Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Pan2022 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:46 am
First post here and need help to double check two things. :)

I bought two BP60NB10 external drives. So far I only flashed the first drive to run some sanity testing. Here is what I did:

STEP 1: Backup the firmware.
Note: As the stock firmware is 1.02 (File Name: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BP60NB10_1.02_212107081556.bin) encrypted, so it just created a 71KB dump file.
STEP 2: Using sfdtool-flasher to flash BP60NB10 1.02 from the MK firmware pack (Folder name: mk-firmware-pack-20200720, File: HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin), with the "enc" option checked.
STEP 3: Using sfdtool-flasher to flash BP60NB10 1.00 (File Name: HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720) from the "old" folder in the MK firmware pack (C:\mk-firmware-pack-20200720\MK\old\) with the "enc" option unchecked.
STEP 4: Sanity testing via backup or playback UHD disk.

So far exporting UHD disks to mkv file always working fine. Observed one thing interesting when playing back UHD movie on my PCs directly, the playback stuck for 1 to 2 second for very few times. Because the UHD Movie disks are brand new, also this happened on multiple Windows 10 laptops including the one with powerful CPU and RTX card. I am not sure whether this is due to UHD drive ran out of buffer/cache somewhere as it happened to multiple brand new UHD movie disks. So I have the following two questions need help:

Question#1: Did anyone run into this problem before?

Question#2: Under C:\mk-firmware-pack-20200720\MK\old\, besides HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin, we also have HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.01-NM01801-211905031534.bin, should I use HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.01-NM01801-211905031534 for STEP 3?

Thanks very much in advance!
No, stick with the 1.00 firmware. We generally don't use our drives for direct playback, so hard to comment on your issue. You could try cleaning the discs and see i f that helps, but in general, don't playback the discs, play the MKV file you create.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Pan2022

Post by Pan2022 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:34 am
No, stick with the 1.00 firmware. We generally don't use our drives for direct playback, so hard to comment on your issue. You could try cleaning the discs and see i f that helps, but in general, don't playback the discs, play the MKV file you create.
Thanks very much for help!! Marty

I will flash the second BP60NB10 then run the testing to compare with the first BP60NB10.
BaronBlood

Post by BaronBlood »

Hello everyone :D

Unfortunately I'm pretty hopeless at understanding how to get my HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N
(Revision: 1.03) to play UHD discs despite all the information here.
I tried using the Downgrade Enabled Firmware V2 with no success so far.
Since I get popups I don't understand I'm afraid to click "OK" in fear of bricking my player.
I don't even know whether to choose this; "DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_BU10.bin"
or this; "DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin" to flash.

Would someone like myself would be safer buying a kit?
unfortunately, I can't afford a whole new player at this time.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the info on my drive from MakeMKV;

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: xxxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2119-05-08 11:46
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

The Verbatim 43888 I just received reads UHD Blu-rays out of the box. It was ~€100 on Amazon DE.

It's a rebadged Pioneer of course, "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 1.14 AGDL085887WLd".

Seems exactly the same as the previous two Verbatims I've had, except for the USB-C connector in place of the eSATA one.

The USB-C to USB-A cable the comes with it is very short, so be sure to have an extension cable ready, unless it'll be sitting right under or next to the connector. Mine was millimeters from not being long enough.
machinus

Post by machinus »

I got a BW-16D1HT made on 09/02/2021. The guide gives command line instructions, but also says to only use the GUI-based tool "SDFtool Flasher.exe." Which is better?

Also, is there a reason to use "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01" instead of "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014," or is the latter always better?

What other modifications need to be made to the drive so it can copy discs?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

machinus wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:09 pm
I got a BW-16D1HT made on 09/02/2021. The guide gives command line instructions, but also says to only use the GUI-based tool "SDFtool Flasher.exe." Which is better?

Also, is there a reason to use "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01" instead of "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014," or is the latter always better?

What other modifications need to be made to the drive so it can copy discs?
SDFtool Flasher is just a GUI front-end for the MakeMKV command-line tool. Some people are comfortable w/ a CLI, some not. Your choice.

Trust the guide recommendation:

BW-16D1HT on any Firmware directly to > Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

So pretty confused about which firmware I should be at :)

Have a LG 16NS40.. suggested MK firmware version is 1.02, but the MK download only has 1.05.

The "all you need..." pack only has the 16NS60 1.02 firmware...

