SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
supercodeuser

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by supercodeuser »

I'm trying to flash a HLDS BU40N. Feb. 2017 manufacturer date. It came as part of a Dell XPS desktop I bought in 2017. I've had the drive but I haven't tried to update it before since I didn't realize it was UHD compatible. But I checked on the drive label and it said "UHD player" which....led me to this thread. :)

Interestingly, I can flash with a few different matching firmware -- all without 'enc' / 'encrypted' -- and it looks like the flash works from within MakeMKV. This works both via command line or the GUI tool. Any time I've tried enabling 'enc' -- the flash doesn't update properly in MakeMKV.

I recently bought a few Mission:Impossible DVD's on Amazon Prime Day earlier this month, which came in 4k UHD, but they aren't recognized by MakeMKV, even after flashing the drive. I've tried firmware DE_LG_BU40N_1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.03-MK, and 1.04 -- each firmware version seems to update properly since I can see it on MakeMKV, but then inserting the M:I blu-ray results in 'no disc'. I've tried to clean the disc of fingerprints just to check. I can play a regular blu-ray or audio CD no problem with various firmware versions.

Is this something perhaps where Paramount has a new protection on their M:I 4k UHD discs? I don't have any other 4k UHD blu-rays on hand to test them currently.

Would certainly appreciate any advice.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

tbone56 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:37 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:54 am
tbone56 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:18 am

Thank you for the response!
It is an internal sata drive.
I do not have MakeMKV installed. I use Linux version for that.
I’ll install it on windows and try again Tuesday.
I’ll let you know how it works.
Thanks again.
Yes, you must have MakeMKV installed as the flasher is a frontend GUI for it....
I installed MakeMKV v 1.17.4
I ran SDFtool Flasher (v1.3.5)
This time I did have my dive listed in the drop down box.
I selected my internal LG_WH16NS40 drive
Clicked the WRITE Firmware selection
Selected DE_LG_WH16NS40-NS50_1.02.bin file.
Clicked Start, after a few seconds, I received an error message "Command produced error code 0x82052603".

Thank you for getting me this far.
Tom
I'm assuming your drive is new with encrypted firmware version 1.05?? If so, you cannot directly flash to WH16NS40 1.02. You should flash to WH16NS60 1.02-MK first. Then you can flash to whatever firmware you want to use. Although, I suggest you stick with WH16NS60 1.02-MK as it is fast, removes the sleep bug and works well with MakeMKV and AnyDVD software.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

supercodeuser wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:49 pm
I'm trying to flash a HLDS BU40N. Feb. 2017 manufacturer date. It came as part of a Dell XPS desktop I bought in 2017. I've had the drive but I haven't tried to update it before since I didn't realize it was UHD compatible. But I checked on the drive label and it said "UHD player" which....led me to this thread. :)

Interestingly, I can flash with a few different matching firmware -- all without 'enc' / 'encrypted' -- and it looks like the flash works from within MakeMKV. This works both via command line or the GUI tool. Any time I've tried enabling 'enc' -- the flash doesn't update properly in MakeMKV.

I recently bought a few Mission:Impossible DVD's on Amazon Prime Day earlier this month, which came in 4k UHD, but they aren't recognized by MakeMKV, even after flashing the drive. I've tried firmware DE_LG_BU40N_1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.03-MK, and 1.04 -- each firmware version seems to update properly since I can see it on MakeMKV, but then inserting the M:I blu-ray results in 'no disc'. I've tried to clean the disc of fingerprints just to check. I can play a regular blu-ray or audio CD no problem with various firmware versions.

Is this something perhaps where Paramount has a new protection on their M:I 4k UHD discs? I don't have any other 4k UHD blu-rays on hand to test them currently.

Show us your MakeMKV info.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:00 am
tbone56 wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:54 am

Yes, you must have MakeMKV installed as the flasher is a frontend GUI for it....
Clicked Start, after a few seconds, I received an error message "Command produced error code 0x82052603".

Tom
I'm assuming your drive is new with encrypted firmware version 1.05?? If so, you cannot directly flash to WH16NS40 1.02. You should flash to WH16NS60 1.02-MK first. Then you can flash to whatever firmware you want to use. Although, I suggest you stick with WH16NS60 1.02-MK as it is fast, removes the sleep bug and works well with MakeMKV and AnyDVD software.
Will do !
Thank you.
supercodeuser

Post by supercodeuser »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:04 am
supercodeuser wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:49 pm

Show us your MakeMKV info.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Your drive has flashed OK.

Try to wash the disc with warm water and liquid soap. Dry with a microfiber cloth as used to clean glasses.

If that doesn't work either the disc is defective or your drive. To check the laser try a regular BD - not UHD. If it doesn't read the BD either the blue laser is defective or polluted. If the drive reads the BD OK and it doesn't work to read the cleaned disc then return the disc and get a replacement.
supercodeuser

Post by supercodeuser »

Thank you for the feedback.

I tried cleaning the UHD disc per your description. Result: no disc.

Like I said, regular blu-ray disc play with no issues, so it seems unlikely the drive and/or laser on the drive is defective.

I'll return the two discs and perhaps try another UHD for another test. Good to hear it sounds like the drive flashed okay.
supercodeuser

Post by supercodeuser »

Update:

I had reached out to Billy about perhaps buying a new Pioneer player with the firmware flashing installed. We chatted briefly via email about my existing BU40N drive, and he also suggested cleaning the disc(s), but also the laser on the drive itself.

So I cleaned the laser on the drive with rubbing alcohol with a microfiber cloth, and then also cleaned it with a dry microfiber cloth. Checked the MakeMKV and the last firmware I had flashed yesterday was at 1.00. Then I also re-cleaned Mission:Impossible - Fallout once again with the same process, and let it all air dry. When I tested the 4k UHD BR disc, it worked! Hallelujah! Amazing how a simple clean fixed it. :) I'm running the first MakeMKV run for Mission:Impossible and it's working flawlessly.

I don't how much more mileage is in the 2017 drive I have, but it's good to go for now. If I ever need to upgrade to a Pioneer drive, I know where to look and Billy's ready-made player will be at the top of the list.

Thanks again y'all for your help! This forum, firmware and software is the best!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Glad it worked! Now you know all the hoops.
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

tbone56 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:44 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:00 am
tbone56 wrote:

Tom
Will do !
Thank you.
Got the firmware updated!
Thanks for all the help!
obviouslytom

Post by obviouslytom »

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to follow the guide and flash my LG drive to enable libredrive, however I have been failing at it. I keep receiving an error code of: 0x82052603

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rdj_jo ... drive_link

I have been trying to flash it to the following firmware: DE_LG_WH16NS40-NS50_1.02.bin

Here is a screenshot of MakeMKV:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3EPKb ... drive_link

I have read other responses that said to flash it to DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin first, then use the one above, but nothing works. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make it work? I have had this drive since 2020 (with what looks like a firmware date of 1/4/2019) and I have a few UHD discs that I want to rip for my Plex server.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

obviouslytom wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:31 pm
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to follow the guide and flash my LG drive to enable libredrive, however I have been failing at it. I keep receiving an error code of: 0x82052603

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rdj_jo ... drive_link

I have been trying to flash it to the following firmware: DE_LG_WH16NS40-NS50_1.02.bin

Here is a screenshot of MakeMKV:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3EPKb ... drive_link

I have read other responses that said to flash it to DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin first, then use the one above, but nothing works. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make it work? I have had this drive since 2020 (with what looks like a firmware date of 1/4/2019) and I have a few UHD discs that I want to rip for my Plex server.
Copy & paste the MakeMKV info for your drive.
mike710348

Post by mike710348 »

This is my drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: MOFM14B0830
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 78

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

I select the drive, choose the firmware:

DE_LG_BU40N_1.03_MK.bin

When I click start I get the attched:

Command produced error cod: 0xff05c103

I'm running Windows 11 Pro 22H2 and Windows Defender Smart Screen pops up every time I run the app - HELP
arielgon

Post by arielgon »

I am receiving the following error: "Command produced error code 0xff05c103" when selecting HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin from the All you need Firmware pack posted on your YouTube video. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ariel
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

arielgon wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:00 pm
I am receiving the following error: "Command produced error code 0xff05c103" when selecting HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin from the All you need Firmware pack posted on your YouTube video. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ariel
whats your drive info you may need or not need enc and your putting it idk not enough info here
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com