LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting)??

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
njweb

LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting)??

#1 Post by njweb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 pm

I did a search for 'BU40N' and 'spinning' but could not find any hits.
When I perform a disc ripping operation (e.g. with one of my UHD original discs), even after the operation has completed (100%), the drive stays in spin up mode / disc keeps spinning.
Unless I open the tray, the spinning continues indefinitely which could wear down the motor over a period of time.

Aside from manually ejecting the drive tray every time when the disc reading operation has completed, which is not a convenient solution since sometimes I leave for a while and come back an hour or more later, is there any systematic way to stop this continual spinning / spin up from happening?

Woodstock

Re: LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting

#2 Post by Woodstock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:08 pm

That may be MakeMKV trying to get around the sleep bug - a lot of UHD drives won't work after they stop spinning.

You can test this by exiting MakeMKV. If the drive doesn't stop, something else is keeping it moving.

njweb

Re: LG BU40N -keeps spinning even after reading / ripping operation has completed. How to stop this (aside from ejecting

#3 Post by njweb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks.
Sorry, to clarify, I posted here since I bought it based on recommendations here for use with MakeMKV, which I have used. This was happening with CloneBD, but I think it happens with MakeMKV too (but have not use MakeMKV for over a month). Pretty sure that even after exiting the program it continues, until I eject the tray...

Billycar11

#4 Post by Billycar11 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 pm

The default behavior of makemkv is after rip is done drive spins down you have something else causing that
Every BU40N I ever tested spins down after rip
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com