Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Renovatio

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

Post by Renovatio »

So bdr-xd07tuhd drive should be able to rip UHD no problem? Sorry if I am double asking, it is just I saw posts from feb 2022 stating that this drive does not work for ripping UHD and I am not sure when it was added to the list of compatible drives in thos post.
Browar

Post by Browar »

Hello dear community,
I'm about to buy a used LG BH16NS55 (2017/12/24) and wanted to know beforehand if I can flash it with a USB to SATA adapter?
I have a Digitus USB to IDE/SATA adapter.
Otherwise I would buy the Y-1099NEW from Unitek.

Thank you very much
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Browar wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Hello dear community,
I'm about to buy a used LG BH16NS55 (2017/12/24) and wanted to know beforehand if I can flash it with a USB to SATA adapter?

Thank you very much
Not sure let use know so we can put it on list if it does.
But that unitek no longer supports disc drive that's why it's removed from the guide
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
bryanxroy

Post by bryanxroy »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:37 pm
bryanxroy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 pm
I have updated (down graded) my Blue ray (BD-RE WH16NS40) to:-

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

The thing is I have loaded a HD DVD into it and it comes up
No disc inserted

Any Ideas

Thxs
No hd DVDs there is no drive that does UHD and hd dvd
Thxs Billy..
Browar

Post by Browar »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:32 pm
Browar wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Hello dear community,

Thank you very much
Not sure let use know so we can put it on list if it does.
But that unitek no longer supports disc drive that's why it's removed from the guide
I bought a new BU40N and will try it first with the Digitus adapter.
As an alternative, I bought a new techpulse 120.

Thanks for your reply Billy
Browar

Post by Browar »

Good evening dear community,
my BU40N has arrived and has the firmware 1.04.
I took the file HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.04-NM00500-212005061142.bin (enc checked) and flashed it, it worked.
After that I flashed with DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin without an error message.

I also get the following error when backing up:
Hash check of file at offset failed, file is corrupt.
Problem solved:
i put the drive in to the usb 3.x on the mainboard panel
drive speed is now by 5.2x and goes up
xbmchermit

Post by xbmchermit »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 am
xbmchermit wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 am
I've tried reading earlier in this forum, but I just can't seem to piece together what I need to do.

I just got a BP60NB10 with 1.02 firmware and SVC: NB12.

What are the benefits of flashing the firmware on this drive, and how would I go about doing it (I see several warnings about NB12)?
If you want to be able to rip UHD discs with your drive, flash it to BP60NB10 1.02-MK and that's it.
Awesome, thanks! Do I just flash directly to that firmware, or do I have to flash to something else, then to that one?
xbmchermit

Post by xbmchermit »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 am
xbmchermit wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 am
I've tried reading earlier in this forum, but I just can't seem to piece together what I need to do.

I just got a BP60NB10 with 1.02 firmware and SVC: NB12.

What are the benefits of flashing the firmware on this drive, and how would I go about doing it (I see several warnings about NB12)?
If you want to be able to rip UHD discs with your drive, flash it to BP60NB10 1.02-MK and that's it.
Never mind my last post - I went for it and it worked! Thank you so much!
kubev

Post by kubev »

I recently purchased another Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK, as another one I own seems to be failing. I'm having trouble getting this one flashed to custom firmware, though. I know this drive is a rebranded LG BU40N, so I referenced this part of the first post of this thread:
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 am
BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work, so I referenced this part of the first post of this thread:
Billycar11 wrote:
LG 1.04+ / BU40N 1.03 / Asus 3.10+ and similar
The newer OEM firmwares cannot be flashed easily due to the additional downgrade checks implemented by the drive/firmware manufacturer. If your drive has one of these firmwares, and there is no MK version of the same firmware/drive model or higher number, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MK (for compatible ASUS 5.25 drives ONLY) or (LG WH16NS60 1.02MK for compatible LG 5.25) or (BU40N 1.03MK LG Slim drives ONLY) respectively. (Note: MK firmware is available for firmware versions mentioned above.) Keeping the flashing of firmware in these scenarios within their respective family of drives/firmware (e.g ASUS firmware for ASUS drives and LG firmware for LG drives) at this stage of flashing. Then afterwards if that initial flash is successful you can move to different firmware respectively if you would like a different and compatible firmware version for the drive in question.

As previously stated in this guide. DO NOT crossflash between ASUS and LG firmware for slim drives like the LG BU40N for example. It will brick your drive. You’ve now been warned twice within this guide regarding this.

Unlocked Flashers, Downgrade Enabled Firmware and MK Firmware:

The only flasher anyone should be using now is Martys SDF GUI it now has built in safety's still check out the requirements and follow the recommending firmware but it shouldn't let you brick an old drive and should detect if the firmware is encrypted automatically

New! The all you need firmware pack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HRnbXi ... sp=sharing

New! GUI SDF tool: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896
By: MartyMcNuts

Asus flasher: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933

LG flasher + DE firmware viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284
By: Blackened2687 & Billycar11

MK firmware: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113
By: Mike Admin
Here's how MakeMKV currently detects the drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: BU14
Serial number: MO7LB9K4141
Firmware date: 2121-06-21 13:30
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information

What version of the firmware am I supposed to be "sidegrading" to in this case? And which flasher am I supposed to be using? I've been trying to use the latest version of SDFtool Flasher without success. I thought maybe I was misinterpreting the instructions and that I maybe needed to initially use an official but unlocked flasher to get past the downgrade check, but the link referencing the LG flasher tool doesn't seem to actually have a tool linked at the other end (unless it's the .exe within that pack you can download, but that doesn't detect a compatible drive for me).