Going to be frank (you can be larry if you wish)... Memory is hazy but think a few years ago I either flashed DE or MK firmware, or I got a new LG drive.

I was rip a UHD disk with MakeMKV (maybe not protected, not studio/movie disk), but wanted a full iso so tried DVDFab (what a crappy ui) and it complained (its ripping iso now will see)...

I was able to flash the MK 1.05 firmware, it did change the model name slightly... so that is where I am at now... Do I still need to get to 1.02?

EDIT: OMG I am a dolt... the suggestion was to flash to WH16NS60 1.02MK... Didn't quite expect that... lol
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

Hi. Thank you for the guide.
I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly before flashing my new drive.

The drive is an LG BU40N with the OEM firmware 1.04 2120-05-06 11:42, which according to the guide means it is encrypted.

The guide states to flash:
BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK
I presume that the firmware in the "The all you need firmware pack.zip" named "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin" is the 1.03MK firmware?

A bit further down it states:
LG 1.04+ / BU40N 1.03 / Asus 3.10+ and similar
The newer OEM firmwares cannot be flashed easily due to the additional downgrade checks implemented by the drive/firmware manufacturer. If your drive has one of these firmwares, and there is no MK version of the same firmware/drive model or higher number, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MK [...] (BU40N 1.03MK LG Slim drives ONLY)
As previously stated in this guide. DO NOT crossflash between ASUS and LG firmware for slim drives like the LG BU40N for example. It will brick your drive.
Yet further down in the Linux/Mac instructions it states:
7. to perform the flash, type [...] ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/D5D25996' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash enc -i /tmp/your firmware filename here
if your firmware is on the encrypted list
So if I understand this correctly I can downgrade the encrypted BU30N 1.04 OEM firmware in Linux to BU40N 1.03MK by running the command:

Code: Select all

sudo makemkvcon f -d /dev/sr0 -f ./sdf.bin rawflash enc -i ./HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Is this correct? Or did I misunderstand something along the way, like needing to sidegrade, flashing to 1.04MK or something?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Duffadash wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:47 pm
Hi. Thank you for the guide.
I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly before flashing my new drive.

The drive is an LG BU40N with the OEM firmware 1.04 2120-05-06 11:42, which according to the guide means it is encrypted.

The guide states to flash:
BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK
I presume that the firmware in the "The all you need firmware pack.zip" named "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin" is the 1.03MK firmware?

A bit further down it states:
LG 1.04+ / BU40N 1.03 / Asus 3.10+ and similar
The newer OEM firmwares cannot be flashed easily due to the additional downgrade checks implemented by the drive/firmware manufacturer. If your drive has one of these firmwares, and there is no MK version of the same firmware/drive model or higher number, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MK [...] (BU40N 1.03MK LG Slim drives ONLY)
As previously stated in this guide. DO NOT crossflash between ASUS and LG firmware for slim drives like the LG BU40N for example. It will brick your drive.
Yet further down in the Linux/Mac instructions it states:
7. to perform the flash, type [...] ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/D5D25996' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash enc -i /tmp/your firmware filename here
if your firmware is on the encrypted list
So if I understand this correctly I can downgrade the encrypted BU30N 1.04 OEM firmware in Linux to BU40N 1.03MK by running the command:

Code: Select all

sudo makemkvcon f -d /dev/sr0 -f ./sdf.bin rawflash enc -i ./HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Is this correct? Or did I misunderstand something along the way, like needing to sidegrade, flashing to 1.04MK or something?
that should work
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:53 am
that should work
Thank you. That did indeed work. :-)
rkrkrk

Post by rkrkrk »

Hey folks. Finding it a little harder to do this on Mac OS as there doesn't seem to be as much info online.

I ran the following in the terminal, but it's saying that it's still 1.02 on my Archgon Drive (which is LG BU40N based).

Any ideas?
Attachments
terminal.png
terminal.png (112.53 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

rkrkrk wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:43 pm
Hey folks. Finding it a little harder to do this on Mac OS as there doesn't seem to be as much info online.

I ran the following in the terminal, but it's saying that it's still 1.02 on my Archgon Drive (which is LG BU40N based).

Any ideas?
enc not main and dont use BU10 use 1.03mk
the guide says this all page 1
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
reliablemkvmachine

Post by reliablemkvmachine »

MasterControl wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am
Hi everyone, first post here.

Add another Pioneer to the list - BDR-S13J-X

Works like a charm!
I purchased the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X because of this comment. I can confirm that it works perfectly out of the box. I have previously bought two recommended, reflashed drives from this forum and have had nothing but issues to the point of giving up on backing up my collection.

