wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:26 am
Wow that is the best anybody has ever explained it to me. Thank you so much!

So just to be 100% sure because I am a stickler for details.

When you say "perform READ first" do you mean flash the drive with "READ firmware" selected first then "WRITE firmware".

However am I flashing BOTH read and write with 1.02MK??

Thank you Marty for the quick response and your patience with us beginners.

Thanks!
READ = extract a copy of the current firmware on the drive to a file on your PC. In your case, only the important parts of the current firmware will be extracted to a 70kb TAR file for safe keeping.

WRITE = write a new firmware file to the drive, overwriting the existing firmware.

As I said before, if you want to keep a copy of the important bits of the current firmware, perform the READ first.

It's easy. Select the drive, select READ then press START. About 5 seconds later a 70kb tar file will be created. You can store this file away.

Once that is done, you can now WRITE the BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware to the drive by selecting WRITE (if not already), select the BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware in the drop box then press START.
vjunkie

Post by vjunkie »

Hey guys,

So I just picked up an LG BP50NB40, SVC CODE: NB52

I followed all the instructions on page 1 for this specific model and encourted no errors. It seems to be reporting as the drive in the final step so I think I did everything correctly, but in testing out my drive, I'm also testing out different software. Are these instructions specific to makemkv, or should they work with other rippers as well?

I have attached some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks ahead of time
Attachments
20220819_211324.jpg
20220819_211324.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 7043 times
dvdfab drive error.jpg
dvdfab drive error.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mvjunkie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:17 am
Hey guys,

I followed all the instructions on page 1 for this specific model and encourted no errors. It seems to be reporting as the drive in the final step so I think I did everything correctly, but in testing out my drive, I'm also testing out different software. Are these instructions specific to makemkv, or should they work with other rippers as well?

Thanks ahead of time
DVDFab does not seem to work with most MK firmware versions. I would leave the drive as is and stay far away from that garbage program.
vjunkie

Post by vjunkie »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:25 pm
mvjunkie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:17 am
Hey guys,

Thanks ahead of time
DVDFab does not seem to work with most MK firmware versions. I would leave the drive as is and stay far away from that garbage program.
LoL,

Thanks
Elysiumcore

Post by Elysiumcore »

Thank you !!!

I just flashed a 1.02 BU40N to 1.03 Woot !!!

I am noob lol - I just need some tools to Rip some of my UltraHD BR to ISO.

Any suggestion is welcome - Again.... thank you :D
Eggman

Post by Eggman »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:33 pm
Having libredrive enabled wil stop your drive's host certificate from being revoked when there is an AACS version that is newer than the device/processing keys MakeMKV uses.

With a newer AACS version, you would still have to wait for MakeMKV to be updated to be able to decrypt discs using that newer AACS version, same as always. Nothing has changed with regards to the AACS decryption process.
I still have trouble wrapping my head around this host certificate thing. From what I understand, when you insert a disc that is newer than your drive, it permanently alters your drive by quietly updating it. This shows up in MakeMKV as "Highest AACS version" (e.g. 50) and can never be reduced, even with a custom firmware. Am I getting this right?
MartyMcNuts wrote:
SDFtool flasher always has the READ option available, although with newer drives, you will only get a 70kb tar file that contains the important bits of the firmware. If you want to save this info, perform READ first, then WRITE the BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware.
I too noticed this too. I wanted to create a backup of my LG BH16NS55 1.03 Firmware in case I wanted to revert to it in the future, but the READ option gave me a 70 KB TAR file instead of a 2 MB firmware. Is there a way to generate the full firmware from the tar file or at least use it with SDFtool Flasher?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Eggman wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 pm

I still have trouble wrapping my head around this host certificate thing. From what I understand, when you insert a disc that is newer than your drive, it permanently alters your drive by quietly updating it. This shows up in MakeMKV as "Highest AACS version" (e.g. 50) and can never be reduced, even with a custom firmware. Am I getting this right?

I too noticed this too. I wanted to create a backup of my LG BH16NS55 1.03 Firmware in case I wanted to revert to it in the future, but the READ option gave me a 70 KB TAR file instead of a 2 MB firmware. Is there a way to generate the full firmware from the tar file or at least use it with SDFtool Flasher?
yes

and

you cant backup newer firmware for multiple reasons so its just the cal data there is no need to backup the original just get it from lg if you want it.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Eggman

Post by Eggman »

Thanks for clearing that up. It's a little confusing because that earlier post says:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
while the What is LibraDrive thread by admin says:
Please note that LibreDrive mode is not about hacking or meddling with AACS code. In LibreDrive mode the updated software communicates to the drive hardware directly, not touching or hacking AACS DRM code in any way at all. So your drive will continue to self-revoke on MKB updates and require authentication before releasing key material to the "authorized" software - it is just with LibreDrive mode all of it is no longer relevant.

which is kind of the opposite. Anyway, can the host revocation be bypassed by supplying MakeMKV with a keys.cfg?

As for the firmware, LG does not offer 1.03 on its website. Unless there is a repository of clean/untouched BIN files, I don't think I can get my hands on it. What I intended to do in the future was to use the SDFtool Flasher to go directly from WH16NS60 1.02MK to BH16NS55 1.03 DE (Downgrade Enabled). If that's even possible...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I think you misunderstand. When a drive is LibreDrive enabled, it will ignore host revocation. So while the revocation list inside your drive continues to get updated and host keys revoked *OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF LIBREDRIVE*, when the drive is in LibreDrive mode it doesn't matter and is bypassed/ignored.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Eggman wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:21 am
Thanks for clearing that up. It's a little confusing because that earlier post says:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
while the What is LibraDrive thread by admin says:
Please note that LibreDrive mode is not about hacking or meddling with AACS code. In LibreDrive mode the updated software communicates to the drive hardware directly, not touching or hacking AACS DRM code in any way at all. So your drive will continue to self-revoke on MKB updates and require authentication before releasing key material to the "authorized" software - it is just with LibreDrive mode all of it is no longer relevant.

which is kind of the opposite. Anyway, can the host revocation be bypassed by supplying MakeMKV with a keys.cfg?

As for the firmware, LG does not offer 1.03 on its website. Unless there is a repository of clean/untouched BIN files, I don't think I can get my hands on it. What I intended to do in the future was to use the SDFtool Flasher to go directly from WH16NS60 1.02MK to BH16NS55 1.03 DE (Downgrade Enabled). If that's even possible...
As Samurai siad, it seems you missunderstood. I have made the relevant section bold above.

There is no such thing as NS55 1.03 DE. If there has been a MK version made, then there is no DE version. In your case, the original 1.03 disabled UHD readability thus the MK version was created. For the NS55, 1.02 is the only DE verson.