ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 - Mac - Troubleshooting.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Jbpete

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 - Mac - Troubleshooting.

Post by Jbpete » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:22 pm

Hey Everyone,

Anyone have any ideas to help me out? Bought a BW-16D1HT 3.10 from one of the recommended sellers off of the forums. I have tried multiple UHD discs and multiple bluray disks and I can't get any rips to complete. I am using the latest version of makemkv on MacOS 11.1 Big Sur on a 2015 iMac. I get the same errors no matter what disc.

I have tried the cleaning process with the microfiber cloth and LCD screen cleaner, I have tried using different USB inputs, I have searched out just about every solution in the forums and am coming up empty handed. I have been ripping blurays and dvd's for years but wanted to get into the UHD disks to add to my Plex server. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Just got the drive for Christmas and am trying to get it up and running.

The only thing I can see that may be an issue is the drive isn't reporting how much power it needs. I have tried a 2015 iMac, 2020 MacBook m1 as well as a 2015 Mac mini and have the same issue on each computer and with each disk I have tried.

I have attached a couple of pictures I hope will be helpful. I hate to assume I got a bad drive but I'm starting to think that is the case. I have had success burning blurays using an old Samsung bluray drive but the new ASUS drive can't handle those same blur rays. Are the UHD drives really this finicky?
Attachments
USB.jpg
USB.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
Makemkv error.jpg
Makemkv error.jpg (831.27 KiB) Viewed 6053 times

jonghotti

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 - Mac - Troubleshooting.

Post by jonghotti » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:25 am

I'm sure the seller would appreciate knowing what's going on but in the event he can't get to your email immediately go ahead and drop me a line my contact in fo is in my signature. You're welcome to send a quick text as well and say hey check out my email here's what's in the subject line..
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

dcoke22

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 - Mac - Troubleshooting.

Post by dcoke22 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 pm

I have two of those OWC Mercury Pro cases connected to my iMac (Mojave 10.14.6). One has a ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.10 firmware. The other is an LG. Both report zero for "Current Required (mA)" & "Extra Operating Current (mA)" in a System Report. That makes sense because both are powered by the included power adapter and shouldn't be drawing any power from USB.

I do have a 2020 M1 MBA with Big Sur 11.1 that I have plugged my ASUS into. I successfully made a couple of rips to test it out.

Make sure you're powering the drive with the included power adapter. Try a different USB cable and a different USB port.