Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Post by asmcom »

FrostBitten wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:14 pm
Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:15 am
FrostBitten wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:02 am
Just buy the out-of-box UHD capable pioneer drives if you can, and save yourself much angst and $$.
You really don't have to buy a Pioneer. I have an LG BH16NS55 which is flashed with the WH16NS60_1.02MK firmware and it has, and continues to, perform flawlessly. I have ripped over 180 UHDs so far.
Have you gotten that recently? Because it seems that they're no longer available on the primary market...
Your drive should be working flawlessly. I can back up 100 discs in a row and never get a read error with the drive below.

Asmcom

b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

FrostBitten wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:11 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:26 am

If you get read errors try cleaning your discs! This does solve the issue 99% of the time,
They're pristine. If there's ever anything on them, I gently wipe them with a clean microfiber cloth then blow any residual dust off with canned air.
Most UHD discs have an invisible to the naked eye film on them from the production process that can cause read issues. This is why I said you should try cleaning your discs.

Try with just a microfiber cloth first. If you still get read errors, try using soapy water then dry with a microfiber cloth.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

FrostBitten wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:
FrostBitten wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:02 am
Just buy the out-of-box UHD capable pioneer drives if you can, and save yourself much angst and $$.
You really don't have to buy a Pioneer. I have an LG BH16NS55 which is flashed with the WH16NS60_1.02MK firmware and it has, and continues to, perform flawlessly. I have ripped over 180 UHDs so far.
Have you gotten that recently? Because it seems that they're no longer available on the primary market...
No, I bought it a few years ago. I thought that I had seen availability but then I'm not actively looking....
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

:roll:
Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 pm
FrostBitten wrote:
Mr_Orange wrote:

No, I bought it a few years ago. I thought that I had seen availability but then I'm not actively looking....
I do have availability of this drive. See my seller page on this forum

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
jedidarrick

Post by jedidarrick »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:16 am

The first command tells you the identifier for your drive. The second command needs the drive identifier to know which drive to operate on. Use the identifier discovered in the first command in the second command.
I followed your advice, and I was able to start ripping UHDs through MakeMKV! Thanks a million!
Ancela

Post by Ancela »

Hello, I've been using a WH14NS40 with WH16NS60 1.02-MK and it seems to rip fine but it fails halfway through writing BD DL. It seems like Pioneer are the best drives to get now, although they are a little pricy. I am planning to get a BDR-XS07UHD, although I am not ripping UHD now but maybe in the future.
chronomac

Post by chronomac »

Have a WH16NS60 drive in a NST-536S3-BK enclosure on 1.02 firmware. Whenever I power on the enclosure I can rip a disc or two without an issue (4k or Blu-ray) but after that, whenever I put a disc in, I get the "No disc inserted" message. Luckily, powering off the drive and then powering it back on after a minute or so resolves the issue temporarily. But I keep having to do this. Any idea what the cause of this is or how to remedy it?
JSD50

Post by JSD50 »

I have an LG BP50Nb40 UltraslimPortable Blu-ray Writer. I cannot find it listed in your instructions. I am building a website for film reviews, and I rip the extras from those discs to accompany a film's review: clips, trailers, stills, etc. At present, I only have HD Blu-ray discs, so I am able to rip them from my drive without a problem. I want the site to look as professional as possible, so I worry about the quality of an HD rip. If a visitor watches the trailer or clip I have embedded in a review article, It is small enough to be acceptable. But if the visitor chooses to watch it full-screen, the picture quality suffers. This is especially true for older films like Citizen Kane or Seven Samurai. For this reason, I have been considering buying a 4K copy of each film I review.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I flash the firmware on my particular 4K player? I should point out that I work on a Mac.
2. I have only seen flash files with .exe extension. Is there a flash file that will work for a Mac?
3. If I can and do flash my drive, will I still be able to rip from HD Blu-ray discs? (Some films are not available in 4K UHD.
4. What do you charge for remote flashing?
Ancela

Post by Ancela »

JSD50 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:05 pm
I have an LG BP50Nb40 UltraslimPortable Blu-ray Writer. I cannot find it listed in your instructions. I am building a website for film reviews, and I rip the extras from those discs to accompany a film's review: clips, trailers, stills, etc. At present, I only have HD Blu-ray discs, so I am able to rip them from my drive without a problem. I want the site to look as professional as possible, so I worry about the quality of an HD rip. If a visitor watches the trailer or clip I have embedded in a review article, It is small enough to be acceptable. But if the visitor chooses to watch it full-screen, the picture quality suffers. This is especially true for older films like Citizen Kane or Seven Samurai. For this reason, I have been considering buying a 4K copy of each film I review.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I flash the firmware on my particular 4K player? I should point out that I work on a Mac.
2. I have only seen flash files with .exe extension. Is there a flash file that will work for a Mac?
3. If I can and do flash my drive, will I still be able to rip from HD Blu-ray discs? (Some films are not available in 4K UHD.
4. What do you charge for remote flashing?
The quality issue is almost certainly due to transcoding/re-encoding/etc. being performed before/during the upload to your website. So ripping in 4K won't help.

