WH16NS60 failed after two rips, any ideas?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
dj_earthworm

WH16NS60 failed after two rips, any ideas?

Post by dj_earthworm »

Hello,
I have a WH16NS60 that I purchased new back in Feb 2020. I successfully downgraded the firmware to 1.02mk and confirmed enabled Libre Drive. I was able to rip a move at that time, then didn't come back to do more for another few weeks. I ripped another movie just fine (same disc, different options). Again, left it and came back to it tonight, and the drive does not recognize any disc I insert, including the one I ripped prior (which has been in its case since the last rip). I tried a variety of Audio CD's, DVD's, and two different UHD discs. All of them result in the drive light flashing, a brief "grind", spin up/down, then eject.

I opened the case up and inspected, no dust/dirt. I did alcohol wipe both lasers just for good measure, checked for movement of all the mechanisms, and reassembled. Still no luck.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I hate to buy yet another drive when this one is only a few months old. (I assume my warranty is dead since I flashed)
jonghotti

Re: WH16NS60 failed after two rips, any ideas?

Post by jonghotti »

Flash the drive with the firmware version it was shipped with and get an RMA going with LG to get the drive fixed or replaced. Would be very interesting to know what they think happened to the drive.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dj_earthworm wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:45 am
Hello,
I have a WH16NS60 that I purchased new back in Feb 2020. I successfully downgraded the firmware to 1.02mk and confirmed enabled Libre Drive. I was able to rip a move at that time, then didn't come back to do more for another few weeks. I ripped another movie just fine (same disc, different options). Again, left it and came back to it tonight, and the drive does not recognize any disc I insert, including the one I ripped prior (which has been in its case since the last rip). I tried a variety of Audio CD's, DVD's, and two different UHD discs. All of them result in the drive light flashing, a brief "grind", spin up/down, then eject.

I opened the case up and inspected, no dust/dirt. I did alcohol wipe both lasers just for good measure, checked for movement of all the mechanisms, and reassembled. Still no luck.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I hate to buy yet another drive when this one is only a few months old. (I assume my warranty is dead since I flashed)
Have you had any windows 10 updates at all recently? They can cause systems to have various issues with drives.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dj_earthworm

Post by dj_earthworm »

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do the reflash and warranty work with LG. Depending on how fast they respond, I may cancel my order for the replacement. (My local Micro Center has WH16NS60 in stock). I didn't see a firmware download option on LGs site for this drive, is there a repo somewhere I can go get the factory 1.02? (I have not searched yet, as I just got going for my day, Ill take a look around to see if I can find it).

Based on the responses from you two, and the lack of other sites having troubleshooting tips, I feel like this is not the norm for this drive. I was hesitant to buy another one, but it seems to be so well liked here that I decided to give it another shot with the new one.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Put the 1.02MK on it that’ll match the sticker and as long as its not a brick they’re not going to busting your balls about FW version.
That being said I’m sure someone has stock 1.02 to put on it....
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
medikoo

Post by medikoo »

jonghotti wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:36 am
Flash the drive with the firmware version it was shipped with and get an RMA going with LG to get the drive fixed or replaced. Would be very interesting to know what they think happened to the drive.
How we can flash the drive with original firmware? Where we can get the original firmware?

Or maybe should we store it somehowe before we flash the MKV firmware? If so, how to do that?