Bought a drive, so many problems.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
el_Cheffe

Bought a drive, so many problems.

Post by el_Cheffe » Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:10 am

I bought a drive from a recommended seller on these forums. I have no suspicion of malice, but I'm not sure If I have a bum drive, bad discs, or bad luck. it's an LG . Seller has been responsive, but I'm new to ripping 4ks (no issues before with blus and DVDs).

Initially, everything failed, 4ks and standard blue, on my main desktop PC with this drive (all Macs, if that matters). I tried a new cable and have had a few successful rips.

Since, I would say my success rate is around 40%. I do my best to polish with a microfibre eyeglass cloth, although I haven't tried chemicals. I get MT2S hash checks error, typically. Every time I get optimistic that maybe it will perform better, I get a stream of failures that is sapping my soul.

This is the drive info.

Any advice is welcome.

MartyMcNuts

Re: Bought a drive, so many problems.

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:11 pm

el_Cheffe wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:10 am
I bought a drive from a recommended seller on these forums. I have no suspicion of malice, but I'm not sure If I have a bum drive, bad discs, or bad luck. it's an LG . Seller has been responsive, but I'm new to ripping 4ks (no issues before with blus and DVDs).

Initially, everything failed, 4ks and standard blue, on my main desktop PC with this drive (all Macs, if that matters). I tried a new cable and have had a few successful rips.

Since, I would say my success rate is around 40%. I do my best to polish with a microfibre eyeglass cloth, although I haven't tried chemicals. I get MT2S hash checks error, typically. Every time I get optimistic that maybe it will perform better, I get a stream of failures that is sapping my soul.

This is the drive info.

Any advice is welcome.
It's possible your Mac's ports may not be providing enough constant power. It might be an idea to try a USB hub with it's own power supply.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

el_Cheffe

Post by el_Cheffe » Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:56 am

So I've tried 2 different cables, the ports on the Mac, as well as a powered hub (Sonnettech Echo 11 Thunderbolt 4 Dock).

Still 80% failure rate with 4k. Rarely a 1080 blu fails, DVDs have been fine.

Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk4' at offset '24607850496'
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk4' at offset '24607850496'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '24607850496'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '24607850496'

this is one error.

Another error I've received (On other failed rips) has a link;

https://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/

I've also manually changed the drive read speed to 2x (speed_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.00_211612201528_SIK04O4292714 = "0=99;U3=8") to see if that would work. no dice.

Any advice?

Thanks

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 » Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:02 am

Pioneers are the recommended drive for UHD.
but if you got it from a seller just exchange it with them shows them the errors follow their troubleshooting steps if that proves its dead then boom exchange

for my customers i pay shipping both ways if its defective

and you can always leave them a review good or bad exchange experience.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

el_Cheffe

Post by el_Cheffe » Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:15 am

I initially bought a Pioneer XS07, retail, but the firmware is January 2023. It hasn't failed once (excluding UHD, obvs)

Today I received this error on a brand new sealed 1080p, on the LG;

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00022.m2ts' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00022.m2ts' at offset '0'

Successful rip on the pioneer right after (no cleaning in-between).

All sorts of different errors I've encountered.

I've sent the seller an update, they seem genuine and honest so I'm hoping to rule out any issues on my end first before requesting a more costly or inconvenient remedy. This is a niche hobby for everyone here and I appreciate that normal (as in not big business) people are taking the time to provide drives and troubleshoot so we can all enjoy our media and backup our libraries.

el_Cheffe

Post by el_Cheffe » Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:46 pm

Here's some screenshots of the errors. Mix of two different computers (M2 MacMiniPro and M1Pro MacBook, two different cables (included one with dual USB A for extra power and usb C cable.) some on a powered hub, some plugged directly in.

sometimes I get this error (especially with the cable that came with the drive, which has yet to produce a successful 4k rip)

http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/….

4 of these discs in the screen shots were sealed before trying to rip. One (Ponyo) was a 1080p blurry.

All told, I've had 4 successful 4k rips on 25+ discs and 60-70 attempts. Most 1080p rips do work, however.

Would love some insight.

**Trying to attached screen shots but it won't let me**

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:07 pm

The USB-C cable should provide more than enough power. By specification, a USB-C port has more than 10x the power available than a USB-A port. I think the USB-C cable would be the recommended way to use the drive on your Macs.

Generally, this forum doesn't let users post attachments anymore. You can use Imgur or some other post-pictures-on-the-internet service if you like.