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, on my previous two Buffalo drives of this model, I've always used firmware MK 1.04, though I see more recommendations for MK 1.03 (which is what I've been trying to flash to the new drive). What are the issues with MK 1.04 that keep people from recommending it? MK 1.04 has only been more reliable for me.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

kubev wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 pm
I recently purchased another Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK, as another one I own seems to be failing. I'm having trouble getting this one flashed to custom firmware, though. I know this drive is a rebranded LG BU40N, so I referenced this part of the first post of this thread:
Billycar11 wrote:
BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work, so I referenced this part of the first post of this thread:
Billycar11 wrote:
LG 1.04+ / BU40N 1.03 / Asus 3.10+ and similar
The newer OEM firmwares cannot be flashed easily due to the additional downgrade checks implemented by the drive/firmware manufacturer. If your drive has one of these firmwares, and there is no MK version of the same firmware/drive model or higher number, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MK (for compatible ASUS 5.25 drives ONLY) or (LG WH16NS60 1.02MK for compatible LG 5.25) or (BU40N 1.03MK LG Slim drives ONLY) respectively. (Note: MK firmware is available for firmware versions mentioned above.) Keeping the flashing of firmware in these scenarios within their respective family of drives/firmware (e.g ASUS firmware for ASUS drives and LG firmware for LG drives) at this stage of flashing. Then afterwards if that initial flash is successful you can move to different firmware respectively if you would like a different and compatible firmware version for the drive in question.

As previously stated in this guide. DO NOT crossflash between ASUS and LG firmware for slim drives like the LG BU40N for example. It will brick your drive. You’ve now been warned twice within this guide regarding this.

Unlocked Flashers, Downgrade Enabled Firmware and MK Firmware:

The only flasher anyone should be using now is Martys SDF GUI it now has built in safety's still check out the requirements and follow the recommending firmware but it shouldn't let you brick an old drive and should detect if the firmware is encrypted automatically

New! The all you need firmware pack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HRnbXi ... sp=sharing

New! GUI SDF tool: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896

Asus flasher: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18933

LG flasher + DE firmware viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284
By: Blackened2687 & Billycar11

MK firmware: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113
By: Mike Admin
Here's how MakeMKV currently detects the drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: BU14
Serial number: MO7LB9K4141
Firmware date: 2121-06-21 13:30
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information

What version of the firmware am I supposed to be "sidegrading" to in this case? And which flasher am I supposed to be using? I've been trying to use the latest version of SDFtool Flasher without success. I thought maybe I was misinterpreting the instructions and that I maybe needed to initially use an official but unlocked flasher to get past the downgrade check, but the link referencing the LG flasher tool doesn't seem to actually have a tool linked at the other end (unless it's the .exe within that pack you can download, but that doesn't detect a compatible drive for me).

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, on my previous two Buffalo drives of this model, I've always used firmware MK 1.04, though I see more recommendations for MK 1.03 (which is what I've been trying to flash to the new drive). What are the issues with MK 1.04 that keep people from recommending it? MK 1.04 has only been more reliable for me.
Enc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
kubev

Post by kubev »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 pm
Enc
I'm not sure I understand, unless this has something to do with whether the firmware is encrypted.

In SDFtool Flasher v1.3.4, MT1959 Platform is checked, but Encrypted Firmware is NOT checked. Also, regardless of which firmware I select to flash to the drive, the process SEEMS to work properly as it's flashing, but the firmware doesn't actually flash to the drive. It remains unchanged.

EDIT: Disregard. I ended up using a different tool, but it seems I could've just resolved this by checking the Encrypted Firmware option (which I didn't realize was interactive) on the SDFtool Flasher interface.
Last edited by kubev on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

kubev wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:01 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Enc
I'm not sure I understand, unless this has something to do with whether the firmware is encrypted.

In SDFtool Flasher v1.3.4, MT1959 Platform is checked, but Encrypted Firmware is NOT checked. Also, regardless of which firmware I select to flash to the drive, the process SEEMS to work properly as it's flashing, but the firmware doesn't actually flash to the drive. It remains unchanged.

EDIT: Disregard. This may not resolve the issue when strictly using the tools mentioned in this guide,
all you had to do is check or use the enc command its in the list of encrypted firmware.
we dont talk about that program here its just a ripoff of makemkv
kubev

Post by kubev »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:23 pm
all you had to do is check or use the enc command its in the list of encrypted firmware.
we dont talk about that program here its just a ripoff of makemkv
Oh, sorry about that. I didn't realize that was interactive, and I assumed it'd just be checked if the firmware WAS encrypted. At least I know that for future reference. And I'll remove the reference to the software we shall not speak of. Didn't realize that's what it was.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kubev wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:01 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Enc

EDIT: Disregard. I ended up using a different tool, but it seems I could've just resolved this by checking the Encrypted Firmware option (which I didn't realize was interactive) on the SDFtool Flasher interface.
So, you see, there's this thing called "instructions", that when actually read, will tell you how to use a tool and if there are any other features a tool may have....
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
vjunkie

Post by vjunkie »

Billycar11 wrote:

BP50NB40 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK then to > BP60NB10 1.02MK or 1.00MK
NB52 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with enc > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with bootloader/full flash > BP60NB10 1.00_HBD from Marty download/file.php?id=2143
if using command line add "full" after rawflash

BP60NB10 on any Firmware directly to > BP60NB10 1.02MK

I have the BP50NB40 SVC CODE: NB52 and followed the instructions on the 1st page of this post: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896

It varies a little bit from your instructions, unless I am reading it wrong. Is there any benefit to re-doing the process in the way you are describing here?

My BP50NB40 SVC CODE: NB52 is currently on on firmware: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BP60NB10_1.00 ( not encrypted )

I have ripped a few 4k UHD so far with no issues, but I do see quite a few AV/sync errors that it says it corrected while reading. Just trying to make my drive operate in the most efficient manner.

Thanks!