Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Post by MartyMcNuts »

AntoninHS wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:37 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:14 pm
AntoninHS wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Hello, I dont get what I'm supposed to do from here, I have a Pioneer drive. The model is the BDR-XD08EMB-S.

What am I supposed to do now ? Where do I find the firmware ?
Post your MakeMKV drive info
Actually I tried to just use MakeMKV without changing the firmware, and it seems to work so far, with my DVDs and Blu Ray, I've had no issue with like 15 discs. Here are the infos :
Informations lecteur
Nom du lecteur SE : \Device\CdRom0
Profil actuel : BD-ROM
Fabricant : PIONEER
Produit : BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Révision : 1.02
Numéro de série : [redacted]
Date micrologiciel : 2022-12-27
Marqueurs d'encryptage bus : 1B
Version AACS la plus haute : 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9331
Firmware version: ID05

Aucun disque
Yeah, no, that can't be downgraded for UHD readability as the firmware is too new. The firmware date must be prior to Dec 2022.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AntoninHS wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:37 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:14 pm
AntoninHS wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Hello, I dont get what I'm supposed to do from here, I have a Pioneer drive. The model is the BDR-XD08EMB-S.

What am I supposed to do now ? Where do I find the firmware ?
Post your MakeMKV drive info
Actually I tried to just use MakeMKV without changing the firmware, and it seems to work so far, with my DVDs and Blu Ray, I've had no issue with like 15 discs. Here are the infos :
Informations lecteur
Nom du lecteur SE : \Device\CdRom0
Profil actuel : BD-ROM
Fabricant : PIONEER
Produit : BD-RW BDR-XD08U
Révision : 1.02
Numéro de série : [redacted]
Date micrologiciel : 2022-12-27
Marqueurs d'encryptage bus : 1B
Version AACS la plus haute : 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS9331
Firmware version: ID05

Aucun disque
flashing is only needed for 4K UHD blurays not dvd and regular bluray
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
AntoninHS

Post by AntoninHS »

Okay, thank you for all these infos, and for your time ! :)
spud_gun

Post by spud_gun »

Hi folks, I'm new to MakeMKV and I'm looking to backup some UHD movies I own to digital copies

I'm going to purchase a drive for this and looking to get one that doesn't require flashing

It seems the Verbatim 43888 is the best option for now based on the last few pages, can someone confirm if this is the case?

Will any drive of that model work or do I need to ensure they're manufactured before a certain date?

Also, my understanding is they're actually a Pioneer drive in an enclosure, but the latest Pioneer drives from the factory can't be flashed with older firmware and aren't useful

Maybe someone could clear this up for me?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

spud_gun wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:45 pm
Hi folks, I'm new to MakeMKV and I'm looking to backup some UHD movies I own to digital copies

I'm going to purchase a drive for this and looking to get one that doesn't require flashing

It seems the Verbatim 43888 is the best option for now based on the last few pages, can someone confirm if this is the case?

Will any drive of that model work or do I need to ensure they're manufactured before a certain date?

Also, my understanding is they're actually a Pioneer drive in an enclosure, but the latest Pioneer drives from the factory can't be flashed with older firmware and aren't useful

it far from the best option its ok its only the best if you dont want to get a flashed drive
the best are 5.25 pioneers with old fw see seller section for that.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
spud_gun

Post by spud_gun »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:53 pm
spud_gun wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:45 pm

it far from the best option its ok its only the best if you dont want to get a flashed drive
the best are 5.25 pioneers with old fw see seller section for that.
Thanks Billy car

I'll probably go with the Verbatim for now and see how it goes

Mind if I ask what makes the Pioneer drives better? There's a lot of reviews saying they're better but I'm curious what sets them apart from the others (speed, quality, reliability or something else)?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

spud_gun wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Thanks Billy car

I'll probably go with the Verbatim for now and see how it goes

Mind if I ask what makes the Pioneer drives better? There's a lot of reviews saying they're better but I'm curious what sets them apart from the others (speed, quality, reliability or something else)?
better build quality
they last long
lasers dont die like on lg and asus
ArbitraryRenaissance

Post by ArbitraryRenaissance »

I'm trying to flash on my Linux system, and I've been running into issues with the process. The instructions don't give any linux-specific commands, but I figured it wouldn't be too different from the instructions given for Mac. Here's what MakeMKV says about my drive:
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 14:40
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 64
I noticed that "makemkvcon f" is just an alias for "sdftool", but the syntax for this tool seems to have changed, because the syntax in the instructions were failing. The command I ended up running that seemed to actually do something was the following:

