Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
illumiscoti

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021

Post by illumiscoti »

Hello all.
I am looking to fix my drive so that it can read UHD discs. I have a Mac mini running Big Sur OS and have not been able to figure it out. I read a ton of threads, so linking them will not help me. I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIKYV53O13158
Firmware date: 2119-05-03 15:10
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

illumiscoti wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am
Hello all.
I am looking to fix my drive so that it can read UHD discs. I have a Mac mini running Big Sur OS and have not been able to figure it out. I read a ton of threads, so linking them will not help me. I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Drive Information
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Serial number: SIKYV53O13158
Firmware date: 2119-05-03 15:10
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
If you have access to a Windows 10 machine, I can help you out.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

illumiscoti wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am
Are you comfortable using Terminal on your Mac? In an unusual twist of fate, this only works via command line on the Mac. On Windows, I think there are GUI tools to do it.

Since your drive is most likely in an external enclosure and connected via USB, you could move it, temporarily, to a different computer; you don't have to flash the firmware on the computer you use the drive on. So, you could 'borrow' a Windows 10 computer to do the flashing there as MartyMcNuts has suggested.

Or, if you want to try via the Terminal on your Mac, I'm willing to help you through it.
Nitaka

Post by Nitaka »

Greetings to all;

I have recently flashed my drive, and I believe I correctly flashed it as I am able to play DVDs/Blu-rays (this is my second time flashing my drive as I ruined my previous drive, rendering said drive completely unusable). However, I still can not get it to rip 4K UHD bluerays, particularly the Lord Of The Rings 4K UHD bluerays.

Below is my current MakeMKV information:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Serial number: SIK99ECKA445
Firmware date: 2117-03-10 16:50

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that I can think of is that firmware 1.02 no longer works?
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Nitaka wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Greetings to all;

I have recently flashed my drive, and I believe I correctly flashed it as I am able to play DVDs/Blu-rays (this is my second time flashing my drive as I ruined my previous drive, rendering said drive completely unusable). However, I still can not get it to rip 4K UHD bluerays, particularly the Lord Of The Rings 4K UHD bluerays.

Below is my current MakeMKV information:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Serial number: SIK99ECKA445
Firmware date: 2117-03-10 16:50

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that I can think of is that firmware 1.02 no longer works?
There will always be 4K discs that one drive will backup and another drive will not. This is why some people buy 2 different drives. I can assure you that the Hitachi LG-BU40N will backup the Game of Thrones 4K Box Set, assuming there is nothing wrong with your discs.

I am happy to supply you a Hitachi LG-BU40N fitted in a Vantec Enclosure.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=19387

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264849119450

Kind Regards

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
IGiveYouAll

Post by IGiveYouAll »

I have a very noob question that I ensure you all I have searched and don't find due to the simple nature of it.

Can LG BU40N be used without enclosure with one of the sata adapters listed on the first post?

If using the Vantec enclosure, do I have to use one of those special microsata cable that have 2 usb cables attached??

If so is one of those cables for power?

Can I just use the Vantec enclosure with a single usb cable without problems on the powering?

Do the LG BU40N read AND WRITE 128GB Sony BD-R (4 layer disc)?

------

Thank you all
psisys

Post by psisys »

Maybe one of the retailers or someone with multiple drives can help me with a question.

Comparing BU40N and NS40/55 and the Asus, I have the understanding most will be noisy, but which is the least? All have a similar price, and I want to use the drive not just to rip but to play Blu-ray. 6x is probably not cutting it for 4K though. But is the noise better on the slim? Thank ye
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

psisys wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Comparing BU40N and NS40/55 and the Asus, I have the understanding most will be noisy, but which is the least? All have a similar price, and I want to use the drive not just to rip but to play Blu-ray. 6x is probably not cutting it for 4K though. But is the noise better on the slim? Thank ye
I have a LG WH16NS60 & an ASUS BW-16D1HT. I do not have a BU40N, so I can't comment about it. My NS60 can be more noisy than the ASUS. It also can read a bit faster than the ASUS. When either drive is reading slower, say 2x, they're both pretty quiet. I've never used either drive to play a blu-ray on my computer.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

psisys wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Maybe one of the retailers or someone with multiple drives can help me with a question.