The S13J-X is virtually silent, has a read rate of around [3.8X] with zero read errors, so about an hour per UHD disc. Certainly worth the money after the debacle of prior attempts.

The extra couple of dollars for a supported solution over the "hacked" solution is worth it. If anyone is in the market for a new drive or their first drive, I cannot recommend this more.
The Pioneer BDR-S13J-X never fails.
Cryen

Post by Cryen »

Hi, I'm about to buy a second hand drive and I'm quite unsure if it will work.
The model in the sticker is MD-8102-U3, not the MD-8107S-U3-UHD [or UHDB] so that's a first red flag, but it reports back to MakeMKV as BD-RE BU40N.
Is it one of the compatible drives? I guess it might not support the 4k UHD Bluray… or does it? seller says it does…
It does have the correct drive platform [MT1959] so that's something…
I'll provide some pictures.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I can't find much info on the Archgon drives, their drive names look really similar and I'm a bit lost.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

reliablemkvmachine wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:33 am
MasterControl wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am
Hi everyone, first post here.

Add another Pioneer to the list - BDR-S13J-X

Works like a charm!
I purchased the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X because of this comment. I can confirm that it works perfectly out of the box. I have previously bought two recommended, reflashed drives from this forum and have had nothing but issues to the point of giving up on backing up my collection.

The S13J-X is virtually silent, has a read rate of around [3.8X] with zero read errors, so about an hour per UHD disc. Certainly worth the money after the debacle of prior attempts.

The extra couple of dollars for a supported solution over the "hacked" solution is worth it. If anyone is in the market for a new drive or their first drive, I cannot recommend this more.
Any Pioneer drive I have tested works perfect. Pioneer Blu-ray drives are the go to drive for many users, including for professional use, to the extent that Pioneer optical drives have become the drives of choice among professionals in business. There are many reasons for this. Pioneer devices have many unique features that take advantage of long cultivated knowledge and technology accumulated in the development of optical drives, as well as being one of the few manufacturers to not only design in house the optical pickup, one of the most important parts in the design of optical drives, but to use in house development and manufacture for the optical drive itself.

Pioneer uses in house development and manufacture for everything. I can remember years ago having the Pioneer Kuro Plasma, which at that time was one of the best Televisions ever made. Pioneer design in house optical pickups through to disc transport mechanisms, control circuitry for these, and even the chassis. This condenses their expertise in optical disc technology going back to the era of the LaserDisc, enabling stable read and write operations. Pioneer Blu-ray drives are renowned for their high writing quality, and are used for storage of historical documents such as those in libraries and museums, examination and treatment data in medical institutions, academic content and research data in educational institutions, and master data at broadcasters & government institutions.

In previous drives, when a read error occurred because of problems such as scratches or fingerprints on music CDs, the section with the error was interpolated and the sound approximated from this. Pioneer Blu-ray drives include PureRead technology, a unique technology for accurately reading data from music CDs. This technology automatically determines the state of discs that have scratches and makes adjustments accordingly to use an optimal read method, thus providing reading of music CDs that is as close as possible to the original.

Different to the predominant tray-type used in slim external USB drives, their unique slot loading mechanism provides ease of use with an ingenious, novel configuration. Additionally, the high-speed stationary type incorporates a disc resonance stabilizer that also calculates airflow when the disc is rotating at high speeds. This mechanism provides more stable writing and the drives are extremely quiet.

When you say over the "hacked solution" I am not sure what you mean and which drives you are talking about?

I can say the BU40N is a brilliant drive and I have never had any complaints about this drive from anyone. The laser pickup in the BU40N is also of high quality and has the advantage of faster reading. However, I do know why you are very impressed with the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X. The Pioneer drives are not cheap but once you invest in their brand, you can be sure you have made a good investment as their optical drives are extremely reliable.

Pioneer drives have been only available from February 2022 this year thanks to Mike Chen and Blackened2687. Before this we were happy with the drives we had to choose from but now that the Pioneer has arrived and now supports MakeMKV, we could say the bar has been raised in terms of standards. If I buy a new 4K movie and it is a BD100. I will always try to back it up with my BU40N first. It makes sense to do this as it is also reliable and is a faster drive at readings 4K Ultra HD, UHD discs. I suppose there is no such a thing as a difficult disc anymore with Pioneer drives.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387