Anyways, to answer your questions:
1. From OP:
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 am
BP50NB40 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK then to > BP60NB10 1.02MK or 1.00MK
NB52 to > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with enc > BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK with bootloader/full flash > BP60NB10 1.00_HBD from Marty download/file.php?id=2143
if using command line add "full" after rawflash
2. From OP:
Billycar11 wrote:
Mac/linux commands to flash.

1. download sdf.bin https://makemkv.com/sdf.bin
2. download the all you need firmware pack

3. Extract the file you need for your drive from the all you need firmware pack pick from the recommended firmware section.

4. then in terminal on the Mac
copy sdf.bin and the firmware file extracted from theall you need firmware pack into /tmp folder.

5. in terminal change directory "cd /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS"

6. type "./makemkvcon f -l"

This will show your drive identifier should look similar to this ''/IOBDServices/D5D25996'
Found 1 drives(s)
00: /IOBDServices/D5D25996, /dev/rdisk3, /dev/rdisk3
HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.01_211910161032_MOFK6283224

7. to perform the flash, type "./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/D5D25996' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /tmp/your firmware filename here
or ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/D5D25996' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash enc -i /tmp/your firmware filename here
if your firmware is on the encrypted list
3. Yes

4. From OP's signature:
Billycar11 wrote:
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Ancela wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:17 pm
Hello, I've been using a WH14NS40 with WH16NS60 1.02-MK and it seems to rip fine but it fails halfway through writing BD DL. It seems like Pioneer are the best drives to get now, although they are a little pricy. I am planning to get a BDR-XS07UHD, although I am not ripping UHD now but maybe in the future.
I'm curious if you're burning movies to BD DL and if so, why? I'm always fascinated by people's reasons. One person I remember was just trying to get movies into the back seat of the minivan for the kids. Another person was trying to get a copy of their movies to a second home.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Ancela wrote:
For people who want errorless results burning BD DL discs:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the-lon ... -tl.86133/
Ancela

Post by Ancela »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:11 am
Ancela wrote:
I'm curious if you're burning movies to BD DL and if so, why? I'm always fascinated by people's reasons. One person I remember was just trying to get movies into the back seat of the minivan for the kids. Another person was trying to get a copy of their movies to a second home.
I'm trying to watch 3D movies on my 3D TV. I haven't been able to get any players to work with MKV (MK3D).

I got a Pioneer XS07UHD and it burned and played back no problem!
RoyalNuts

Post by RoyalNuts »

Hello together,
I've a question regarding my BD/UHD Drive. It is an Asus BC-12D2HT from late 2018 that I bought some years ago without knowing about this guide. But a short search showed be it might work with it.
Firmware version is 3.01, so it should be relatively easy to flash.
If I understand everything right I should use the BC-12D2HT_3.11_MK with the SDFtool Flasher.
Bootloader and everything else isn't needed and better avoided.
I would just like to be sure I understand everything correctly before I start and in the worst case brick the drive.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

RoyalNuts wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:15 pm
Hello together,
I've a question regarding my BD/UHD Drive. It is an Asus BC-12D2HT from late 2018 that I bought some years ago without knowing about this guide. But a short search showed be it might work with it.
If I understand everything right I should use the BC-12D2HT_3.11_MK with the SDFtool Flasher.
I would just like to be sure I understand everything correctly before I start and in the worst case brick the drive.
Post your Makemkv info. Most important it should use the MT1959 chip. If MT1939 it is not UHD compatible.
RoyalNuts

Post by RoyalNuts »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:41 pm
RoyalNuts wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:15 pm
Hello together,
Post your Makemkv info. Most important it should use the MT1959 chip. If MT1939 it is not UHD compatible.
Here is the info without the serial number.
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk6
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BC-12D2HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number:-----
Firmware date: 2117-11-15 19:26
Bus encryption flags: 1E
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmwar