NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
EliteChickenDev89

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by EliteChickenDev89 »

EDIT: Just saw some earlier posts in this thread that were in a similar situation, and the questions I had in mind were answered. Sorry for the spam.

Hello,

Recently bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT which was manufactured January 2021. Here are the details from MakeMkv:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLEL1J92019
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted
Since it's manufactured after 2015, and it has a MT1959, I should be good to do a sidegrade flash? From what I've understood I can use the modded ASUS flasher to flash ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin, after that I can downgrade if I wish?

Along with this, how does one understand if the firmware is encrypted or not? Would the SDFtool complain during a dump that I need to tick the "enc" box?
Last edited by EliteChickenDev89 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancient

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by ancient »

Quick question guys

I see the 1st post states the LG BP60NB10 can only go to MK firmware (using the Asus Flasher) ?

Just to confirm, is there no DE firmware available for it...that will make it work with MakeMKV/ other software?

Thanks.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ancient wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:07 pm
Quick question guys

I see the 1st post states the LG BP60NB10 can only go to MK firmware (using the Asus Flasher) ?

Just to confirm, is there no DE firmware available for it...that will make it work with MakeMKV/ other software?

Thanks.
MK firmware only if you want UHD ripping ability. Also, don't use this flasher. Use the more recent SDFtool Flasher. I really need to update this thread.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ancient

Post by ancient »

Ah ok thanks for the heads up Marty ;)
FlyingCacti

Post by FlyingCacti »

Hi Everybody,

I've just been having trouble with a UHD drive of mine. It is the Buffalo-PU3 but its got BU13 Firmware on it instead of the BU12 or BU10 variant. Wondering if I could give some input for a new crack on the firmware.

Much appreciated, FlyingCacti
deerewright

Post by deerewright »

I have an ASUS BW12B1ST drive with 1.03 firmware.

Is it possible to flash this drive with UHD friendly firmware? I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=17834, which seems to say it is possible. I have tried both the Asus (Modified) flasher, and the new SDFtool. I cannot get the SDFtool to do anything. If I try the firmware dump, it just creates the folder, with no dump info in the folder. If I try to flash, it does nothing, not even an error message.

I then tried the ASUS flasher to flash ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02_OFFICIAL_(BYTE_PATCHED).bin. When I click on start, the tray opens, but nothing else happens. It just appears to hang. Again, no errors. After about 30 mins, I gave up and exited "X" the app. The drive still shows the original 1.03 firmware, and operates normally.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

FlyingCacti wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 am
Hi Everybody,

I've just been having trouble with a UHD drive of mine. It is the Buffalo-PU3 but its got BU13 Firmware on it instead of the BU12 or BU10 variant. Wondering if I could give some input for a new crack on the firmware.

You should be able to flash BU40N 1.03-MK on it. You could leave it there or flash again with BU10.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

deerewright wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:52 pm
I have an ASUS BW12B1ST drive with 1.03 firmware.

Is it possible to flash this drive with UHD friendly firmware? I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=17834, which seems to say it is possible. I have tried both the Asus (Modified) flasher, and the new SDFtool. I cannot get the SDFtool to do anything. If I try the firmware dump, it just creates the folder, with no dump info in the folder. If I try to flash, it does nothing, not even an error message.

I then tried the ASUS flasher to flash ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02_OFFICIAL_(BYTE_PATCHED).bin. When I click on start, the tray opens, but nothing else happens. It just appears to hang. Again, no errors. After about 30 mins, I gave up and exited "X" the app. The drive still shows the original 1.03 firmware, and operates normally.
No, not with 1.xx firmware. The drive is too old. The flashable ASUS drives have 3.xx firmware.
deerewright

Post by deerewright »

Thanks

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

FlyingCacti

Post by FlyingCacti »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:08 pm
FlyingCacti wrote:
Hi Everybody,

You should be able to flash BU40N 1.03-MK on it. You could leave it there or flash again with BU10.
I still seem to be getting 'error 5' or '0x8f056103' errors when attempting to flash the firmware. Failure causes the drive to open on the asus(modified) flasher. I used a multitude of MK BU12 1.03 versions and BU10 versions but they don't work. Wondering if a new BU13 1.03 version could work in the future possibly?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

FlyingCacti wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:35 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:08 pm
FlyingCacti wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I still seem to be getting 'error 5' or '0x8f056103' errors when attempting to flash the firmware. Failure causes the drive to open on the asus(modified) flasher. I used a multitude of MK BU12 1.03 versions and BU10 versions but they don't work. Wondering if a new BU13 1.03 version could work in the future possibly?
If you would follow my guide this would not be an issue that is a BU40N flash it to BU40N 1.03mk with enc then it will work there is already a thread on this
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
metaleggman

