Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
paraw

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Post by paraw »

Hi all, my old ASUS drive just died, so I decided to upgrade to a UHD drive, and I bought a Hitachi-LG BU40N.
Reading the pinned post at the beginning of this thread, it seems like I'll have to flash its firmware, which I'm OK with. My question is the following: I read that "The only flasher anyone should be using now is Martys SDF GUI"; is there an alternative for Linux users, or must I do the flashing on Windows?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

paraw wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 am
Hi all, my old ASUS drive just died, so I decided to upgrade to a UHD drive, and I bought a Hitachi-LG BU40N.
Reading the pinned post at the beginning of this thread, it seems like I'll have to flash its firmware, which I'm OK with. My question is the following: I read that "The only flasher anyone should be using now is Martys SDF GUI"; is there an alternative for Linux users, or must I do the flashing on Windows?
i should add to that if oyur on windows use that.
but just use the commands i posted for Linux
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
paraw

Post by paraw »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:17 am
paraw wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 am
i should add to that if oyur on windows use that.
but just use the commands i posted for Linux
Cool, thanks!
Just to be 100% sure, I assume the firmware will be encrypted, and so I'll use the rawflash enc option to flash the 1.03MK. But would it allow downgrade, if my firmware is, say, the 1.04? (I don't know the actual version yet because I haven't yet received the drive).
zgamer

Post by zgamer »

Hey guys,

I apologize if this seems like a very rudimentary post asking these questions. I've been using MakeMKV for years with Blu-Ray and never had any issues with it. But now that I bought a BP60NB10 LG UltraHD drive and learned there is this whole firmware situation (why even sell a UHD player if it won't even play the disc???), I've been trying to make sense of these exploit instructions.

I downloaded the sdftool and the makemkv firmware pack that has been recommended by most, but I'm unsure which file to use. It just reads like Greek to me.

Again, sorry if this seems like someone who's just an amateur (which I guess I am), but I have an extensive movie collection that I would love to finally be able to rip those 4K discs that have been sitting on my shelves and it's weird that this would be such an immediate and senseless roadblock.

All of the other details seem correct too. MT1959 Drive platform and such.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

zgamer wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:27 am
Hey guys,

I apologize if this seems like a very rudimentary post asking these questions. I've been using MakeMKV for years with Blu-Ray and never had any issues with it. But now that I bought a BP60NB10 LG UltraHD drive and learned there is this whole firmware situation (why even sell a UHD player if it won't even play the disc???), I've been trying to make sense of these exploit instructions.

I downloaded the sdftool and the makemkv firmware pack that has been recommended by most, but I'm unsure which file to use. It just reads like Greek to me.

Again, sorry if this seems like someone who's just an amateur (which I guess I am), but I have an extensive movie collection that I would love to finally be able to rip those 4K discs that have been sitting on my shelves and it's weird that this would be such an immediate and senseless roadblock.

BP60NB10 1.02-MK
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
zgamer

Post by zgamer »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:26 pm
zgamer wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:27 am
Hey guys,

BP60NB10 1.02-MK
Thank you!
Johnqmalapert

Post by Johnqmalapert »

Ok, so I tried a little experiment. My drive (UH12NS40 flashed to WH16NS60) compared to the 3 drives below, all flashed to the recommended FW version stated on this thread sticky. (AIO fw pack).

Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK
ASUS BW-16D1HT
LG BP60NB10

I ripped 16 of my discs. 8 succeeded and 8 failed. Those that failed - I ran them through several times in each drive. Cleaned the disc (no visible damage) restarted the pc, etc. They all reported errors like below:

OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom2'
Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '
Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading

It seems to me something was wrong with these discs. My player broke so I have no way of testing them. So here's the question:

Will a pioneer drive succeed where all 4 of these drives failed? Are the pio's that good? If not, I think I'll stick with my NS40 and call it a day at 50% success rate.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Now you opened another post. Why? I told you already that Pioneers read critical discs better than all of your LG drives ( some rebranded). However, there is no guarantee if the discs are just bad pressings etc. but your failure rate is just not normal. Flash the ASUS to LG BH16NS60 1.02. Wash the discs with liquid soap and warm water. Dry with a microfiber cloth as used for cleaning glasses. Try again. If all fail, contact a seller in your region and get a Pioneer.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:32 pm
Now you opened another post. Why? I told you already that Pioneers read critical discs better than all of your LG drives ( some rebranded). However, there is no guarantee if the discs are just bad pressings etc. but your failure rate is just not normal. Flash the ASUS to LG BH16NS60 1.02. Wash the discs with liquid soap and warm water. Dry with a microfiber cloth as used for cleaning glasses. Try again. If all fail, contact a seller in your region and get a Pioneer.
Good advice Coopervid :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
sjd101

Post by sjd101 »

Hi
I am getting an "Internal error 0x83000001
I have an Archgon UHD Drive. From reading the pinned post on Page 1 it appears that I need Firmware Pack BU40N. In the list there is a selection of BU40N options. Tried BU40N-N-Main which gives me the error. Should I be using one of the other options? Some help would be appreciated
Thanks

After playing about with the command I am now getting error 0xffffffff
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

sjd101 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:53 am
Hi
I am getting an "Internal error 0x83000001
I have an Archgon UHD Drive. From reading the pinned post on Page 1 it appears that I need Firmware Pack BU40N. In the list there is a selection of BU40N options. Tried BU40N-N-Main which gives me the error. Should I be using one of the other options? Some help would be appreciated
Thanks

After playing about with the command I am now getting error 0xffffffff
Please provide a screenshot of the right-hand side panel of MakeMKV when it opens. Does it say firmware 1-02?

Asmcom
sjd101

Post by sjd101 »

Hi
Couldnt see how to embed an image in the message so I have attached it as a file. Hope you can view
Regards
Simon

Cant see how to view attachment once posted. Its on version 1.14 of Firmware
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

No. We can't. Just copy and paste the text.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

sjd101 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:27 pm
Hi
Couldnt see how to embed an image in the message so I have attached it as a file. Hope you can view
Regards
Simon

Cant see how to view attachment once posted. Its on version 1.14 of Firmware
Looks like you have a Pioneer BDR-UD04 fitted to your Archgon which should work no problem.

Send a screenshot to our email address.

uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com

Asmcom
sjd101

Post by sjd101 »

Thanks
See below

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14