Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

Post by Billycar11 »

weust wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm
Just a generic question, are the firmware files specific for use with MakeMKV?
I flashed my LG WH16NS60 and it works fine with MakeMKV, but DVDFab Passkey complains the drive is not usable.

My ASUS BW-16D1HT works fine with both, but it's been so long since I flashed it I just can't remember if I used this forum for it or another one.
Go to 1.00 for dvdfab WH16NS60 is in the de pack
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sapphire wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:01 pm
Hello,

I accidently flashed a Desktop to a Slim Drive. What do I do know? I've been trying to restore it to the way it was before for hours now, but with no success. Can anyone kindly help me please?

My Drive name is LG WH16NS40.
(My original intent was to downgrade my firmware, which was at 1.05 because my Blu-ray drive did not want to read my new Blu-ray discs that I bought at all, but I could easily rip them through Make MKV Software).

Thank you!
Sapphire.
If this is a new(ish) WH16NS40 (SVC: NS50) that came with 1.05, then you can use the recovery option in SDFtool Flasher.

Simply select the incorrect current firmware that is on the drive in the popup, then select the correct firmware to flash to the drive (recommend WH16NS60 1.02-MK).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
weust

Post by weust »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:38 pm
weust wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm
Just a generic question, are the firmware files specific for use with MakeMKV?
I flashed my LG WH16NS60 and it works fine with MakeMKV, but DVDFab Passkey complains the drive is not usable.

My ASUS BW-16D1HT works fine with both, but it's been so long since I flashed it I just can't remember if I used this forum for it or another one.
Go to 1.00 for dvdfab WH16NS60 is in the de pack
Excellent. Thank you very much.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 pm
sapphire wrote:
Hello,

I accidently flashed a Desktop to a Slim Drive. What do I do know? I've been trying to restore it to the way it was before for hours now, but with no success. Can anyone kindly help me please?

(My original intent was to downgrade my firmware, which was at 1.05 because my Blu-ray drive did not want to read my new Blu-ray discs that I bought at all, but I could easily rip them through Make MKV Software).

Thank you!
Sapphire.
If this is a new(ish) WH16NS40 (SVC: NS50) that came with 1.05, then you can use the recovery option in SDFtool Flasher.

Simply select the incorrect current firmware that is on the drive in the popup, then select the correct firmware to flash to the drive (recommend WH16NS60 1.02-MK).
I tried doing that with the SDFtool Flasher by following your steps, with the WH16NS60 1.02-MK Firmware, multiple times, but with no luck. It continues to show me the incorrect Model on the Make MKV Source, and my drive won't open or close.

Any help?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

@sapphire

Did you make a previous firmware dump of your own unit?

If yes, you could try the sdftool command in order to reflash the full (bootloader + main) firmware file

and then, via SDF GUI Flasher (1.33) flash the WH16NS60 1.03 MK firmware file.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sapphire wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:45 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
sapphire wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!
Sapphire.

I tried doing that with the SDFtool Flasher by following your steps, with the WH16NS60 1.02-MK Firmware, multiple times, but with no luck. It continues to show me the incorrect Model on the Make MKV Source, and my drive won't open or close.

Any help?
What slim drive firmware is your drive currently on??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm
@sapphire

Did you make a previous firmware dump of your own unit?

If yes, you could try the sdftool command in order to reflash the full (bootloader + main) firmware file

and then, via SDF GUI Flasher (1.33) flash the WH16NS60 1.03 MK firmware file.
I haven't done that. I downloaded several firmwares from the Forum, and I thought that in the worse case scenario I will be able to reverse it via one of them. I didn't know I flashed to a Slim drive Firmware, I only saw that after I googled the Model of the firmware I flashed to (it wasn't apparent in the name).

My model is the LG WH16NS40, and the firmware that it came with (via Make MKV) is 1.05 (prior to flashing).

What can I do?
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:50 am
sapphire wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Any help?
Attachments
z.PNG
z.PNG (47.37 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sapphire wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:40 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
sapphire wrote:

Any help?
Are you sure you followed the steps correctly?? Make sure there is no disc in the drive and the tray is closed.

1. Using the recovery option in SDFtool Flasher, select BP60NB10 1.02-MK as the current, incorrect firmware in the popup.
2. Now, in the select firmware box, select firmware WH16NS60 1.02-MK.
3. Press START.

It will take a minute to complete. Even if the progress bar reaches 100%, DO NOT do anything until SDFtool Flasher has fully completed and says "Ready".
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:19 am
sapphire wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Are you sure you followed the steps correctly?? Make sure there is no disc in the drive and the tray is closed.

1. Using the recovery option in SDFtool Flasher, select BP60NB10 1.02-MK as the current, incorrect firmware in the popup.
3. Press START.

It will take a minute to complete. Even if the progress bar reaches 100%, DO NOT do anything until SDFtool Flasher has fully completed and says "Ready".
Yes, I did exactly all of those steps you mentioned already, multiple times. I tried it again now and did it a few more times too. It says ready after a few seconds.

Then when I enter Make MKV, it still shows me the incorrect drive.

I also cant open the tray or close it. It always shows me like the tray is open (In Make MKV) even though it's not.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sapphire wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:14 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
sapphire wrote:

3. Press START.

Yes, I did exactly all of those steps you mentioned already, multiple times. I tried it again now and did it a few more times too. It says ready after a few seconds.

I also cant open the tray or close it. It always shows me like the tray is open (In Make MKV) even though it's not.
I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. I have done the same thing a few times (when testing the tool) and it worked every time. Try including the bootloader and see if that helps.

Which BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware did you use? The normal one of the NB12 version?
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 am
sapphire wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

3. Press START.

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. I have done the same thing a few times (when testing the tool) and it worked every time. Try including the bootloader and see if that helps.

Which BP60NB10 1.02-MK firmware did you use? The normal one of the NB12 version?
Done that too, multiple times. Did it again now, still same outcome.
I attached an image and highlighted the firmware I flashed to the first time.
Attachments
z.PNG
z.PNG (78.7 KiB) Viewed 11674 times
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 am
sapphire wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

3. Press START.

It worked now! I can open and close the tray, but it doesn't seem to recognize any Blu-ray Discs I place in it.
What can I do?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

sapphire wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:06 pm
It worked now! I can open and close the tray, but it doesn't seem to recognize any Blu-ray Discs I place in it.
What can I do?
And it will never read any bluray disc again. I've made the same mistake last year trying all firmwares (for testing purposes,
of course) on my LG BH16NS55 unit and after flashed the SLIM firmware, I had the same issues you have experienced.
Furthermore I could hear a strong smell of something overheated coming from the tray unit.

In other words, after recovered the proper firmware, engine part was fried and you can verify it by yourself seeing that
after inserting a bluray disc, engine won't start at all.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

TeddyRaspin wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:20 pm
sapphire wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:06 pm
What can I do?
And it will never read any bluray disc again. I've made the same mistake last year trying all firmwares (for testing purposes,
of course) on my LG BH16NS55 unit and after flashed the SLIM firmware, I had the same issues you have experienced.
Furthermore I could hear a strong smell of something overheated coming from the tray unit.

In other words, after recovered the proper firmware, engine part was fried and you can verify it by yourself seeing that
after inserting a bluray disc, engine won't start at all.
Oh no! So you mean to tell me that after I accidently flashed to a Slim drive, that burned my drive, and this process is irreversible?
Because if so, I don't know what to do. I just bought this drive not too long ago, and that will be $80 gone down the drain, with no way to play/rip my discs :(