Pioneer BDR-212EBK to flash or not to flash...

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
BD_For_Dummies

Pioneer BDR-212EBK to flash or not to flash...

#1 Post by BD_For_Dummies » Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:00 pm

Hi everyone :D , been following the forum for a while leading up to a possible purchase of a drive but ideally wanting it to be 4k UHD capable so used this forum to try and narrow it down to the best one but just today realised I had this Pioneer BDR-212EKB drive sat about from a PC I previously stripped so I have dug it out and it has a MFD OCTOBER 2020, My question is,
how good is this drive, is it worth keeping?
will it or can it read/rip 4k ultra blu-rays? if yes what do I need to do to it to make it 4k capable?
Is there a recommended cable/housing for it to use it as an external drive on my pc? (High end gaming pc with no optical bays :cry: )

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am honestly clueless at this point as to what my next move it with it...

dcoke22

Re: Pioneer BDR-212EBK to flash or not to flash...

#2 Post by dcoke22 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:58 pm

Plug it into your computer or put it in an external case and show us what MakeMKV says about it.

Billycar11

#3 Post by Billycar11 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:55 am

Yeah it's worth flashing.
If you want email me for a automated flasher.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

BD_For_Dummies

#4 Post by BD_For_Dummies » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:15 pm

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed response. just a quick update on the drive. Ive plugged it in via my pc and a usb sata adapter cable and both ways no sign of life on it, no power light and pc doesn't even recognise anything being plugged in so Im back to square 1 as this one is dead.

If anyone can recommend or point me in the direction of a drive which is UHD friendly to buy preferably a pioneer but open to other brands if needed that would be great im in the UK and any help would greatly apricated even if you guys may have a good one I could buy that's an option too.

MartyMcNuts

#5 Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:35 am

BD_For_Dummies wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:15 pm
Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed response. just a quick update on the drive. Ive plugged it in via my pc and a usb sata adapter cable and both ways no sign of life on it, no power light and pc doesn't even recognise anything being plugged in so Im back to square 1 as this one is dead.

If anyone can recommend or point me in the direction of a drive which is UHD friendly to buy preferably a pioneer but open to other brands if needed that would be great im in the UK and any help would greatly apricated even if you guys may have a good one I could buy that's an option too.
Do you mean you tried it internally using the PC power supply and a SATA cable then also tried using a USB/SATA powered adapter?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com

BD_For_Dummies

#6 Post by BD_For_Dummies » Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:43 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:35 am
BD_For_Dummies wrote:

Do you mean you tried it internally using the PC power supply and a SATA cable then also tried using a USB/SATA powered adapter?
Yeah I tried exactly that with no sign of power or anything to the drive.

MartyMcNuts

#7 Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:59 pm

BD_For_Dummies wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:43 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:35 am
BD_For_Dummies wrote:

Yeah I tried exactly that with no sign of power or anything to the drive.
Yep, must be dead then! Time for a new drive!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com