I highly recommend you get a BU40N it may max out at 6X but it starts at a higher rips speed about 3.6X and maintains higher speeds than the other drives without the speed unlock. In the end stock for stock a BD 66 takes about 45min and a BD 100 takes 1hr 5mins. That's only 3-6 mins slower then a WH16NS60. And see the recent reports of these drives just reading hard to read discs better.
viewtopic.php?p=107495#p107495
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Andyg4000

Post by Andyg4000 »

IGiveYouAll wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:43 pm
I have a very noob question that I ensure you all I have searched and don't find due to the simple nature of it.

Can LG BU40N be used without enclosure with one of the sata adapters listed on the first post?

If using the Vantec enclosure, do I have to use one of those special microsata cable that have 2 usb cables attached??

If so is one of those cables for power?

Can I just use the Vantec enclosure with a single usb cable without problems on the powering?

Do the LG BU40N read AND WRITE 128GB Sony BD-R (4 layer disc)?

------

Thank you all
I can only supply answers on what I have just completed.

I bough a slim LG BU40N.

I have just successfully completed the downgrades to the DE1.0 firmware(my drive was 1.04 and thus encrypted).

I bought a slim SATA cable off eBay and plugged into an adapter for USB that HAS power and the drive works fine. I am actually waiting for he Vantec enclosure.

To answer your USB question, if depends on the USB port, if you have USB 3.0, it should be ok for power.

Also see this:

BDXL™ Support:
Ultimate Capacity
Three Layer BDXL-R/BDXL RE discs offer 100GB
capacity while quad layer BDXL-R discs boast
128GB storage capacity on a single disc.
It is equivalent of 27 standard DVDs or 5 single
layer Blu-ray discs.

HTH
Andy
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

BH16NS55 is very quiet. Cross-flashed to WH16NS60 1.02mk and with speed control enable, this drive/firmware combination can backup a BD66 in 30 - 34 minutes.

I highly recommend the Hitachi BH16NS55. BU40N good drive too, but cannot handle speed control, a little to fragile.

I use both but prefer the BH16NS55 as it is very quiet.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
brownSys

Post by brownSys »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 am
brownSys wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:03 am
I currently have two LG UH12NS40 drives and they seem to work great for most UHD discs but I've found that they just cant seem to handle 3 layer discs. That said I'm looking to buy another drive that can hopefully handle 3 layers. Can anyone recommend a drive that they can confirm has worked with 3 layer discs?

Thanks
BU40N
I see a HLDS BU40N and an LG BU40N on amazon. The HLDS is cheaper. Any idea if the HLDS works? I'm seeing mixed reviews on amazon. Some saying it works fine while others say it wont work for this.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

brownSys wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 am

I see a HLDS BU40N and an LG BU40N on amazon. The HLDS is cheaper. Any idea if the HLDS works? I'm seeing mixed reviews on amazon. Some saying it works fine while others say it wont work for this.
Same thing
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Andyg4000

Post by Andyg4000 »

brownSys wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 am
brownSys wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:03 am
I currently have two LG UH12NS40 drives and they seem to work great for most UHD discs but I've found that they just cant seem to handle 3 layer discs. That said I'm looking to buy another drive that can hopefully handle 3 layers. Can anyone recommend a drive that they can confirm has worked with 3 layer discs?

Thanks
BU40N

I just bought the HLDS BU40N (£85) it went down to £72 and now back up to £85 .. Works absolutely fine, mine was 1.04 December 2020. I used the SDFtool to side grade to 1.04 and then SDFTool to 1.03 and then BH14NSL40 to the DE 1.00

HTH
medikoo

Post by medikoo »

I just bought LG WH16NS60 as replacement Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (which after working quite well got broken and scratched discs!).

And with with LG WH16NS60, quite often (like every 3rd rip) I observe "hash check failed" errors with UHD discs, which on second run do not reproduce in similar way (sometimes very same disc passes again without single issue, and the other time it gets even more errors). Also some discs are not recognized at all (which are scratch free and play perfectly in UHD player).

I didn't observe those issues with MD-8107S-U3-UHD. Now I wonder whether it's specificity of WH16NS60, or do I have a faulty model,or is something else wrong on my side.

I've tried two firmwares 1.03 and 1.02, no difference with both. I'm also using latest version of MakeMkv (1.16.3) - still I think that one is not that relevant to this problem.

I would love to confirm some issues (like disc discoverability) with original firmware, but afaik once I flashed MKV firmware, there's no way back (?)