Brand new Asus BW-16D1HT won't open

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Commonaught

Brand new Asus BW-16D1HT won't open

Post by Commonaught » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 pm

I just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT. I connected it to my laptop using a SATA to USB adapter I also just got.

When I plug it in Windows 10 sees it as a drive and the blue light on the front flashes.

When I press but open button on the front it buzzes for a very short time and the blue light flashes faster but the door does not open. Same deal when I try to eject via File Explorer.

I haven't used the SATA to USB adapter before so I don't know for sure if it works, but since Windows recognizes the drive I assume it does.
I have tried on two different computers so I don't think it's the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on or should I warranty this?

Billycar11

Re: Brand new Asus BW-16D1HT won't open

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:41 am

Commonaught wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 pm
I just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT. I connected it to my laptop using a SATA to USB adapter I also just got.

When I plug it in Windows 10 sees it as a drive and the blue light on the front flashes.

When I press but open button on the front it buzzes for a very short time and the blue light flashes faster but the door does not open. Same deal when I try to eject via File Explorer.

I haven't used the SATA to USB adapter before so I don't know for sure if it works, but since Windows recognizes the drive I assume it does.

your adapter is junk get one from my list that is known to work with optical drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:51 am

Commonaught wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 pm

The SATA/USB adapter must have it's own power source for use with optical drives. USB alone does not provide enough power.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com

Commonaught

Post by Commonaught » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:34 am

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:41 am

your adapter is junk get one from my list that is known to work with optical drives
I think I can exchange the BW-16D1HT for the BW-16D1X-U (the external version of the same thing) but I see that it's not on your list of UHD drives. Is that a bad idea?

Thank you for your time.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 pm

Commonaught wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:34 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:41 am

I think I can exchange the BW-16D1HT for the BW-16D1X-U (the external version of the same thing) but I see that it's not on your list of UHD drives. Is that a bad idea?

Thank you for your time.
Bad idea you may not get one that does uhd
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831

Koolbite

Post by Koolbite » Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:48 pm

Hello,

I tried to flash a new firmware for my BW-16D1X-U optical drive to burn Blu Ray on my laptop using SDFtool flasher. Now my asus BW-16D1X-U is detected as another drive : HL-DT-ST BD-RE_BU40N

and i can't resinstall the BW-16D1X-U's drivers or firmware (not sure what the difference is between the 2 tbh, me not being a geek) to get it back as the detected optical drive. I get a "FW udpating is closing" message while trying to reinstall the drivers. meanwhile i can't use the optical drive anymore. It won't even eject. No reaction.. I just get a sound signal while plugging it to the laptop (Using windows 11). And when i manually open the tray (using a straightened paper clip ) and put a cd inside nothing happens either...

How can i reset everything to get the original firmware back. SDFtool flasher also created a dump folder with the asus firmware but i don't know if i can get anything from it ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:04 pm

Koolbite wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:48 pm
Hello,

I tried to flash a new firmware for my BW-16D1X-U optical drive to burn Blu Ray on my laptop using SDFtool flasher. Now my asus BW-16D1X-U is detected as another drive : HL-DT-ST BD-RE_BU40N

and i can't resinstall the BW-16D1X-U's drivers or firmware (not sure what the difference is between the 2 tbh, me not being a geek) to get it back as the detected optical drive. I get a "FW udpating is closing" message while trying to reinstall the drivers. meanwhile i can't use the optical drive anymore. It won't even eject. No reaction.. I just get a sound signal while plugging it to the laptop (Using windows 11). And when i manually open the tray (using a straightened paper clip ) and put a cd inside nothing happens either...

How can i reset everything to get the original firmware back. SDFtool flasher also created a dump folder with the asus firmware but i don't know if i can get anything from it ?

Use the recovery process for the drive
In SDf tool
Pick wrong fw you flashed in this case bu40n
Then pick Asus 3.10

Koolbite

Post by Koolbite » Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:29 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:04 pm
Koolbite wrote:
Hello,

In SDf tool
Then pick Asus 3.10
Thank you for your answer !

Doesn't seem to be working though :

So I selected bu40n for the drive (the only option i have anyway :lol: )
Then picked RECOVER Drive
Then selected DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK as the firmeware to write

then the green bar is filling and i get a message saying the operation has been succesfull but nothing actually changes : Drive is still being detected as HL-DT-ST BD-RE_BU40N

Also i tried the WRITE firware option withe both bu40n and Asus3.10 .bin files (in case it was what you meant) but i get code error message.

Thanks again and sorry for possibly misunderstanding your steps.

Koolbite

Post by Koolbite » Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:22 pm

Koolbite wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:29 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:04 pm
Koolbite wrote:
Hello,

In SDf tool
Then pick Asus 3.10
Thank you for your answer !

Doesn't seem to be working though :

So I selected bu40n for the drive (the only option i have anyway :lol: )
Then picked RECOVER Drive
Then selected DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK as the firmeware to write

then the green bar is filling and i get a message saying the operation has been succesfull but nothing actually changes : Drive is still being detected as HL-DT-ST BD-RE_BU40N

Also i tried the WRITE firware option withe both bu40n and Asus3.10 .bin files (in case it was what you meant) but i get code error message.

Thanks again and sorry for possibly misunderstanding your steps.
So i finally understood that i had to pick for RECOVER Drive : first bu40n, then DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK

Now the drive is detected as BW-16D1HT (which i understand is the internal version of my BW-16D1X-U) and the tray is ejecting ! But i can't read anything yet.

Seem to be on the right path but one step is still probabably missing.

Thanks for any help !