Marty or anyone else please help...MakeMKV not working with LG WH16NS40?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: Marty or anyone else please help...MakeMKV not working with LG WH16NS40?

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:03 am

isamu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:35 am
Hmmm....OK seems the video does play for a little bit but then suddenly freezes after about 2 minutes in, while the audio continues to play. Any ideas what I can do to remedy this, or is VLC just a shitty player for UHDs?
i have not tested this yet on pioneers but lg drives are know to have playback issues i had alot of complaints for direct playback when i used to sell them.
but asmcom tested directplay back with 5.25 pioneers and said there were no freezes like what happens on LG/asus drives.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:13 am

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:03 am
isamu wrote:
Hmmm....OK seems the video does play for a little bit but then suddenly freezes after about 2 minutes in, while the audio continues to play. Any ideas what I can do to remedy this, or is VLC just a shitty player for UHDs?
i have not tested this yet on pioneers but lg drives are know to have playback issues i had alot of complaints for direct playback when i used to sell them.
but asmcom tested directplay back with 5.25 pioneers and said there were no freezes like what happens on LG/asus drives.
Yeah I think you're right and this does appear to be the case. Luckily, I was already ahead of the game, and ordered an external drive called the Verbatim 43888 slim drive for laptops. If I remember reading correctly, someone mentioned they have an older Pioneer drive inside them that works right out the box with MKV. Can you confirm this to be true?

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:04 am

isamu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:13 am
Billycar11 wrote:
isamu wrote:
Yeah I think you're right and this does appear to be the case. Luckily, I was already ahead of the game, and ordered an external drive called the Verbatim 43888 slim drive for laptops. If I remember reading correctly, someone mentioned they have an older Pioneer drive inside them that works right out the box with MKV. Can you confirm this to be true?
sadly also known to have playback issues as i said 5.25 pioneers are the way to go
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:25 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:04 am
isamu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:13 am
Billycar11 wrote:

sadly also known to have playback issues as i said 5.25 pioneers are the way to go
Hmmm... any specific model you can recommend?

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:03 pm

Any of the latest 5.25 pioneer s13 models with old firmware
Last edited by Billycar11 on Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:33 pm

Ahhh I just noticed you're a reseller here for the Pioneer drives. Awesome. I'm gonna cancel my order for the Verbatim 43888 and when I'm ready, I'll grab a Pioneer from ya. 8)

On a side note, I'd like to respond to the comments both you and Marty made earlier, suggesting I rip my discs. Yes, this is the course of action I plan to go with eventually but unfortunately for now, I simply don't have the HDD space to rip any UHDs.

Assuming I plan on buying a fairly decent amount of UHDs in the not too distant future, totaling what will probably end up being somewhere between 75-100 discs, what size hard drive do you recommend I get, that would comfortably hold 100 UHDs no problem?

segfaulted

Post by segfaulted » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:07 pm

isamu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:33 pm
Assuming I plan on buying a fairly decent amount of UHDs in the not too distant future, totaling what will probably end up being somewhere between 75-100 discs, what size hard drive do you recommend I get, that would comfortably hold 100 UHDs no problem?
A typical UHD rip is anywhere from 70-90 GB so a 10 TB hard drive would be a good size to start.

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:48 am

Hi guys. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend.

OK so I went ahead and ripped my first UHD disc....Fists of Fury, MKV. It's layer 3 and despite this particular drive(LG WH16NS40) being known to give trouble with reading/ripping, it actually went flawlessly.

However, here's the thing... how can I create a UDF, ISO, or whatever extension I need, to turn this into a virtual disc so I can mount it on a virtual drive? I'd prefer to watch my ripped discs as actual discs, and unfortunately MKV has no option to rip discs as 1:1 copies. Can you recommend a program to turn this Fists of Fury UHD folder into a mountable disc?

segfaulted

Post by segfaulted » Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:18 am

isamu wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:48 am
However, here's the thing... how can I create a UDF, ISO, or whatever extension I need, to turn this into a virtual disc so I can mount it on a virtual drive? I'd prefer to watch my ripped discs as actual discs, and unfortunately MKV has no option to rip discs as 1:1 copies. Can you recommend a program to turn this Fists of Fury UHD folder into a mountable disc?
ImgBurn can create iso files. It's old but gets the job done.

isamu

Post by isamu » Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:50 am

Thank you. I had forgotten about imgburn. Fortunately, I just realized with VLC, I can simply select open disc>Bluray>browse>select the folder and it plays straight up like a normal disc. I just wish MPC-BE supported disc menus for blurays.

iredmc

Post by iredmc » Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:21 pm

I have the same drive, but every program just says there's no disc in the drive. Do I need to use a VPN as well for it to work?

On Windows, it just acts like I haven't put any media in the drive, even if I did, and any flashing programs just fail to flash. Normal blurays read fine, but 4K ones just won't work at all. On Mac, the drive actually ejects the disc when it stops "trying" to read it, on Windows this doesn't happen, still the same result, failure.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:53 am

iredmc wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:21 pm
I have the same drive, but every program just says there's no disc in the drive. Do I need to use a VPN as well for it to work?

On Windows, it just acts like I haven't put any media in the drive, even if I did, and any flashing programs just fail to flash. Normal blurays read fine, but 4K ones just won't work at all. On Mac, the drive actually ejects the disc when it stops "trying" to read it, on Windows this doesn't happen, still the same result, failure.
Show us your makemkv drive info section.

iredmc

Post by iredmc » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:16 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:53 am
iredmc wrote:

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 14:40
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted

isamu

Post by isamu » Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:26 am

iredmc wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:16 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:53 am
iredmc wrote:

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 14:40
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted
1.05 is not gonna cut it bro. You need to flash it to fw DE_LG_WH16NS60-1.02MK.bin