NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vseven

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by vseven »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:06 am
I assume this drive is the same as the BP50NB40?? If so, you should be able to make it UHD capable by cross-flashing to BP60NB10 1.00 MK firmware. If you decide to try it, I suggest you use the SDFtool Flasher to do so.
Not positive, it's a slim drive that came in a LG USB enclosure, I've only seen it as WN50NB40. But I figured why not try and using the SDFtool Flasher along with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin and I now have this:

Code: Select all

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 60

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Does that mean I should be able to rip UHD now?
shaferandrew

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by shaferandrew »

Hi all,

I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice in here. I bought a WH14NS40 from Amazon this week and it arrived today with a mfg date of July 2020 and the 1.05 firmware. I used the SDFtool to flash it to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061444.bin (checking enc?). I then rebooted and used the tool to flash it to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin (in the "old" directory, also had to check enc? to flash correctly). I rebooted. It now reports itself as a WH16NS60 in Windows/MakeMKV/etc. I have successfully used it to rip Blu-rays. I do not have a UHD disc to check that functionality but I assume that should work (because of the 1.02 firmware?).

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

vseven wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:45 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:06 am
I assume this drive is the same as the BP50NB40?? If so, you should be able to make it UHD capable by cross-flashing to BP60NB10 1.00 MK firmware. If you decide to try it, I suggest you use the SDFtool Flasher to do so.
Not positive, it's a slim drive that came in a LG USB enclosure, I've only seen it as WN50NB40. But I figured why not try and using the SDFtool Flasher along with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin and I now have this:

Code: Select all

Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Highest AACS version: 60

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Does that mean I should be able to rip UHD now?
Don't know about firmware 1.02. I normally flash BP60NB10_1.00-MK.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

shaferandrew wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:44 pm
Hi all,

I wanted to thank everyone for their great advice in here. I bought a WH14NS40 from Amazon this week and it arrived today with a mfg date of July 2020 and the 1.05 firmware. I used the SDFtool to flash it to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061444.bin (checking enc?). I then rebooted and used the tool to flash it to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin (in the "old" directory, also had to check enc? to flash correctly). I rebooted. It now reports itself as a WH16NS60 in Windows/MakeMKV/etc. I have successfully used it to rip Blu-rays. I do not have a UHD disc to check that functionality but I assume that should work (because of the 1.02 firmware?).

Thanks!
UHD should work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
vseven

Post by vseven »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:49 am
Don't know about firmware 1.02. I normally flash BP60NB10_1.00-MK.
Yeah, I re-read the first post and had some trouble flashing it to anything else but eventually got it to take that firmware. I'll test it with a UHD when I find one but with that said I have one of the "friendly" drives already on order (I needed a second anyway).
Fuckman4

Post by Fuckman4 »

Many thanks for this post’s everything!
I have an HP BU40N.
It can neither rip a UHD disc (because DVDFab and DeUHD don’t support HP version’s FW until now) nor play UHD discs via PowerDVD (because PowerDVD doesn’t support it either).
After I flashed it into LG BU40N original FW by this post’s stuff, both playing and ripping work now!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Fuckman4 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:30 pm
Many thanks for this post’s everything!
I have an HP BU40N.
It can neither rip a UHD disc (because DVDFab and DeUHD don’t support HP version’s FW until now) nor play UHD discs via PowerDVD (because PowerDVD doesn’t support it either).
After I flashed it into LG BU40N original FW by this post’s stuff, both playing and ripping work now!
Awesome!!
agent47

Post by agent47 »

Hi All

I've acquired a very old ASUS Bluray external USB drive - a SBC-06D1S-U working absolutely fine for backing up blurays on my windows 10 machine - but since i'm new to all this i'm wondering if i can take it to the next level by backing up UHD blurays. I came across this thread about flashing firmware - however it doesn't appear that firmware is available to download for my external drive on the ASUS website. I'm wondering if anyone could help guide me through the process in this case? Or of course advise whether I can't rip UHD's with this drive!

Regards
Agent47
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Load MakeMKV and let it tell you if flashing is possible.

The -U drives, though, are probably NOT going to support BD XL, so they aren't going to be UHD-friendly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rob18014

Post by rob18014 »

(Just bought the Blu Ray burner) I just want to thank everyone who worked on the CFW, and the flasher. I did the latest update on Asus site 3.10 for the Asus BW-16DHT then flashed 3.10 CFW.. Then 3.01 to 3.02.. It was simple and easy and I'm ripping UHD discs as I type. :D Thanks again, Rob
agent47

Post by agent47 »

Thanks for the reply

Have loaded up makemkv and I can't see where it says it's flashing is possible so I'm going to assume it isn't possible. It doesn't even give a firmware version of the drive so guessing it might not even have firmware.
agent47

Post by agent47 »

rob18014 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:00 pm
(Just bought the Blu Ray burner) I just want to thank everyone who worked on the CFW, and the flasher. I did the latest update on Asus site 3.10 for the Asus BW-16DHT then flashed 3.10 CFW.. Then 3.01 to 3.02.. It was simple and easy and I'm ripping UHD discs as I type. :D Thanks again, Rob
hiya - looks like i'm in the market for one too - it's the internal ASUS BW-16D1HT you bought?
rob18014

Post by rob18014 »

Yes it is.. Got ya jong! :D
Last edited by rob18014 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Or you could support the community by buying from one of the sellers found here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20 we've sales professionals that cover every square inch of the globe :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
taztheman

Post by taztheman »

This forum is awesome and I've learned so much but I have an issue I cannot seem to find. I have a WH16NS40 that is brand new from Amazon with 1.05 on it. Tried the LG flasher. Checksum error. Tried the ASUS flasher, error #5. After reading positive results I tried the SDF flasher with the MK version of my firmware no luck. Then tried the SDF flasher with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061440 and also no luck. I made sure to check the "enc?" option. I get "command produced error code 0x8f05c103". I have the 5.25" drive in a OWC Mercury Pro external enclosure. Anybody have any advice for me. I feel like I have tried about every option on these forums (but I'm sure I've missed something). The drive works fine without UHD but I have a ton of UHD discs.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: KLJK8HI1041
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 14:40
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)