Post by metaleggman »

Has anyone successfully cross-flashed the WP50NB40 to have it rip UHDs? I successfully used the 1.03 MK firmware to unlock unencrypted firmwares and LibreDrive features using the SDFtool. I've heard on here that the WP50NB40 is just a different sku for the BP50NB40, however, when cross-flashed to the appropriate HBD firmware and the BP60NB10 MK firmware, it will not read either UHD disk I've tried (Detective Pikachu and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). Actual BDMV reading stays intact through MakeMKV. It's odd mainly because it does support BD-XL reading and writing, so theoretically, there should be nothing stopping it from reading a UHD BD disc in MakeMKV with the right firmware, correct?

Granted, if I can't rip UHDs, I'm not out much since most of my UHDs are "easily available" films, if you catch my drift, and I just needed something quick to rip an out of region disc for my mother. But, it's worth trying for the heck of it.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

metaleggman wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:14 am
Has anyone successfully cross-flashed the WP50NB40 to have it rip UHDs? I successfully used the 1.03 MK firmware to unlock unencrypted firmwares and LibreDrive features using the SDFtool. I've heard on here that the WP50NB40 is just a different sku for the BP50NB40, however, when cross-flashed to the appropriate HBD firmware and the BP60NB10 MK firmware, it will not read either UHD disk I've tried (Detective Pikachu and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). Actual BDMV reading stays intact through MakeMKV. It's odd mainly because it does support BD-XL reading and writing, so theoretically, there should be nothing stopping it from reading a UHD BD disc in MakeMKV with the right firmware, correct?

Granted, if I can't rip UHDs, I'm not out much since most of my UHDs are "easily available" films, if you catch my drift, and I just needed something quick to rip an out of region disc for my mother. But, it's worth trying for the heck of it.
If you have used the SDFtool Flasher, did you read the thread?? The HBD firmware were made obsolete once the SDFtool Flasher became available. I have flashed plenty of WP50NB40 drives for UHD ripping. It is exactly the same process as the BP50NB40.

1. Flash drive to WP50NB40 1.03-MK.
2. Flash the drive to BP60NB10 1.00-MK
3. Enjoy ripping UHD discs.

Since you have already flashed the drive to the HBD firmware, I suggest trying step 2 above. If it won't flash, use the recovery option to get back to WP50NB40 1.03-MK firmware, then start again from step 1.
metaleggman

Post by metaleggman »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:15 pm

If you have used the SDFtool Flasher, did you read the thread?? The HBD firmware were made obsolete once the SDFtool Flasher became available. I have flashed plenty of WP50NB40 drives for UHD ripping. It is exactly the same process as the BP50NB40.

1. Flash drive to WP50NB40 1.03-MK.
2. Flash the drive to BP60NB10 1.00-MK
3. Enjoy ripping UHD discs.

Since you have already flashed the drive to the HBD firmware, I suggest trying step 2 above. If it won't flash, use the recovery option to get back to WP50NB40 1.03-MK firmware, then start again from step 1.
Yes haha, I did read the thread, but I was playing around and tried the HBD firmware because the BP60NB10 firmware didn't work. I just recovered to get back to the WP50NB40 1.03-MK firmware, but even then, when flashing to the BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware, it still can't read my UHD discs in MakeMKV :oops: Before I flashed anything, I made sure to dump the oem firmware it came with. Should I attempt to recover to or flash that firmware and perhaps attempt to start over clean? Regular BDMVs are read just fine by MakeMKV. Is it possible my drive is compatible with the WP50NB40-NB50 1.03-MK firmware to unlock LibreDrive, but not able to read UHD movies? Is there any way to tell the drive has been flashed correctly, like a change in the Drive Information in MakeMKV? When I originally flashed 1.03-MK, it showed that LibreDrive had been fully enabled, but when flashing any other firmware after that, everything seems to stay the same.

To be clear, after flashing to the BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware, and upon inserting a UHD disc (in this case Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), the drive will make some seeking noises for about two minutes, and then MakeMKV will say there's no disc in the drive.

The SDFtool Flasher seems fairly well made and easy to use, hence why I'm wondering if my drive seemingly can't be made to read UHD discs, mine specifically I suppose. Especially since your instructions in the threads are fairly straightforward.