BP50NB40 vs BP60NB10

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vjunkie

BP50NB40 vs BP60NB10

Post by vjunkie » Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:16 am

Hey guys,

I have the BP50NB40 I bought from Best Buys years ago, and flashed it myself. I have ripped alot of 4k disc's with it, only a very few spit out errors, most of the time it's overlapping frame, out of sync audio errors. Even tho they display these errors, the movies usually turn out fine and I don't notice any "out of sync" when actors speak etc...

But my drive is listed as "Officalish" while the BP60NB10 is listed as "Offical". And of course Best Buy now cary's the BP60NB10 in store as apposed to the BP50... Just wondering if it's worth upgrading to it? They are the same speed, just seeing if by upgrading I would get less of those audio skew out of sync messages? It tends to only happen on disc's with DV. 4k disc's with just hdr10 rip without a single error.

I have a friend who is an employee there and he said the drive is $65 + tax with his discount. I believe their discount is 10% above cost, which would make sense, as most big retail chains try to buy in large bulk in order to sell at a 40-50% mark-up.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
-V

ryley

Re: BP50NB40 vs BP60NB10

Post by ryley » Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:26 am

Any warning messages or errors you receive about overlapping frames or audio sync issues are independent of the drive. Those messages are due to the mastering of the disc itself and how well MakeMKV can process the content. Remember, almost all of the content on an AACS protected disc is encrypted and extensively checksummed/hashed. If there were an issue with the data returned by your drive, MakeMKV is very good about recognizing legitimate read errors.

Personally, I haven't noticed a meaningful performance difference between my BP50NB40 and my BP60NB10. They can both read every BD/UHD disc I own.