NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

metaleggman wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:15 pm

If you have used the SDFtool Flasher, did you read the thread?? The HBD firmware were made obsolete once the SDFtool Flasher became available. I have flashed plenty of WP50NB40 drives for UHD ripping. It is exactly the same process as the BP50NB40.

1. Flash drive to WP50NB40 1.03-MK.
2. Flash the drive to BP60NB10 1.00-MK
3. Enjoy ripping UHD discs.

Since you have already flashed the drive to the HBD firmware, I suggest trying step 2 above. If it won't flash, use the recovery option to get back to WP50NB40 1.03-MK firmware, then start again from step 1.
Yes haha, I did read the thread, but I was playing around and tried the HBD firmware because the BP60NB10 firmware didn't work. I just recovered to get back to the WP50NB40 1.03-MK firmware, but even then, when flashing to the BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware, it still can't read my UHD discs in MakeMKV :oops: Before I flashed anything, I made sure to dump the oem firmware it came with. Should I attempt to recover to or flash that firmware and perhaps attempt to start over clean? Regular BDMVs are read just fine by MakeMKV. Is it possible my drive is compatible with the WP50NB40-NB50 1.03-MK firmware to unlock LibreDrive, but not able to read UHD movies? Is there any way to tell the drive has been flashed correctly, like a change in the Drive Information in MakeMKV? When I originally flashed 1.03-MK, it showed that LibreDrive had been fully enabled, but when flashing any other firmware after that, everything seems to stay the same.

To be clear, after flashing to the BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware, and upon inserting a UHD disc (in this case Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), the drive will make some seeking noises for about two minutes, and then MakeMKV will say there's no disc in the drive.

The SDFtool Flasher seems fairly well made and easy to use, hence why I'm wondering if my drive seemingly can't be made to read UHD discs, mine specifically I suppose. Especially since your instructions in the threads are fairly straightforward.
The BP50NB40 and WP50NB40 MK firmware unlocks LibreDrive but the firmware still does not allow UHD ripping. This is why the BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware is used. I really don't see how the firmware "didn't work." It either flashed successfully or it didn't. Your issue is hard to diagnose as you really need to try multiple UHD discs first. No one drive will read every UHD disc. Some drives just don't like certain discs and refuse to read them, thus the reason why a large portion of people have 2+ drives. It could also be a case of your UHD disc being bad. Try cleaning the disc before trying to read it again and see how that goes.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
isu4me

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by isu4me »

I too seem to be having the same issue with the LG BP50NB40 slim drive. I was able to use the new flash (SDFtool Flasher v1.2.3) to flash to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin from the MK firmware pack 20200720.zip. This did seem to enable the libreDrive (as you can see below). I then flash to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin from same MK firmware pack. This all goes fine (according to the tool) as it completes and says ready. However the firmware does not "downgrade". Below is what MakeMKV shows when selecting the drive and the drive will not read UHD disks. It is not identified as BP60NB10, and the firmware level still shows 1.0.3. Again, the tool shows no errors when flashing and says it completed (shows "successfully done, please wait", then back to "ready"). Any direction would be most helpful.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:17
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

isu4me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:21 am
I too seem to be having the same issue with the LG BP50NB40 slim drive. I was able to use the new flash (SDFtool Flasher v1.2.3) to flash to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin from the MK firmware pack 20200720.zip. This did seem to enable the libreDrive (as you can see below). I then flash to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin from same MK firmware pack. This all goes fine (according to the tool) as it completes and says ready. However the firmware does not "downgrade". Below is what MakeMKV shows when selecting the drive and the drive will not read UHD disks. It is not identified as BP60NB10, and the firmware level still shows 1.0.3. Again, the tool shows no errors when flashing and says it completed (shows "successfully done, please wait", then back to "ready"). Any direction would be most helpful.

Drive Information
Serial number:

LibreDrive Information
I flashed one of these the other day and it worked just fine for me. Try the old version of SDFtool Flasher and see if that makes a difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
isu4me

Post by isu4me »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:41 am
isu4me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:21 am

Drive Information
Serial number:

LibreDrive Information
I flashed one of these the other day and it worked just fine for me. Try the old version of SDFtool Flasher and see if that makes a difference.
Still a no go. Using the SDFtool Flasher v1.2.0 I get same results. It all runs correctly, no errors and completes, but the firmware doesn't update. Still showing the same results as above. I don't know if this makes any difference, but the drive is has svc code of NB52. Doesn't seem that anything I do will allow it to be flashed to anything lower then the latest 1.03.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

isu4me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:52 pm
Still a no go. Using the SDFtool Flasher v1.2.0 I get same results. It all runs correctly, no errors and completes, but the firmware doesn't update. Still showing the same results as above. I don't know if this makes any difference, but the drive is has svc code of NB52. Doesn't seem that anything I do will allow it to be flashed to anything lower then the latest 1.03.
Never seen or heard of NB52. Perhpas that is a new version that is blocking the cross-flash somehow. What is the manufacture date of the drive?
isu4me

Post by isu4me »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 am
isu4me wrote:
Never seen or heard of NB52. Perhpas that is a new version that is blocking the cross-flash somehow. What is the manufacture date of the drive?
According to label on the drive:
Model BP50NB40
SVC CODE: NB52
manufacturing date of August 26th 2021
ROM VER: 1.03

Before I did anything with flashing the drive, i did start up MakeMKV and it did dump the firmware. I didn't give it much thought (hadn't seen or noticed it before), but with the issue here I did get it sent in to the support@makemkv.com earlier today. This does lead to support that this may be a new version of the firmware.