Code: Select all

sdftool -d /dev/sr0 rawflash -i /path/to/DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.02_MK.bin
This appeared to successfully flash the drive, but when I started burning disks, the LibreDrive information given on MakeMKV was still indicating that I didn't have patched firmware:
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
So I thought maybe I had encrypted firmware, since I recently bought this drive. I ran the command

sdftool -d /dev/sr0 rawflash enc -i /path/to/DE_LG_WH16NS40-NS50_1.02.bin
and this produced error code 0x82052400. I tried the same command without the "enc" flag, and produced the same error. In fact, even rerunning the first command also produces this error. I'm worried I might have bricked the drive, but if I haven't, I'm going to need some help figuring out how to get it working properly again.

EDIT: Okay, drive is definitely not bricked. It can still read and extract the contents of some BluRay disks. But it can't read UHDs.
jeisom

Post by jeisom »

I have a BH14NS40 manufactured in 2012. I tried updating the firmware using "makemkvcon f -d '/dev/sr0' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /tmp/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin" and it updated, but now it doesn't acknowledge a disk is in the drive. I have a motherboard that lists IDE mode, legacy and native option, but whenever I try to downgrade with 'sdftool' it still has the same firmware listed. "SDFtool flasher" won't open(no error) and Dosflash gives an error as well in a WinPE 10 environment.

I did a configuration dump, but only after the initial flash.

Any Suggestions?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

jeisom wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:55 am
I have a BH14NS40 manufactured in 2012. I tried updating the firmware using "makemkvcon f -d '/dev/sr0' -f /tmp/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /tmp/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin" and it updated, but now it doesn't acknowledge a disk is in the drive. I have a motherboard that lists IDE mode, legacy and native option, but whenever I try to downgrade with 'sdftool' it still has the same firmware listed. "SDFtool flasher" won't open(no error) and Dosflash gives an error as well in a WinPE 10 environment.

I did a configuration dump, but only after the initial flash.

Any Suggestions?
Regrettably, you missed this in the 1st post:

STOP READ BEFORE FLASHING
IMPORTANT Before you flash:

1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2016 on label or late 2015 if you want to risk it.
2. Drive Platform MT1959<Most important in makemkv
3. SVC NS50+ LG only on label for NB drives NB50+
4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers

Few have succeeded in recovering their drives... most do not.
jeisom

Post by jeisom »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:03 am
]Regrettably, you missed this in the 1st post:

1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2016 on label or late 2015 if you want to risk it.
4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers

Yeah, I missed that. If I continue to try, what firmware file should I try downgrading to? I can only find the firmware BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe and patched versions, but not the file extracted. I want to try from dos as a last ditched effort, but obviously need the correct file.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jeisom wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:57 pm
d00zah wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:03 am
]Regrettably, you missed this in the 1st post:

Yeah, I missed that. If I continue to try, what firmware file should I try downgrading to? I can only find the firmware BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe and patched versions, but not the file extracted. I want to try from dos as a last ditched effort, but obviously need the correct file.
See recovery section of guide

You want to be on WH16NS60 1.00 with the bootloader flashed to that too.

I have a recovery kit that can get you half there but you still need to be able to do the dos flash part on your own.

And I no longer give it out and take payment later quite literally I have given it to 50 + people and not 1 has paid.

Email me if you want the recovery kit. See below.
jeisom

Post by jeisom »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:22 pm

See recovery section of guide

You want to be on WH16NS60 1.00 with the bootloader flashed to that too.

I have a recovery kit that can get you half there but you still need to be able to do the dos flash part on your own.

And I no longer give it out and take payment later quite literally I have given it to 50 + people and not 1 has paid.

Email me if you want the recovery kit. See below.
After trying from dos and only getting mtk intro errors I decided to just find a used drive. The odds were not high to begin with on a successful recovery. When I get the newer drive I will ask about that before proceeding next time.

Thanks
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

you need the be on wh16ns60 1.00 with the bootloader also on that version read the guide recovery section

Post by 766875 »

Picked up another LG drive (BP50NB40) as my existing LG drive (BP60NB10) was throwing up errors on every disc I tried. It worked perfectly for months before.

Tried flashing the BP50NB40 but so far no luck. I tried downgrading too. Any ideas on what I'm missing.

./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/0AC881AF' -f /Users/xxx/Downloads/sdf.bin rawflash full main -i /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin

./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/0AC881AF' -f /Users/xx/Downloads/sdf.bin rawflash full main -i /Users/stuartcopland/Downloads/Hybrid_Firmware_for_BP50NB40_to_BP60NB10/DE_LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD.bin