Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SamuriHL

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022

Post by SamuriHL »

I didn't grab the 212ubk for speed. I grabbed one to check out how well it reads problem discs. The bu40n is my go to tank. Would be nice to have a reliable backup drive. My ns60s are hit and miss.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:04 pm
I didn't grab the 212ubk for speed. I grabbed one to check out how well it reads problem discs. The bu40n is my go to tank. Would be nice to have a reliable backup drive. My ns60s are hit and miss.

FYI, so I did some testing with my BDR-S12UHT.

1. It failed with my Monster Hunter UHD that got a nice big scratch ring from a BU40N. To be fair, I don't expect any drive to be able to read that again!

2. It successfully read my Ghostbusters 2016 UHD that has a few fine scratch marks on it from being read hundreds of times that other drives now sometimes have trouble reading.

I don't really have any other troublesome discs.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I can't test until my drive is supported. But hopefully soon.

abmcconnell

Post by abmcconnell »

Two wee additions for those of you with Mac setup, the instructions that are located at the very beginning of this thread...

Ensure you are logged in as root user or you will get a "file does not exist error" in the last step.

Also, be sure to replace D5D25996 - the drive identifier in the example provided - with the value for the idenfier returned for your system.

Worked like a charm.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:34 am
Is there a recommended Pioneer drive? I've seen the list of working drives in the first post. I think I'm going to order a BDR-212UBK and put it in a OWC Mercury Pro case, but perhaps there's a 'better' Pioneer drive to get?
I now have both of those items in my possession and they don't fit together.
back.jpg
The back of the drive hits against circuit board in OWC Mercury Pro case. When the drive is in this position, the front sticks out.
front.jpg
I could live with the front sticking out, but none of the screw holes line up between the case and the drive.

LG lists the depth of the WH16NS60 as 6.5 inches, which is about 165mm. Pioneer lists the depth of the BDR-212UBK as 180mm. OWC says the Mercury Pro case supports drives with a depth up to 6.77 inches.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:25 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:34 am
Is there a recommended Pioneer drive? I've seen the list of working drives in the first post. I think I'm going to order a BDR-212UBK and put it in a OWC Mercury Pro case, but perhaps there's a 'better' Pioneer drive to get?
I now have both of those items in my possession and they don't fit together.
back.jpg
The back of the drive hits against circuit board in OWC Mercury Pro case. When the drive is in this position, the front sticks out.
front.jpg
I could live with the front sticking out, but none of the screw holes line up between the case and the drive.

LG lists the depth of the WH16NS60 as 6.5 inches, which is about 165mm. Pioneer lists the depth of the BDR-212UBK as 180mm. OWC says the Mercury Pro case supports drives with a depth up to 6.77 inches.
Yep, Pioneer drives are a bit longer and don't fit in the OWC enclosure. I haven't tried but might fit in the Vantec.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 pm
Yep, Pioneer drives are a bit longer and don't fit in the OWC enclosure. I haven't tried but might fit in the Vantec.
I ordered the Vantec NST-536S3-BK, although from the reviews on Amazon, it seems the 'updated version' of the enclosure is a bit of a downgrade in some ways from the older one. In any case, the Vantec website says it'll support drives up to 185mm.
Appl1

Post by Appl1 »

was mach ich falsch?/ what's wrong?

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

Installieren Sie die neueste PowerShell für neue Funktionen und Verbesserungen! https://aka.ms/PSWindows