Hope this information is helpful for you. Let me know if there's any other information you would like, and thanks for any input and assistance. It's very much appreciated and hope that it helps the community as well.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

isu4me wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:03 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 am
isu4me wrote:
According to label on the drive:
Model BP50NB40
SVC CODE: NB52
manufacturing date of August 26th 2021
ROM VER: 1.03

Before I did anything with flashing the drive, i did start up MakeMKV and it did dump the firmware. I didn't give it much thought (hadn't seen or noticed it before), but with the issue here I did get it sent in to the support@makemkv.com earlier today. This does lead to support that this may be a new version of the firmware.

Hope this information is helpful for you. Let me know if there's any other information you would like, and thanks for any input and assistance. It's very much appreciated and hope that it helps the community as well.
Yeah, it sure seems that way. Hopefully Mike can sort out any firmware issues reasonably quickly for you.
Beleg

Post by Beleg »

I'm experiencing the same thing with an NB52 WP50NB40, build date Aug 17, 2021.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Beleg wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:18 am
I'm experiencing the same thing with an NB52 WP50NB40, build date Aug 17, 2021.
You might need to wait a bit and hopefully we get a resolution or if you are in a hurry for UHD, return it and get something else.
gmandres

Post by gmandres »

I also have the SVC: NB52 version of the BP50NB40 drive.
Has anyone been able to cross-flash this to provide UHD ripping?

Thanks,

G
daaadou

Post by daaadou »

Hello All,

I own a couple (60 70) UHD disk and barely 1000 BR disks so I was looking for a solution to get them backed up. I am extremely weary about the BD rot issues and so on.
So I decided a few days ago to do something about it.
At this time, I don't plan to play them this way, I will still use my UB9000. This is purely to back up. Not sure about ISO or MKV at this time. MKV will probably my option for movies with no bonuses. I've quite a lot of these one so if it require less space, good option.

Reading the tutorial here, I got myself an ASUS BW-16D1HT and flashed it smoothly following your instructions.
Got unlucky since I tried Matrix Reloaded as first UHD disk to see if it was working, didn't work so I got a bit oO' then I tried Apollo 11 and YES, it recognized it as a movie disk.

So my question is, I read on this very page that some disks will work, some don't, any clue what could be a second drive to cover all my needs?

Second of all, a bit off subject, I am going to get myself some Seagate EXOS 16TB to copy all the uncompressed files for back up, good option? They are at about 250€ at this time, seems tempting. Any better value out there? I am in Paris so...
tonyprzit

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by tonyprzit »

Hi I downloaded the SDFtool and the (Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack (20.07.2020) but i get an error 0x8f52603
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm
Just made a couple of minor code adjustments. Links have been updated.

It works good for me! Please add a comment to let me know how it works for you or if you have any issues with it.

Thanks guys..
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

tonyprzit wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:30 am
Hi I downloaded the SDFtool and the (Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack (20.07.2020) but i get an error 0x8f52603
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm
Just made a couple of minor code adjustments. Links have been updated.

It works good for me! Please add a comment to let me know how it works for you or if you have any issues with it.

Thanks guys..
This is really helpful....NOT!!!!

If you would like some assistance, please provide some relevant information. Let's start with:
  • What drive are you trying to flash?
  • What firmware is on said drive?
  • What firmware are you trying to flash?
  • How is the drive connected to your PC?
moadib

Post by moadib »

I just wanted to say I successfully flashed a LG slim USB blu ray drive BP50NB40 SVC NB50 with FW 1.02 (March 2020 manufactured date) with DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin

Now it is a UHD "friendly" drive and able to rip 4k discs. 8)

I'll post my steps:

1- Use SDFtool Flasher and flash MK HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin
2- Downgraded to MK HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.01-NM00200-211711231615.bin
3- Flashed Hybrid firmware DE_LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD.bin
4- Finally flashed the DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin

Thanks for all the hard work guys =)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

moadib wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 am
I just wanted to say I successfully flashed a LG slim USB blu ray drive BP50NB40 SVC NB50 with FW 1.02 (March 2020 manufactured date) with DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin

Now it is a UHD "friendly" drive and able to rip 4k discs. 8)

I'll post my steps:

1- Use SDFtool Flasher and flash MK HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin
2- Downgraded to MK HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.01-NM00200-211711231615.bin
3- Flashed Hybrid firmware DE_LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD.bin
4- Finally flashed the DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin

Thanks for all the hard work guys =)
This method (and the HBD firmware) has been obsolete for about 18 months. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS METHOD OR THE HBD FIRMWARE!!!

As per the first post, use the newer SDFtool Flasher. When using the SDFtool Flasher, there is no need for the hybrid firmware. You can flash directly to BP50NB40 firmware to enable LibreDrive, then cross-flash to BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware if you also want UHD ripping.