Help with finding a drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Roselei

Help with finding a drive

Post by Roselei » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:15 am

I'm definitely new to this and all the terminology is pretty confusing. If someone could recommend a drive with the following specifications that would be helpful

- able to be flashed
- can read /write blu-ray, 4K
- internal and slim (to fit in my HP elitedesk 800 g4 SFF)

dcoke22

Re: Help with finding a drive

Post by dcoke22 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:39 am

Some of those requirements are mutually exclusive. If you really want to burn multilayer discs, I think a Pioneer drive is the only game in town. If you only want to burn single layer discs, then other drives will also work. But do you really, really want to burn any optical discs?

Generally speaking, Pioneer drives can't be flashed. Pioneer firmware update February 2023 A recent Pioneer firmware update made their drives incompatible with LibreDrive which is necessary to rip 4K UHDs. Drives with older firmware still work well, probably the best, for ripping (& burning), but once the drive has the new firmware, you can't go backwards. A seller in your region can still sell you a Pioneer that will work, however.

Needing it to be slim cuts down your options quite a bit. Lots of folks end up with full sized 'internal' drives in an external enclosure connected via USB.

If you want a slim drive that can be flashed, something like a LG BU40N could work. Pioneer has some slim drives as well.

Billycar11 recently made a post about drive quality rankings: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154264#p154264

And as always, there's the Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide.

MartyMcNuts

Re: Help with finding a drive

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:52 am

Roselei wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:15 am
I'm definitely new to this and all the terminology is pretty confusing. If someone could recommend a drive with the following specifications that would be helpful

- able to be flashed
- can read /write blu-ray, 4K
- internal and slim (to fit in my HP elitedesk 800 g4 SFF)
Only the bare BU40N drive meets all of your requirements. Be mindful, there are 2 height sizes of internal slim drives, 9.5mm and 12.5mm. The BU40N is 9.5mm. There are no UHD compatible 12.5mm drives.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com