PS C:\Users\jacob> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV"
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f
makemkvcon64.exe : Die Benennung "makemkvcon64.exe" wurde
nicht als Name eines Cmdlet, einer Funktion, einer Skriptdatei
oder eines ausführbaren Programms erkannt. Überprüfen Sie die
Schreibweise des Namens, oder ob der Pfad korrekt ist (sofern
enthalten), und wiederholen Sie den Vorgang.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (makemkvcon64.ex
e:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: Der Befehl makemkvcon64.exe wurde nicht gefunden. Er ist jedoch am aktuellen Ort vorhanden. Windows PowerShell lädt Befehle nicht standardmäßig vom aktuellen Ort. Wenn Sie diesem Befehl vertrauen, geben Sie stattdessen ".\makemkvcon64.exe" ein. Weitere Informationen erhalten Sie unter "get-help about_Command_Precedence".
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> ".\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes-f F”: rawflash enc -i C:\Users\jacob\Downloads\The all you need firmware pack\The all you need firmware pack\Asus 5.25 BW-16D1HT\ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:37
+ ".\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes-f F”: rawflash enc -i
C:\Users\jacob\ ...
+ ~
Unerwartetes Token ":" in Ausdruck oder Anweisung.
+ CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentConta
insErrorRecordException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f
+ makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggestion [3,General]: Der Befehl makemkvcon64.exe wurde nicht gefunden. Er ist jedoch am aktuellen Ort vorhanden. Windows PowerShell lädt Befehle nicht standardmäßig vom aktuellen Ort. Wenn Sie diesem Befehl vertrauen, geben Sie stattdessen ".\makemkvcon64.exe" ein. Weitere Informationen erhalten Sie unter "get-help about_Command_Precedence".
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f F”: rawflash -i “path to your firmware Example: C:\Users\jacob\Downloads\The all you need firmware pack\The all you need firmware pack\Asus 5.25 BW-16D1HT\ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin
+ makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f F”: rawflash -i “path to
your firmwar ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV>
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f F”: rawflash -i “path to your firmware Example: C:\Users\jacob\Downloads\The all you need firmware pack\The all you need firmware pack\Asus 5.25 BW-16D1HT\ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin
+ makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -f F”: rawflash -i “path to
your firmwar ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV> ".\makemkvcon64.exe f --all-y
es -f F”: rawflash -i “path to your firmware Example: C:\Users\j
acob\Downloads\The all you need firmware pack\The all you need f
irmware pack\Asus 5.25 BW-16D1HT\ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211
901041014.bin
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:47 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
I ordered the Vantec NST-536S3-BK, although from the reviews on Amazon, it seems the 'updated version' of the enclosure is a bit of a downgrade in some ways from the older one. In any case, the Vantec website says it'll support drives up to 185mm.
They use a new USB chipset which has its issues, but none of them are of any concerns anymore. The biggest one was incompatibility with vendor commands used for flashing, but this has been solved on a software level.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

dcoke22 wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
There is a new model Vantec 5.25" which I will post pictures of in a few days.

Thank you Mike for remote help and supporting this new enclosure. A big thank you to Billycarr as well.

I am really pleased with the performance of the new enclosure and it also looks very good.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387&p=73484#p73484

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Last edited by asmcom on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:46 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
They use a new USB chipset which has its issues, but none of them are of any concerns anymore. The biggest one was incompatibility with vendor commands used for flashing, but this has been solved on a software level.
Yes Mike thank you for your help with vendor commands. I have just received 2nd sample with some other upgrades I requested and I am really happy with the new enclosure, upgraded PCB and new upgraded Power Supply.

Very similar in performance to the OWC. Picture Link below

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387&p=73484#p73484
Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
chrytek

Post by chrytek »

I am looking for the most user friendly option. From reading the main post it seems I should go with a pioneer drive.

Some users have reported buying the internal drives and putting them inside of OWC Mercury Pros. Is this preferred to just buy the external slim drives in the list?

Can some recommend the easier approach here?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

chrytek wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:21 pm
I am looking for the most user friendly option. From reading the main post it seems I should go with a pioneer drive.

Some users have reported buying the internal drives and putting them inside of OWC Mercury Pros. Is this preferred to just buy the external slim drives in the list?

Pioneer drives do not fit the OWC enclosure. They only fit in the Vantec.
chrytek

Post by chrytek »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:59 pm
chrytek wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:21 pm

Any suggestions on what I should buy?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

chrytek wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:37 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:59 pm

Any suggestions on what I should buy?
just get the vantec as marty recommends i have the same advice if you want a desktop drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com