ernnnn

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

Post by ernnnn »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:11 am
ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 am
Hi!

First of all, thank you very much for all the info in this forum. It's beyond expectations.

I have a LG BU40N drive, and I have downgraded it to 1.03 using both the software and firmware file found here. I don't want to rip UHD films, as they are easily found on the internet, and it's easier for me to download than ripping them from my personal collection.

I tried to burn some UHD films on BD-R XL 100GB, using just the first two layers, as I have a Blu-ray drive that accepts them with my TV. The problem is that when it "jumps" from one layer to the other, all the burnt films stop for some seconds, even minutes, skipping a bit of the film. With this new drive, being UHD friendly, I hope it can do the job better than the other.

Any experience with this? Or the firmware downgrade is just for reading, not writing?

Thanks in advance!!
If you still want to burn discs with layer breaks you need a Pioneer drive, good media and burn as slow as possible. Forget about your LG as it is a lousy burner.
Does it really make a difference? Are they very expensive comparing to the LG burners?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:33 am
Coopervid wrote:
ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 am
Hi!

First of all, thank you very much for all the info in this forum. It's beyond expectations.

I have a LG BU40N drive, and I have downgraded it to 1.03 using both the software and firmware file found here. I don't want to rip UHD films, as they are easily found on the internet, and it's easier for me to download than ripping them from my personal collection.

I tried to burn some UHD films on BD-R XL 100GB, using just the first two layers, as I have a Blu-ray drive that accepts them with my TV. The problem is that when it "jumps" from one layer to the other, all the burnt films stop for some seconds, even minutes, skipping a bit of the film. With this new drive, being UHD friendly, I hope it can do the job better than the other.

Any experience with this? Or the firmware downgrade is just for reading, not writing?

Thanks in advance!!
If you still want to burn discs with layer breaks you need a Pioneer drive, good media and burn as slow as possible. Forget about your LG as it is a lousy burner.
Does it really make a difference? Are they very expensive comparing to the LG burners?
It does. Look here:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bd-50gb.80418/page-9

There is WIP to burn even slower at 0.9x to improve the burned result as good as possible.

You can check the seller's pages for buying a Pioneer.

viewforum.php?f=20
ernnnn

Post by ernnnn »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 am
ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:33 am
Coopervid wrote:

It does. Look here:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bd-50gb.80418/page-9

There is WIP to burn even slower at 0.9x to improve the burned result as good as possible.

You can check the seller's pages for buying a Pioneer.

viewforum.php?f=20
Excuse me, what is WIP? I usually use Imgburn to burn the discs. Any other software for better results? Thanks in advance!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

WIP = work in progress. There are certain things that have to be adjusted in Imgburn in conjunction with a Pioneer drive and its utility.

Imgburn is the best software for burning.
ernnnn

Post by ernnnn »

Well, I received the BD-R XL from Japan, and I did the first burning using the LG BU40N previously downgraded to 1.03. To my surprise, it did the burning process softly, on 2x, BUT, it did not mention anything about the layer change when burning. I mean, I'm used to using both 50 and 100GB discs and ImgBurn always mentions when one layer finishes burning and the other one starts, with the buffer going to zero for a moment and recovering again. This time, it didn't say anything. I verified the burning and it was OK. I tried to rip the movie using DVDFab and it could do it. BUT, when trying to play the movie on my living room blu-ray player, it does not recognise the disc. With all my other burners, it could have problems changing from one layer to the next, but it always recognised the discs and played them. So I really don't know what to think...
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You gotta stop that. You are burning money. There are only few players that can read 66GB of a 100GB disc and these discs are really expensive. Most stand-alone players don't read them. At maximum 50GB and then you need to compress the video to < 50GB e.g. with the paid version of CloneBD. In my opinion only playing from HDD has a future.
ernnnn

Post by ernnnn »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:30 pm
You gotta stop that. You are burning money. There are only few players that can read 66GB of a 100GB disc and these discs are really expensive. Most stand-alone players don't read them. At maximum 50GB and then you need to compress the video to < 50GB e.g. with the paid version of CloneBD. In my opinion only playing from HDD has a future.
As I mention before, my player is one of those few players that can read the burnt discs. I have a lot of them and the player reads them perfectly well. The only problem it has is when reading the disc skips some seconds when passing from one layer to the other. I hoped to solve that problem with this new burner, but, unfortunately, now it doesn't even read the discs properly... An I consider that a problem from everything but my stand-alone player...
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

So? If you want your player to read these discs they have to be burned with a sufficient quality. Did you follow that link provided? You need a Pioneer drive for burning if you want to stay on this route.
ernnnn

Post by ernnnn »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 pm
So? If you want your player to read these discs they have to be burned with a sufficient quality. Did you follow that link provided? You need a Pioneer drive for burning if you want to stay on this route.
It looks like... I used to have the internal Pioneer BDR-UD03B drive, but it seems Pioneer has stopped manufacturing internal drives anymore. They have to be external, and much more expensive than they used to be (it was 64,90 € back in 2019). Is there any way to connect a player like this (https://www.alternate.es/Pioneer/BDR-21 ... ct/1599849) to a laptop?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You can purchase a slim drive with enclosure or a full size drive - also with enclosure if needed. Check Asmcom's page for information:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 pm
Coopervid wrote:
It looks like... I used to have the internal Pioneer BDR-UD03B drive, but it seems Pioneer has stopped manufacturing internal drives anymore. They have to be external, and much more expensive than they used to be (it was 64,90 € back in 2019). Is there any way to connect a player like this (https://www.alternate.es/Pioneer/BDR-21 ... ct/1599849) to a laptop?
And why don't you burn with that Pioneer????? That's much better than burning with the LG.Just choose slowest speed.
ernnnn

Post by ernnnn »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:50 pm
ernnnn wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 pm
Coopervid wrote:
And why don't you burn with that Pioneer????? That's much better than burning with the LG.Just choose slowest speed.
Because it died some time ago. God save his memory :lol: :lol:
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:55 pm
You can purchase a slim drive with enclosure or a full size drive - also with enclosure if needed. Check Asmcom's page for information:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Totally agree with you Coopervid. I myself have been burning discs lately with the Pioneer and I am super impressed

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
ziggyspider

Post by ziggyspider »

I'm a Macbook Pro user,

which is the best Enclosure available in USA?

Vantec NexStar
https://www.amazon.com/External-Enclosu ... B09SS74KCN

or

OWC
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Mercury-ext ... CV44&psc=1

I just discover the Pioneer BDR-S13U-X and for that kind of money I need a good enclosure to match with.

my scenario described here: viewtopic.php?p=130199#p130199
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ziggyspider wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 pm
I'm a Macbook Pro user,

which is the best Enclosure available in USA?

Vantec NexStar
https://www.amazon.com/External-Enclosu ... B09SS74KCN

or

OWC
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Mercury-ext ... CV44&psc=1

I just discover the Pioneer BDR-S13U-X and for that kind of money I need a good enclosure to match with.

my scenario described here: viewtopic.php?p=130199#p130199
The Pioneer drive won't fit in the OWC.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com