Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
dvdbr

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

Post by dvdbr »

Hi
Thanks for writing up this extensive guide.
I apologize, if my question already was answered - searching the forum for the respective terms, I did not find anything and I just do not make any mistakes, that later on cannot be reversed. So directly to the question:

Setting the option to "encrypted" or not for the original firmware
ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_211901041014_xxxxxxxx
and a
BU40N (no info on the original firmware, yet, sorry)

Here are the details:

I got myself the Asus BW16D1HT today, downloaded the appropriate tools and firmwares and first, made a dump with SDFTool to have the original firmware as a backup

ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_211901041014_xxxxxxx

Following the extensive guide at the top of this post, I am ALMOST there to do the flashing process, but I am still not sure about whether to check the "encrypted" box or not.
In the guide, it says "Asus BW-16D1HT on any Firmware directly to > Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK"
I could not find my above mentioned original FW in the "encrypted list", and I just do not want to make any mistake (btw.: would it hurt to get it wrong the first time, when mistakenly doing the wrong "check" in the encrypted checkbox and later on repeating the process? How would I know I got it wrong?).

Same question goes for the BU40N, which I got - I will flash it in the computer, but still have to find the proper SATA adapter, so unfortunately, I have no info on the original firmware (I will later on mount it in a USB drive enclosure, that I still have lying around).
In your guide, it also says "BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK" So: "encrypted" or not?

Thanks for your help, and, again, sorry if I overlooked any already existing answers in my forum-search.
Last edited by dvdbr on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancient

Post by ancient »

Billy Just to let you know (for the guide) it looks like the BU40N no longer has the svc code on the label
Last edited by ancient on Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter0108

Post by Carter0108 »

I followed this guide about a year ago with a newly purchased LG WH16NS40 but have only just purchased my first UHD Blu-Ray. MakeMKV is stuck indefinitely trying to load the disc and the drive just gets very noisy. Any idea what's wrong?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Carter0108 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:14 pm
I followed this guide about a year ago with a newly purchased LG WH16NS40 but have only just purchased my first UHD Blu-Ray. MakeMKV is stuck indefinitely trying to load the disc and the drive just gets very noisy. Any idea what's wrong?
From the 1st post:

Sleep Bug:

All UHD Friendly drives have the sleep bug, this is when a UHD disk is left idle in the drive for 2 minutes. Once the drive goes to sleep, the UHD Friendly drive will no longer be able to read the disk without opening and closing the disk tray and will make horrible seeking noises until this is done.

Sleep Bug Fix:

To fix the sleep bug on a UHD Friendly drive flash firmware from an UHD Official drive like WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or 1.01MK
joitronix

Post by joitronix »

Hi, thnk for your job, i'm a very big jackie chan fan, and i want to transfer them to my pc, seems the ps3 cant read uhd dics.... after investigating too much y found your post and i found a "cheaper" reader that is in your list:
https://www.amazon.es/Asus-BC-12D2HT-Bl ... 00F0SQLR8/
Y can't see in your list, not work or something?, i found the bin and other posts that have it:
Some people say i need to put sata on ide is necessary with your tool?
Is that easy than select the bin file and select the drive and press write or i need to check something before?
THNK YOU VERY MUCH.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

joitronix wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:01 am
Hi, thnk for your job, i'm a very big jackie chan fan, and i want to transfer them to my pc, seems the ps3 cant read uhd dics.... after investigating too much y found your post and i found a "cheaper" reader that is in your list:
Y can't see in your list, not work or something?, i found the bin and other posts that have it:
Is that easy than select the bin file and select the drive and press write or i need to check something before?
THNK YOU VERY MUCH.
This guide is correct the other ones with ide are old
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
joitronix

Post by joitronix »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:11 pm
joitronix wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:01 am
THNK YOU VERY MUCH.
This guide is correct the other ones with ide are old
But not appear this model: 12D2HT and the firmware patched is not in the file its for any particular reason?, its the only uhd drive that can y buy i'm from spain and buy already patched is too expensive for me.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

joitronix wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:40 pm

But not appear this model: 12D2HT and the firmware patched is not in the file its for any particular reason?, its the only uhd drive that can y buy i'm from spain and buy already patched is too expensive for me.
if its mt1959 your fine to flash it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Mizkreant

Post by Mizkreant »

The label on my drive (WP50NB40) says SVCNB50. Is it safe to flash? Everything else checks out.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Mizkreant wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:46 pm
The label on my drive (WP50NB40) says SVCNB50. Is it safe to flash? Everything else checks out.
Yes.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dvdbr

Possibly found a working drive enclosure available in Europe

Post by dvdbr »

@Billycar11

I wanted to provide some hopefully useful information about drive enclosures, that worked with MakeMKV and the BU40N drive.
I am no expert in the matter, so further testing from more seasoned board members could help verify this.

I got a BU40N and flashed it via a "SATA 22-pin to Micro SATA 16-pin" adapter from inside my computer (just did not want to risk any experiments).
As for the enclosure, I tried out one, that I already had and is readily available in Europe, before ordering the Vantec NST-510S3-BK from overseas.

"External Enclosure for 5.25″ Ultra Slim SATA Drives 9.5 mm to USB Type-A male", Item No. 42603, by "Delock"
https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_651_5-25-.html

The chipset in the enclosure (Initio INIC-3619) is also used in other enclosures of their product line.

What I did not try was to flash the firmware - just was not sure, whether I could brick the drive by trying.
I could do a firmware dump with the SDFTool Flasher though, if this gives any indication, that the communication between the computer, the enclosure and the drive works...

So, your are welcome to test the enclosure and eventually put it on your list, if you want to.
jedipizza

Post by jedipizza »

Hi guys, first thanks for this guide, that's very helpful.

But just to be 100% sure of what I'm doing and what it will do, here's my question:

I just received my WH16NS40, it is a 2020 model with 1.05 as per its sticker (SVC NS50).
If I got it right, I could simply downgrade it directly to the according MK firmware to get BD and UHD BD ripping capability without the sleep bug?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jedipizza wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Hi guys, first thanks for this guide, that's very helpful.

But just to be 100% sure of what I'm doing and what it will do, here's my question:

I just received my WH16NS40, it is a 2020 model with 1.05 as per its sticker (SVC NS50).
If I got it right, I could simply downgrade it directly to the according MK firmware to get BD and UHD BD ripping capability without the sleep bug?
yes if you follow the guide you wont have the sleep bug or get an automated flasher from me or Marty
jedipizza

Post by jedipizza »

Got it, thanks!
bwkoppen

Post by bwkoppen »

Why am I getting this error?

C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV>makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d D: rawflash enc - i C:\Users\Acer\Downloads\Downgrade Enabled Firmware V.2r\DE_LG WH16NS60_1.00.bin

Input file in raw format is required
DEBUG: Code 4280426501 at Mx=Q{%DdK23UWRSK}6/xi^l-6'?wWl*&:29397564

Command produced error code 0x8f222005

Drive
LG WH14NS40

Firmware 1.05

I am having trouble with some of the new Disney movies so I was going to try the LB WH16NS60 1.00