LG BH16NS40 bricked?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
twiztedtbone

Re: LG BH16NS40 bricked?

Post by twiztedtbone »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:28 am
So, if you skipped that step, then you now have a drive with no calibration data... It is possible to get a drive working again using another drive's calibration data. Here is a WH16NS40 1.02 dump that has not been cleaned, meaning it still has all the data intact. Use dosflash to write this firmware to the drive and hopefully it will start working again.

If it doesn't work, throw the drive in the bin and get a new one!

LG_WH16NS40_(NS40)_Original_1.02_Dump.zip
Thanks my dude! I'll give this a try on Monday and let you know how it goes!

Is it safe to assume my sdftool dump doesn't include my calibration data?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

rom_1f0000.bin is your calibration data. You need to replace the last 64K in a raw image (at offset 1f0000 naturally) with contents of this file and flash it with dosflash. In theory, it is possible to flash a working firmware using new method, and the use vendor commands to re-flash the calibration data. I do not know any public tool to do so though...

Edit: Marty's image would work as a source for replacement. replace last 64k in his file.

Edit2: sdftool dump DOES include all your drive-specific data. Well, it does not include your AACS revocation record, but something tells me you won't cry over it...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:25 pm
Edit2: sdftool dump DOES include all your drive-specific data. Well, it does not include your AACS revocation record, but something tells me you won't cry over it...
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the best line I've ready today. :lol:
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

mike admin wrote:
rom_1f0000.bin is your calibration data. You need to replace the last 64K in a raw image (at offset 1f0000 naturally) with contents of this file and flash it with dosflash. In theory, it is possible to flash a working firmware using new method, and the use vendor commands to re-flash the calibration data. I do not know any public tool to do so though...
Thank you for the reply, Mike! This is uplifting news, as I've had this drive for almost 8 years and would love to keep it around if I can.
mike admin wrote:
Edit: Marty's image would work as a source for replacement. replace last 64k in his file.
I'm assuming since I'm dealing with raw binary images, the best (only?) way to do this would be in something like a hex editor (I've used HxD in the past)? Based on your language, neither sdftool nor dosflash have these capabilities; is there a specific tool you'd recommend?
mike admin wrote:
Not. One. Tear. :lol:
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

twiztedtbone wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:26 am
I'm assuming since I'm dealing with raw binary images, the best (only?) way to do this would be in something like a hex editor (I've used HxD in the past)? Based on your language, neither sdftool nor dosflash have these capabilities; is there a specific tool you'd recommend?
I think I might've figured it out; I replaced the last 64k of Marty's file with my calibration data (offset 001F0000 to 001FFFF0) using HxD; I'll flash sometime this week using dosflash. Thanks again Billy, Marty, and Mike for the huge assist, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel 8)
MastersEyes

Post by MastersEyes »

twiztedtbone wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:10 am
twiztedtbone wrote:
I think I might've figured it out; I replaced the last 64k of Marty's file with my calibration data (offset 001F0000 to 001FFFF0) using HxD; I'll flash sometime this week using dosflash. Thanks again Billy, Marty, and Mike for the huge assist, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel 8)
Please post your result, ty ;-)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MastersEyes wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 am
twiztedtbone wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:10 am
twiztedtbone wrote:
Please post your result, ty ;-)
you situation is different you still have the cal data this way would be overly complicated for no reason and is not necessary for you. you can follow the standard dos flash recovery steps.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

mike admin wrote:

Alrighty, I flashed the .bin using dosflash successfully. The drive now shows in MakeMKV as a BD-RE WH16NS40, but does not read any discs (I suspect this is expected behavior given that it's the incorrect firmware).

I'm guessing here (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I assume my next step is to use the sdftool recovery mode, choose the WH14NS40 firmware (with my calibration data added in) as the "incorrect" firmware in step 1, then for step 2 I would choose the proper HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.03-A0_NOBJ.bin (which I extracted from the official LG BH14NS40 1.03 firmware) as the firmware to flash? If I remember what I've read on the forum the past couple weeks, this essentially flashes all sectors but my calibration data, but again, guessing.

I'm so close I can taste it.

EDIT:
Here's what MakeMKV currently shows:
2021-04-06_13-40.png
2021-04-06_13-40.png (617 KiB) Viewed 14565 times
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

Welp, I think my drive might just be FUBAR...I've tried everything, both that I can think of and that everyone has suggested, and the drive still refuses to read anything.
  • I copied the entire contents of my calibration data (1f0000.bin) over the last 64k of the file provided by Marty, one of the "cleaned" 1.03 .bins in the WindowsPE .iso, and one that I dumped myself from the official LG firmware patcher, using HxD; flashing all lead to the drive being unable to read any discs
  • I tried using the data mover tool, using the hex-edited WH16NS40 .bin provided by Marty as a base and a clean 1.03 .bin as a destination, then doshflash'ing that; same result
  • I tried using the data mover tool, using the untouched WH16NS40 .bin provided by Marty as a base and a clean 1.03 .bin as a destination, then doshflash'ing that; same result
  • I tried writing the WH16NS40 .bin provided by Marty untouched (without messing with it at all) using dosflash, which lead to the firmware version reading as BOOT and, spoiler, no discs being readable
  • Finally, just for the lulz, I tried hex editing the calibration data from Marty's WH16NS40 .bin to a clean 1.03 .bin; same result
Unless anyone has any last ditch ideas (or sees a flaw in my ability to follow instructions, which is equally likely), it's probably best I just give up on the drive. I am curious though, is there not a way to create a flashable .bin off the .tar archive that the sdftool creates when doing a dump/read? If so, I'd at least be able to try from scratch using a .bin that I know has my calibration data on it.

On the plus side, I can serve as a PSA for future people about reading the fkn manual before you do things like this. Also, I now consider myself a complete expert in dosflash, hex editing, and sdftool, and can happily tell people to never take advice from me.

Thanks again to Billy, Marty, and Mike for trying to help, y'all are the true heroes.
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ah sorry man i though that would have fixed it im out of ideas
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

twiztedtbone wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 pm
Welp, I think my drive might just be FUBAR...I've tried everything, both that I can think of and that everyone has suggested, and the drive still refuses to read anything.
Your drive is in the boot mode. The main firmware is dead, so the (very reduced) firmware from the boot loader takes control. If dosflash succeeded, then your calibration data is in place. So, we just need to fix the main firmware. )

Your first objective is to get rid of "BOOT" revision, i.e. force drive to bott into main firmware. You need a flashing tool that can flash in recovery (boot) mode. SDFtool can't do this, but any official falsher can. You need to get an official flasher that corresponds to your firmware and flash the main image.

Once you have a working firmware (working as in accepting commands and displaying right version) then you can use Marty's magic tools to flash a proper firmware.

This is amazing quest, please post your progress. I think that we might be able to recover your drive no matter what...
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 pm
This is amazing quest, please post your progress. I think that we might be able to recover your drive no matter what...
Now that's downright inspiring...fk it, let's keep going. And to think I was about to purchase a new drive.
mike admin wrote:
Your first objective is to get rid of "BOOT" revision, i.e. force drive to bott into main firmware. You need a flashing tool that can flash in recovery (boot) mode. SDFtool can't do this, but any official falsher can. You need to get an official flasher that corresponds to your firmware and flash the main image.
Alrighty...I went back to Marty's post and grabbed a fresh copy of the WH16NS40 firmware; I copied my calibration data using HxD and flashed it to the drive using dosflash, which successfully got me back to BOOT firmware revision. I then grabbed a proper copy (directly from LG support site) of the WH16NS40 1.02-A0 firmware flasher (same version as Marty's attachment) and successfully flashed the drive, which now looks like this in MakeMKV:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.38 KiB) Viewed 14392 times
Just for fun, I tried putting a DVD in the drive. Rather than immediately do nothing, this time the MakeMKV drive logo spun for about 30 seconds, all the while the drive was making the same weird *buzz click buzz* sound over and over. It didn't end up reading the disc ofc, and I dunno if any of that's relevant, but there ya go.
mike admin wrote:
Once you have a working firmware (working as in accepting commands and displaying right version) then you can use Marty's magic tools to flash a proper firmware.
Here's where I'm afraid I'll fk something up again, so I'll defer. In this case, is the magic tool the sdftool recovery mode or one of the modified flashers? Either way, what are the correct, non-idiot steps to undertake in using them?
MartyMcNuts wrote:
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

Friendly bump :mrgreen:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
twiztedtbone

Post by twiztedtbone »

I'm officially throwing in the towel. I can't think of anything I haven't tried at this point, both intuitively and regarding everyone's suggestions. After Mike's reply, I used the following state as a starting point for each thing I tried:

"Dirty" WH16 firmware from Marty (my calibration data hex-edited in) flashed with dosflash, cleared boot mode by flashing official WH16 firmware over it.

Here were the things I tried from there (after each failed I redid the above process before moving on):
  • Using sdftool, choose Recover, choose WH16 firmware, then choose correct BH16 firmware
  • Same as above, but doing Write instead of Recover and choosing the BH16 firmware
  • Attempting to use Marty's modified ASUS flasher, but no matter what firmware I chose, it would just say something to the effect of "this firmware is up to date"
  • Using the modified LG flasher (that allows you to choose the FW file), flash the correct BH16 firmware
Each one of the above lead to the same outcome: drive shows with all the correct info in the sidebar of MakeMKV, but spins discs for about 30 seconds (making the same repeated three noises the whole time) and eventually just doesn't show that there's a disc in the drive.

Thanks everyone who tried to help (and for all the good they do in and for the community), and let this be a really obvious warning for everyone: don't flash your 2014 BH16 drive with NS50 firmware, and if you do, don't try using dosflash to recover it without first using the data mover (or at the very least doing a dosflash read)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

twiztedtbone wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 pm
I'm officially throwing in the towel. I can't think of anything I haven't tried at this point, both intuitively and regarding everyone's suggestions. After Mike's reply, I used the following state as a starting point for each thing I tried:

"Dirty" WH16 firmware from Marty (my calibration data hex-edited in) flashed with dosflash, cleared boot mode by flashing official WH16 firmware over it.

Here were the things I tried from there (after each failed I redid the above process before moving on):
  • Using sdftool, choose Recover, choose WH16 firmware, then choose correct BH16 firmware
  • Same as above, but doing Write instead of Recover and choosing the BH16 firmware
  • Attempting to use Marty's modified ASUS flasher, but no matter what firmware I chose, it would just say something to the effect of "this firmware is up to date"
  • Using the modified LG flasher (that allows you to choose the FW file), flash the correct BH16 firmware
Each one of the above lead to the same outcome: drive shows with all the correct info in the sidebar of MakeMKV, but spins discs for about 30 seconds (making the same repeated three noises the whole time) and eventually just doesn't show that there's a disc in the drive.

Thanks everyone who tried to help (and for all the good they do in and for the community), and let this be a really obvious warning for everyone: don't flash your 2014 BH16 drive with NS50 firmware, and if you do, don't try using dosflash to recover it without first using the data mover (or at the very least doing a dosflash read)
Yeah, wise decision. It's not worth the stress over an old drive. Time for a new one!!!!

Sorry we couldn't be of more help....
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com