Post by SafetyThird »

by the way, the regular dvd disk plays fine so the drive appears to be working
Coopervid

Re: Newbie with a drive question§

Post by Coopervid »

SafetyThird wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:57 pm
by the way, the regular dvd disk plays fine so the drive appears to be working
I would not flash this drive as it doesn't confirm that it is based on the MT1959 chip. And Buffalo and ASUS are just rebadged drives. So this could be incompatible to flash. There's a chance it will be a door stop afterwards.
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Thanks for the suggestion to not flash the drive, I'll leave it as is for now then.

I did a backup with decryption of a non-4k Bluray yesterday and it completed fine so ripping the non-4k disk seems to run ok. I've decided to order a 4k disk and see what the drive does when I throw a disk in and if Makemkv can rip it without doing anything further.

I read somewhere that the version 1.00 firmware doesn't need flashing and, if that's the case, perhaps my drive will work without modification. Should know in a couple of days.
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Just an update. 4k disk arrived this afternoon and couldn't be recognised. Did a bit more reading on here and found another thread that said that the EU versions of this drive don't have the BU40N drive inside so that explains that.

Have ordered a verbatim 43888 from amazon uk which should be here tomorrow and, all being well, allow me to rip my 4k disk out of the box.

Thanks to everyone who offered help, it's much appreciated.