Verbatim 43888 "No disc inserted"

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Patappa

Verbatim 43888 "No disc inserted"

#1 Post by Patappa » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:59 pm

Hey folks,

Long-time makemkv forum reader, first-time poster. I was recently inspired by some other posts on this forum to invest in a 4K-compatible drive and read folks mention that the Verbatim 43888 works "out of the box" -- recently imported from the UK into the states and it put me back about $120 (aside from the problems following, this wasn't the worst deal ever): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MTP9VKX

Anyway, I loaded this up in MakeMKV and the Info seemed to read exactly as I've seen in other folks' posts:
Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Unfortunately, when I put in any 4K disk, it just says "No disc inserted." It reads DVDs just fine but it hasn't read any of the five 4K disks I've tried. I feel like this problem is probably outside MakeMKV, but I'm out of ideas and hoping someone has a theory! Anyone know what I should try?

MartyMcNuts

Re: Verbatim 43888 "No disc inserted"

#2 Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:47 am

Patappa wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:59 pm
Hey folks,

Long-time makemkv forum reader, first-time poster. I was recently inspired by some other posts on this forum to invest in a 4K-compatible drive and read folks mention that the Verbatim 43888 works "out of the box" -- recently imported from the UK into the states and it put me back about $120 (aside from the problems following, this wasn't the worst deal ever): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MTP9VKX

Anyway, I loaded this up in MakeMKV and the Info seemed to read exactly as I've seen in other folks' posts:
Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Unfortunately, when I put in any 4K disk, it just says "No disc inserted." It reads DVDs just fine but it hasn't read any of the five 4K disks I've tried. I feel like this problem is probably outside MakeMKV, but I'm out of ideas and hoping someone has a theory! Anyone know what I should try?
Did you test a standard BD disc?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com

Patappa

#3 Post by Patappa » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:06 am

Looks like normal blu-rays are having the same problem as 4K's and also coming up with "no disc inserted."

Before I had only tested with American blu-rays and it didn't work but I assumed it was because this was a region B player, but now I've just tried with an all-region disk from Indicator and it also did not work.

MartyMcNuts

#4 Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:47 pm

Patappa wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:06 am
Looks like normal blu-rays are having the same problem as 4K's and also coming up with "no disc inserted."

Before I had only tested with American blu-rays and it didn't work but I assumed it was because this was a region B player, but now I've just tried with an all-region disk from Indicator and it also did not work.
Maybe the blue laser is no good??

Does the OS see the BD disc?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com

Patappa

#5 Post by Patappa » Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:23 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:47 pm
Patappa wrote:

The OS does not seem to see the BD, nope... :(

Well, I guess I'll have to see what Verbatim support can do. I appreciate the theorizing -- I'll report back here in case other folks end up having similar problems with the 43888 in the future.

MartyMcNuts

#6 Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:26 am

Patappa wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:23 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:47 pm
Patappa wrote:

The OS does not seem to see the BD, nope... :(

Well, I guess I'll have to see what Verbatim support can do. I appreciate the theorizing -- I'll report back here in case other folks end up having similar problems with the 43888 in the future.
Might be easier to just return it.

DerWom

#7 Post by DerWom » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:22 pm

Patappa wrote:
Anyone know what I should try?
Yep - that is excatly the drive I got.

Have you tried another USB Port ? I've seen errors on one port...

Patappa

#8 Post by Patappa » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:48 pm

DerWom wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:22 pm
Patappa wrote:
Anyone know what I should try?
Yep - that is excatly the drive I got.

Have you tried another USB Port ? I've seen errors on one port...
I have! I've tried basically every port on three different computers and they've had the same issue: DVD's work fine but blu-ray and 4K disks don't. I think it's most likely a problem with the blue laser. Bums me out to get this kind of hardware issue considering returning it internationally is going to be annoying (already had a frustrating interaction with Verbatim support where they said importing it "makes no sense" because it "can be purchased within the USA")