Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
My1xT

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

Post by My1xT »

is there a reason why the recommendation is to flash the fw of a different drive?

seems weird to do that rather than to just use a modded fw intended for the drive.

also the flasher I used is BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe
from over here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873#p70284
it said that there was an error but weirdly enough the drive reports as 1.05 and seems to work

also a post from mike says the unlocked LG flasher sends the update to the drive and it does the update by itself, so an encrypted fw shouldnt matter to the flasher anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18857
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

The modded firmware doesn't fix the sleep bug. The only modification is to enable Libredrive.

None of the official BH16NS55 firmware versions fix the sleep bug either.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

My1xT wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:15 pm
is there a reason why the recommendation is to flash the fw of a different drive?

seems weird to do that rather than to just use a modded fw intended for the drive.
It relates to the definition of the "sleep bug"... the WH16NS55 is a "friendly" drive & the recommended FW is for an "official" drive. Hence it is immune to the "sleep bug". My suggestion assumes a prior flash might have been corrupt & were that the root of the problem you describe, trying the recommended FW is worth a shot. The alternative is buggy hardware you will just have to live with, as it's too late to RMA.
My1xT wrote:
from over here:
it said that there was an error but weirdly enough the drive reports as 1.05 and seems to work

also a post from mike says the unlocked LG flasher sends the update to the drive and it does the update by itself, so an encrypted fw shouldnt matter to the flasher anyway.
I'm certain that over the years, many threads claim many things. The 1st post of this thread is considered the "definitive" UHD drive guide, & is regularly maintained by Billycar11. It's a 'pinned' ('sticky') topic for a reason. Consider the ones you referenced "old news"... check dates.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. The choice is yours.
My1xT

Post by My1xT »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:20 pm
The modded firmware doesn't fix the sleep bug. The only modification is to enable Libredrive.

None of the official BH16NS55 firmware versions fix the sleep bug either.
sure the mod not but maybe (that was my hope at least) that the new version 1.05 might have done something
d00zah wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:50 pm
My1xT wrote:

It relates to the definition of the "sleep bug"... the WH16NS55 is a "friendly" drive & the recommended FW is for an "official" drive. Hence it is immune to the "sleep bug". My suggestion assumes a prior flash might have been corrupt & were that the root of the problem you describe, trying the recommended FW is worth a shot. The alternative is buggy hardware you will just have to live with, as it's too late to RMA.
okay interesting. I'll take a look at how 1.05 works and if I still have issues I can try the other one, might have also just been a weird bug in that 1.04 for the drive or whatever no idea.
My1xT wrote:
from over here:

I'm certain that over the years, many threads claim many things. The 1st post of this thread is considered the "definitive" UHD drive guide, & is regularly maintained by Billycar11. It's a 'pinned' ('sticky') topic for a reason. Consider the ones you referenced "old news"... check dates.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. The choice is yours.
well the post that links the flasher is itself linked in the first post as the recommended flasher for LG.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

My1xT wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:07 am
well the post that links the flasher is itself linked in the first post as the recommended flasher for LG.
While multiple flash tools exist, I tend to suggest the SDFtool Flasher as it is a front-end for the MakeMKV native command line tool, which is generic to all drives, gets updates w/ MakeMKV (if necessary) & supports both encrypted/unencrypted FWs. ... a one stop shop.

Don't tell anyone, but most of these 5.25" 'MT1959 'drives are the same hardware, regardless of vendor/model. :wink: Still, people tend to want to fixate on a specific vendor/model. :)
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

icebreaker374 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:26 am
For some reason I cannot get my BP60NB10 to rip 4K UHD disc's anymore. I keep getting a BDMV STREAM is corrupt or invalid at offset attempting to work around error. I've had the drive 4-5 months now and used to be able to rip 4K UHD just fine. Is my drive dying already or am I doing something wrong? Doesn't work on MK firmware 1.01 or 1.02.
Did you try to rip a 4K UHD disc that you have previously ripped successfully? If yes, then it is possible that your drive is dying.
icebreaker374

Post by icebreaker374 »

liamtoh1 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:58 am
icebreaker374 wrote:
For some reason I cannot get my BP60NB10 to rip 4K UHD disc's anymore. I keep getting a BDMV STREAM is corrupt or invalid at offset attempting to work around error. I've had the drive 4-5 months now and used to be able to rip 4K UHD just fine. Is my drive dying already or am I doing something wrong? Doesn't work on MK firmware 1.01 or 1.02.
Did you try to rip a 4K UHD disc that you have previously ripped successfully? If yes, then it is possible that your drive is dying.
No this is a disc I'm trying to rip for the first time.
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

icebreaker374 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:01 am
liamtoh1 wrote:
icebreaker374 wrote:
If a previously ripped disc can be ripped again then your drive is OK and disc is the problem. Try cleaning the disc or if it still does not work then you may have to try to get it (4k disc) exchanged.
icebreaker374

Post by icebreaker374 »

liamtoh1 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:09 am
icebreaker374 wrote:
liamtoh1 wrote:

If a previously ripped disc can be ripped again then your drive is OK and disc is the problem. Try cleaning the disc or if it still does not work then you may have to try to get it (4k disc) exchanged.
I seem to keep getting hash check errors. Is it really that likely that with a 4 month old drive and a BRAND new disc that the disc could be dead?
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

More likely than you would think. There are plenty of reports of people exchanging discs that could not be read to find that the replacement could be read.

No harm in cleaning the disc and trying again. It costs you nothing.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

icebreaker374 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:32 am
liamtoh1 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:09 am
icebreaker374 wrote:

I seem to keep getting hash check errors. Is it really that likely that with a 4 month old drive and a BRAND new disc that the disc could be dead?
Yes it is possible to have brand new discs that are received faulty, with not even a scratch on them.

I have now to date received 2 x brand new 4K discs from Amazon that were faulty.

The discs were as follows:

Olympus has Fallen & Speed

The replacement discs worked perfect. I tested the original discs with the following drives after cleaning and they still did not work.

BW-16D1HT, BC-12D2HT BU40N, BP60NB10, BH16NS55, BH16NS40 & WH16NS60.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
ancient

Post by ancient »

Asmcom / guys ...what do you use to clean the discs?
ancient

Post by ancient »

I'm looking into an additional drive to my slimline one...

Which of the 5.25 drives is the newest model pls?

Also I thought I read somewhere that there was one drive that did not have the sleep bug on an official DE firmware, is this correct? does anyone know which Drive/ firmware that is?
dot19408

Post by dot19408 »

I just received a new drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KL5L3TG2140
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 57

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Before I flash it, I need to know if I have to backup any encryption keys or anything.

I flashed a Blu-Ray drive a few years ago, and when done, it would not read DVDs or Blu-Rays. Someone said I had flashed it with downloaded firmware, without first backing up the drives keys.

I've read through the thread, but haven't seen anything about this.

THANKS for all the hard work!
ancient

Post by ancient »

dot19408 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:52 pm
I just received a new drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KL5L3TG2140
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 57

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Before I flash it, I need to know if I have to backup any encryption keys or anything.

I flashed a Blu-Ray drive a few years ago, and when done, it would not read DVDs or Blu-Rays. Someone said I had flashed it with downloaded firmware, without first backing up the drives keys.

I've read through the thread, but haven't seen anything about this.

THANKS for all the hard work!
No need to back up the Keys etc mate
You can go straght to Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK