Question regarding LG BH16NS40-NS50

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SFScooterboy

Question regarding LG BH16NS40-NS50

Post by SFScooterboy »

Hello. I'm new to this DVD/BR ripping thing. I have a LG BH16NS40-NS50 drive and just started using MakeMKV to rip my collection of DVDs, BluRay, and HD DVD discs to upload to my PLEX server. Everything was going great until I tried ripping my HD DVD discs. The drive won't even recognize them. When I tried reflashing the firmware from 1.03 to 1.05 (not sure why) using SDFtool Flasher, I get error code 0xff23d101. The drive is suppose to be capable of BDXL.

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Is this drive just not compatible with HD DVD?

I was reading in these forums that the Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD is the best drive to use, but only if it has the older firmware from 2022. Is this true? The only drives I can find on eBay seem to be of more recent manufacture.

Are there other drives that would work better?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Question regarding LG BH16NS40-NS50

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SFScooterboy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:47 am
Hello. I'm new to this DVD/BR ripping thing. I have a LG BH16NS40-NS50 drive and just started using MakeMKV to rip my collection of DVDs, BluRay, and HD DVD discs to upload to my PLEX server. Everything was going great until I tried ripping my HD DVD discs. The drive won't even recognize them. When I tried reflashing the firmware from 1.03 to 1.05 (not sure why) using SDFtool Flasher, I get error code 0xff23d101. The drive is suppose to be capable of BDXL.

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Is this drive just not compatible with HD DVD?

I was reading in these forums that the Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD is the best drive to use, but only if it has the older firmware from 2022. Is this true? The only drives I can find on eBay seem to be of more recent manufacture.

Are there other drives that would work better?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
That drive cannot read HD DVD discs. Those discs became defunct around 2010 and new drives can't read them. You would require a really old drive model from around 2008-2011 that is specifically HD-DVD capable.

I'm actually assuming you are talking about HD-DVD discs that lost the war with Blu-ray discs and not UHD discs. If you are talking about UHD discs, ignore everything I have said.

If you are after a Pioneer drive, the only way to get one with old firmware is from a seller on this forum that's ships to your region.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
SFScooterboy

Post by SFScooterboy »

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm talking about HD DVD and not UHD. So I guess I'm out of luck with this drive then. I have an old LG GGC-H20L lying around. I think that one will read these discs. If so, I assume MakeMKV can then rip the video?
SFScooterboy

Post by SFScooterboy »

Any idea on the other issue I'm having with my BH16NS40-NS50 getting an 0xff23d101 error when trying to update its firmware?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SFScooterboy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:21 am
Any idea on the other issue I'm having with my BH16NS40-NS50 getting an 0xff23d101 error when trying to update its firmware?
So, what firmware did the drive have before you flashed it?
What firmware is on it now?
What firmware were you trying to flash that gave you errors?
Did you ensure there is no disc in the drive and the tray is closed when attempting to flash?

Show us the MakeMKV info pane (right hand side) so we can assist further.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com