Asus BW-16D1HT: DVD and Blu-Ray regions

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
akse0435

Asus BW-16D1HT: DVD and Blu-Ray regions

Post by akse0435 »

Hi,

So, I need to change the Blu-Ray region on my Asus BW-16D1HT drive, but I can't seem to find out how to do it. When I open the properties for the drive in device manager, there's a tab for changing the DVD region. Does this also change the Blu-Ray region, or does that one need to be changed in some other way?

Also, when I purchased the drive, the DVD region was wrong, so I set it to the correct one. I then right afterwards flashed the 3.10MK firmware to make the drive UHD-compatible, but Windows still says that I can only change the DVD region four more times. Doesn't the counter get reset when I flash a firmware to the drive, and if not, how can I reset it? How many times can I change the Blu-Ray region?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:
Aksel Christoffersen
Billycar11

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT: DVD and Blu-Ray regions

Post by Billycar11 »

akse0435 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:11 am
Hi,

So, I need to change the Blu-Ray region on my Asus BW-16D1HT drive, but I can't seem to find out how to do it. When I open the properties for the drive in device manager, there's a tab for changing the DVD region. Does this also change the Blu-Ray region, or does that one need to be changed in some other way?

Also, when I purchased the drive, the DVD region was wrong, so I set it to the correct one. I then right afterwards flashed the 3.10MK firmware to make the drive UHD-compatible, but Windows still says that I can only change the DVD region four more times. Doesn't the counter get reset when I flash a firmware to the drive, and if not, how can I reset it? How many times can I change the Blu-Ray region?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:
Aksel Christoffersen
why even bother with the region? makemkv works around all of that
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

When I first tried inserting a DVD bought in Denmark, where I live, MakeMKV said, that the region was wrong and that it tried to Work around the problem, but nothing happened. I haven't seen that error with Blu-Ray discs, so for all I know the Blu-Ray region on the drive could be wrong as well, and maybe MakeMKV doesn't care when it comes to Blu-Rays.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

How old is your drive? I also have an ASUS BW-16D1HT. And I never had any problems with US DVDs while being European.
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

I bought it 2 weeks ago.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Can you copy what MakeMKV says about the drive on the right when you open it? the Drive and LibreDrive information.
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

Yes, I'll copy it when I get home from Work.

The reason I'm interested in changing the Blu-Ray region is, that I've just bought a Blu-Ray with region A, and I live in Denmark, which is region B. I haven't received the new Blu-Ray yet though, so I haven't tested it in the drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's strange - usually when I rip out-of-region BDs, I simply end up with the movie and one or more files that display, "Sorry, this is a Region X disk, and cannot be played in your player." MakeMKV doesn't care. Bluray regions are almost always enforced in the menu of the BD, not the drive.
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

OK, here is what MakeMKV says about the drive. My MakeMKV is in danish, so I've tried to translate all the danish parameters back to english.

Manufacture: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Version: 3.10
Serial number: KLZL5EB2449
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Encryption flag for databuss: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes